PDA

View Full Version : 1440x900 on a FX5200 128Mb AGP 8X


Kroma
July 29th 07, 06:40 PM
Hi,

My trusty FX5200 128mb AGP 8X has given excellent service over the past 4
years. I hope it will continue to do so but...

I'm hoping to upgrade my monitor from a 17" CRT to an LG L194WT 19"
Widescreen Monitor with a 1440x900 native resolution.
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/125736

I can't find any sold evidence online that my graphics card will support
this resolution and, if it does, what will the available refresh rates and
colour depths be? Would I be likely to find that my system slows down at all
or would that not be related to the graphics card?

I currently run at 75Hz and have become so accustomed to it that 60Hz is now
unbearable to be.

Is it true that connecting via DVI allows greater resolutions and refresh
rates?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kroma

Patrick Vervoorn
July 29th 07, 09:17 PM
In article >,
Kroma > wrote:

>My trusty FX5200 128mb AGP 8X has given excellent service over the past 4
>years. I hope it will continue to do so but...
>
>I'm hoping to upgrade my monitor from a 17" CRT to an LG L194WT 19"
>Widescreen Monitor with a 1440x900 native resolution.
>http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/125736
>
>I can't find any sold evidence online that my graphics card will support
>this resolution and, if it does, what will the available refresh rates and
>colour depths be? Would I be likely to find that my system slows down at all
>or would that not be related to the graphics card?

Can't say for certain for your card, but I have an even older Ti4200 card
which drives a 1680x1050 LCD screen, via de DVI-port, without any
problems...

>I currently run at 75Hz and have become so accustomed to it that 60Hz is now
>unbearable to be.
>
>Is it true that connecting via DVI allows greater resolutions and refresh
>rates?

Actually, when you switch to an LCD, refreshrates becomes more or less
irrelevant, since LCD don't need to be refreshed like CRT had to be.

So even if the LCD you're looking at claims it has a preferred resolution
of 1440x900 @ 60Hz, you won't be looking at a 60Hz 'flickery' image like
you would be on a CRT.

Best would be to perhaps try to look at this screen, in real life, in a
store nearby, so that you can then also play a bit with the screen's own
controls, and perhaps review the settings of the PC driving that screen.

Image quality between different brands of LCDs differs a lot, at least,
that has been my experience when I went shopping for one...

Regards,

Patrick.

First of One[_2_]
July 30th 07, 01:36 AM
"Kroma" > wrote in message
...
> My trusty FX5200 128mb AGP 8X has given excellent service over the past 4
> years. I hope it will continue to do so but...

Well, after 4 years, you've certainly gotten your $50's worth...

> I'm hoping to upgrade my monitor from a 17" CRT to an LG L194WT 19"
> Widescreen Monitor with a 1440x900 native resolution.
> http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/125736
>
> I can't find any sold evidence online that my graphics card will support
> this resolution and, if it does, what will the available refresh rates and
> colour depths be?

The monitor should come with a driver disc. Use that or download it from
http://gb.lgservice.com . The monitor drivers, when installed, will add
1440x900 to the slider in Display Properties.

> Would I be likely to find that my system slows down at all or would that
> not be related to the graphics card?

In 2D, 1440x900 poses no problem for any modern video card, including yours.
In 3D the FX5200 is slow in any resolution on any monitor. :-)

> I currently run at 75Hz and have become so accustomed to it that 60Hz is
> now unbearable to be.

LCD panels use fundamentally different technology. Because each liquid
crystal element remains steady until it needs to change, there is no
flickering. 60 Hz on an LCD is far easier on the eyes than 75 Hz on a CRT.

> Is it true that connecting via DVI allows greater resolutions and refresh
> rates?

Nope. Because DVI allows for an all digital connection between the video
card and monitor, a DVI-connected monitor requires fewer adjustments with
regards to geometry, pincushion, moire, timing, etc. to achieve a "perfect"
picture. DVI may also give a slightly sharper image.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

Benjamin Gawert
July 30th 07, 10:47 AM
* Kroma:

> My trusty FX5200 128mb AGP 8X has given excellent service over the past 4
> years. I hope it will continue to do so but...
>
> I'm hoping to upgrade my monitor from a 17" CRT to an LG L194WT 19"
> Widescreen Monitor with a 1440x900 native resolution.
> http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/125736
>
> I can't find any sold evidence online that my graphics card will support
> this resolution and, if it does, what will the available refresh rates and
> colour depths be? Would I be likely to find that my system slows down at all
> or would that not be related to the graphics card?

Nope. You should have done some searching with groups.google.com before
posting, you could have found the solution by yourself.

First, widescreen resolutions are not listed in the driver if there is
no widescreen display connected to the gfx card. That means you won't
see 1440x900 until you connect the display to your computer.

Second, some crap FX5200 and FX5500 cards have a buggy BIOS that limit
DVI output to 1280x1024 and below. So you might be forced to analog
connection if your card falls within this category.

Third, the available resolutions and refresh rates are limited by the
RAMDAC (for analog displays like CRTs or TFTs with VGA only) and the
TMDS transmitter (for digital displays, usually 60Hz and 72Hz). The
FX5200 has an SingleLink TMDS transmitter which means max. resolution is
1920x1200 at 60Hz if the card doesn't suffer from the above mentioned
bug. The colour depth is usually limited by the amount of gfx memory.
For a FX5200 with usually 64MB or more there is enough memory to display
all resolutions with millions of colors.

> I currently run at 75Hz and have become so accustomed to it that 60Hz is now
> unbearable to be.

Maybe with a CRT. With a TFT (which isn't a line scan display like a
CRT) there is no flickering and 60Hz is more than sufficient.

> Is it true that connecting via DVI allows greater resolutions and refresh
> rates?

No.

Benjamin

DaveW[_4_]
August 1st 07, 12:00 AM
DVI connections do NOT allow greater video settings. Your card is too
underpowered to power that higher resolution LCD monitor at reasonable frame
rates.

--
---------------------
DaveW
"Kroma" > wrote in message
...
> Hi,
>
> My trusty FX5200 128mb AGP 8X has given excellent service over the past 4
> years. I hope it will continue to do so but...
>
> I'm hoping to upgrade my monitor from a 17" CRT to an LG L194WT 19"
> Widescreen Monitor with a 1440x900 native resolution.
> http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/125736
>
> I can't find any sold evidence online that my graphics card will support
> this resolution and, if it does, what will the available refresh rates and
> colour depths be? Would I be likely to find that my system slows down at
> all or would that not be related to the graphics card?
>
> I currently run at 75Hz and have become so accustomed to it that 60Hz is
> now unbearable to be.
>
> Is it true that connecting via DVI allows greater resolutions and refresh
> rates?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Kroma
>

Benjamin Gawert
August 3rd 07, 01:59 PM
* DaveW:

> DVI connections do NOT allow greater video settings. Your card is too
> underpowered to power that higher resolution LCD monitor at reasonable frame
> rates.

Still not knowing ****, DaveW? Why don't you shut up if you don't have a
clue?

FYI: SingleLink DVI (which is what the FX5200 has) supports up to
1920x1200, DualLink DVI even more. A FX5200 does 1440x900 over DVI just
fine if it isn't one of the few that suffered from a buggy BIOS that
artificially limit DVI to 1280x1024 max. This is only the case on a few
cheap FX5200 and FX5500, though.

And as to the FX5200 being to slow: well, this is generally nonsense. A
FX5200 is a low end card but older games run just fine on 1440x900.

But then, you're DaveW, the biggest bull****ter on earth. So what else
should we expect...

Benjamin