PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane vs. the world


nemo[_2_]
August 10th 07, 04:48 PM
I did a little reading on the new AMD core, Brisbane. It looks like
this is the 65 nm version of the dual core X64. According to
AnandTech, the power is only a little lower than the 90 nm versions
and is about the same as the Intel 65 nm chips. This review also
seemed to indicate that the Intel E6600 is much faster than the X64
5000+. But It looks like the E6600 is a *much* pricier chip too.

Some of the reviews I read seemed to indicate significant improvements
are due out about this time. Is there anything I should wait a little
bit for that will provide a big performance boost or price drop?

I am looking to build a new system with the best performance for a
lower price. You might say I am looking to build a system just at the
knee in the price/performance curve where you get the best bang for
the buck and obsolescence is not such a problem (you're not investing
so much that it will hurt to replace it in a couple of years).

Any suggestions on what I should look at in the way of processors and
mobos?

Wes Newell
August 10th 07, 06:51 PM
On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:48:03 -0700, nemo wrote:

> Any suggestions on what I should look at in the way of processors and
> mobos?

This is the best bang for the buck right now.

http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/ads.aspx?advid=2519&adid=4879220&subid=17181567

--
Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm

nemo[_2_]
August 10th 07, 07:45 PM
On Aug 10, 1:51 pm, Wes Newell > wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:48:03 -0700, nemo wrote:
> > Any suggestions on what I should look at in the way of processors and
> > mobos?
>
> This is the best bang for the buck right now.
>
> http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/ads.aspx?advid=2519&adid=4879220&s...

Thanks for the info, but that doesn't do me any good since I am not in
the Dallas area.

I don't see where Fry's has this offer online.

Wes Newell
August 10th 07, 10:50 PM
On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:45:31 -0700, nemo wrote:

> On Aug 10, 1:51 pm, Wes Newell > wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:48:03 -0700, nemo wrote:
>> > Any suggestions on what I should look at in the way of processors and
>> > mobos?
>>
>> This is the best bang for the buck right now.
>>
>> http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/ads.aspx?advid=2519&adid=4879220&s...
>
> Thanks for the info, but that doesn't do me any good since I am not in
> the Dallas area.
>
> I don't see where Fry's has this offer online.

Try their store locator. May be one near you.

http://shop2.outpost.com/ac/storelocator

--
Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm

oldwolf[_2_]
August 11th 07, 03:55 AM
Brisbane chips are pretty good, but be aware that the temp monitoring on
them, (not the windsor or others), is stuffed.
Check the AMD forums......
http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=85837&enterthread=y


"nemo" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I did a little reading on the new AMD core, Brisbane. It looks like
> this is the 65 nm version of the dual core X64. According to
> AnandTech, the power is only a little lower than the 90 nm versions
> and is about the same as the Intel 65 nm chips. This review also
> seemed to indicate that the Intel E6600 is much faster than the X64
> 5000+. But It looks like the E6600 is a *much* pricier chip too.
>
> Some of the reviews I read seemed to indicate significant improvements
> are due out about this time. Is there anything I should wait a little
> bit for that will provide a big performance boost or price drop?
>
> I am looking to build a new system with the best performance for a
> lower price. You might say I am looking to build a system just at the
> knee in the price/performance curve where you get the best bang for
> the buck and obsolescence is not such a problem (you're not investing
> so much that it will hurt to replace it in a couple of years).
>
> Any suggestions on what I should look at in the way of processors and
> mobos?
>