PDA

View Full Version : fan replacement

lamba
August 13th 07, 09:55 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for a fan replacement that will fit a MSI GeForce 6600
GT. The AGP kind. I have googled and search, but still confused. Right
now I have a small fan hooked to it that I had laying around. It is
just a temporary fix. My temp went up to 77 (and I think still rising
when I shut the system down). Where before it was at 60 or 61, and
this is just idle. The fan that I put there brought it back down to 60
and seems to be staying at that temp.

I don't have much money to spend. If I send it back to MSI it will be
the second time I have done this.

Thanks in advance if you can help me.
Laurie

First of One[_2_]
August 13th 07, 11:20 PM
Does your card's cooler look like this one?

Then install this heat sink/fan assembly in place of the stock one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118124

Installation tips and warnings can be found here:
http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cooler/VF700_6600GT_eng.html

"lamba" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for a fan replacement that will fit a MSI GeForce 6600
> GT. The AGP kind. I have googled and search, but still confused. Right
> now I have a small fan hooked to it that I had laying around. It is
> just a temporary fix. My temp went up to 77 (and I think still rising
> when I shut the system down). Where before it was at 60 or 61, and
> this is just idle. The fan that I put there brought it back down to 60
> and seems to be staying at that temp.
>
> I don't have much money to spend. If I send it back to MSI it will be
> the second time I have done this.
>
> Thanks in advance if you can help me.
> Laurie

rms[_2_]
August 13th 07, 11:36 PM
> I am looking for a fan replacement that will fit a MSI GeForce 6600
> GT.

Ok, have you tried cleaning and lubricating the fan. My experience with
these tiny fans is they are under-lubed out of the factory and soon fail or
whine and vibrate. After lubing, they go for 6 months or longer with no
issues. You might need to peel back the sticker on the middle of the fan to
expose the bearings.

Look for a small spray bottle of this lubricant: Inox. Good hardware
stores will have it, or order online. I swear by it for computer fan
lubrication.

rms

Kevin Weaver
August 13th 07, 11:53 PM
"lamba" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for a fan replacement that will fit a MSI GeForce 6600
> GT. The AGP kind. I have googled and search, but still confused. Right
> now I have a small fan hooked to it that I had laying around. It is
> just a temporary fix. My temp went up to 77 (and I think still rising
> when I shut the system down). Where before it was at 60 or 61, and
> this is just idle. The fan that I put there brought it back down to 60
> and seems to be staying at that temp.
>
> I don't have much money to spend. If I send it back to MSI it will be
> the second time I have done this.
>
> Thanks in advance if you can help me.
> Laurie

When you sent it back the 1st time did they charge you ?
If not, I would send it back again.

You go inside and mess something up there off the hook.

lamba
August 14th 07, 12:20 AM
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 18:20:59 -0400, "First of One" >
wrote:

>Does your card's cooler look like this one?
>http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1714
>
>Then install this heat sink/fan assembly in place of the stock one.
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118124
>
>Installation tips and warnings can be found here:
>http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cooler/VF700_6600GT_eng.html

Yes it does look like that card.

I have been looking at those.

Thank you for you help
Laurie

lamba
August 14th 07, 12:20 AM
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:36:04 -0600, "rms"
> wrote:

>> I am looking for a fan replacement that will fit a MSI GeForce 6600
>> GT.
>
> Ok, have you tried cleaning and lubricating the fan. My experience with
>these tiny fans is they are under-lubed out of the factory and soon fail or
>whine and vibrate. After lubing, they go for 6 months or longer with no
>issues. You might need to peel back the sticker on the middle of the fan to
>expose the bearings.
>
> Look for a small spray bottle of this lubricant: Inox. Good hardware
>stores will have it, or order online. I swear by it for computer fan
>lubrication.
>
>rms

I was going to lubricate the fan (have done that before on other fans
and it worked). But when I went to take the card out, the fan was not
spinning, and it looked broke.

Thank you for help.
Laurie

lamba
August 14th 07, 12:20 AM
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:53:13 -0700, "Kevin Weaver"
> wrote:

>"lamba" > wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am looking for a fan replacement that will fit a MSI GeForce 6600
>> GT. The AGP kind. I have googled and search, but still confused. Right
>> now I have a small fan hooked to it that I had laying around. It is
>> just a temporary fix. My temp went up to 77 (and I think still rising
>> when I shut the system down). Where before it was at 60 or 61, and
>> this is just idle. The fan that I put there brought it back down to 60
>> and seems to be staying at that temp.
>>
>> I don't have much money to spend. If I send it back to MSI it will be
>> the second time I have done this.
>>
>> Thanks in advance if you can help me.
>> Laurie
>
>When you sent it back the 1st time did they charge you ?
>If not, I would send it back again.
>
>You go inside and mess something up there off the hook.

No they did not charge me. I don't want to send it back again. Then
again six months down the road.

Thank you for your input.
Laurie

Kevin Weaver
August 14th 07, 02:28 AM
"lamba" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:53:13 -0700, "Kevin Weaver"
> > wrote:
>
>>"lamba" > wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am looking for a fan replacement that will fit a MSI GeForce 6600
>>> GT. The AGP kind. I have googled and search, but still confused. Right
>>> now I have a small fan hooked to it that I had laying around. It is
>>> just a temporary fix. My temp went up to 77 (and I think still rising
>>> when I shut the system down). Where before it was at 60 or 61, and
>>> this is just idle. The fan that I put there brought it back down to 60
>>> and seems to be staying at that temp.
>>>
>>> I don't have much money to spend. If I send it back to MSI it will be
>>> the second time I have done this.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance if you can help me.
>>> Laurie
>>
>>When you sent it back the 1st time did they charge you ?
>>If not, I would send it back again.
>>
>>You go inside and mess something up there off the hook.
>
> No they did not charge me. I don't want to send it back again. Then
> again six months down the road.
>
> Thank you for your input.
> Laurie

Who's to say this one won't last ? You say you want to save money. They will
fix it for free. Call them, Explain that you can't be without your computer
and see if they will cross-ship you one out.

Or spend 30.00 plus and buy one then what happens if it happens again ?
Your going to be in the same boat as you are now.
They will fix it for free. If you want to save money, looks like the way to
go.

I've had my share of video card problems in the past. That's why I only buy
from a company that offers a cross-ship and I just swap them out and send it
back. And I always ask for a call tag. Nothing out of pocket.

jdc
August 14th 07, 06:53 AM
lamba wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for a fan replacement that will fit a MSI GeForce 6600
> GT. The AGP kind. I have googled and search, but still confused. Right
> now I have a small fan hooked to it that I had laying around. It is
> just a temporary fix. My temp went up to 77 (and I think still rising
> when I shut the system down). Where before it was at 60 or 61, and
> this is just idle. The fan that I put there brought it back down to 60
> and seems to be staying at that temp.
>
> I don't have much money to spend. If I send it back to MSI it will be
> the second time I have done this.
>
> Thanks in advance if you can help me.
> Laurie

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=173&code=013

jdc
August 14th 07, 06:56 AM
jdc wrote:

> lamba wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am looking for a fan replacement that will fit a MSI GeForce 6600
>> GT. The AGP kind. I have googled and search, but still confused. Right
>> now I have a small fan hooked to it that I had laying around. It is
>> just a temporary fix. My temp went up to 77 (and I think still rising
>> when I shut the system down). Where before it was at 60 or 61, and
>> this is just idle. The fan that I put there brought it back down to 60
>> and seems to be staying at that temp.
>>
>> I don't have much money to spend. If I send it back to MSI it will be
>> the second time I have done this.
>>
>> Thanks in advance if you can help me.
>> Laurie
>

> http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=173&code=013

Edit: Looks as if I erred. It was for the 6600 series but not GT.

lamba
August 14th 07, 05:10 PM
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 22:56:48 -0700, jdc <[email protected]> wrote:

>jdc wrote:
>
>> lamba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am looking for a fan replacement that will fit a MSI GeForce 6600
>>> GT. The AGP kind. I have googled and search, but still confused. Right
>>> now I have a small fan hooked to it that I had laying around. It is
>>> just a temporary fix. My temp went up to 77 (and I think still rising
>>> when I shut the system down). Where before it was at 60 or 61, and
>>> this is just idle. The fan that I put there brought it back down to 60
>>> and seems to be staying at that temp.
>>>
>>> I don't have much money to spend. If I send it back to MSI it will be
>>> the second time I have done this.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance if you can help me.
>>> Laurie
>>

>> http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=173&code=013
>
>Edit: Looks as if I erred. It was for the 6600 series but not GT.

Thank you for trying. :)
Laurie

jdc
August 17th 07, 07:56 PM
lamba wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 22:56:48 -0700, jdc <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>jdc wrote:

>>>http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=173&code=013
>>
>>Edit: Looks as if I erred. It was for the 6600 series but not GT.
>

> Thank you for trying. :)
> Laurie
THis one will work, I just read forums of others using it.
Zalman VF700Cu

lamba
August 17th 07, 10:13 PM
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:56:27 -0700, jdc <[email protected]> wrote:

>lamba wrote:

>>>Edit: Looks as if I erred. It was for the 6600 series but not GT.
>>

>> Thank you for trying. :)
>> Laurie
>THis one will work, I just read forums of others using it.
>Zalman VF700Cu

Thank you for your input, I have also read many different forums on
the Zalmans.

So I ordered this one from Newegg:
ZALMAN LED VGA COLR VF700LED - ALCU. I will post and let everyone know
how the install went.

Now about that. I HATE UPS!! I was suppose to get it today. But, UPS
decided to reschedule it for Monday. UPS has done this before, they
let it sit in a city that is 1 hour away from me. Stupid me, I should
have spent a little more and went Fedex. Newegg rocks though.
Laurie

lamba
August 21st 07, 11:38 PM
wrote:

>Does your card's cooler look like this one?
>http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1714
>
>Then install this heat sink/fan assembly in place of the stock one.
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118124
>
>Installation tips and warnings can be found here:
>http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cooler/VF700_6600GT_eng.html

Just wanted to say that I have finished installing the heatsink/fan
like the one you posted.

I found a sight that showed how to modify the ram heatsinks.
http://forum.ncix.com/forums/displaylink.cfm?link=http://www.eirikso.com/2005/04/26/silencing-an-xfn-geforce-6600-gt-with-a-zalman-vf700-cu/

It wasn't hard, but it wasn't that easy either. Of course it is taking
up a pci slot, and it sticks out, but that is not a big deal for me,
because I can still close the side of my case. And I don't need the
extra slot.

My temps are about the same as with the stock one. At idle 57 to 58.
As long as it doesn't get much higher I will be happy.

Thank you to everyone who replied.
Laurie