PDA

View Full Version : pshufb

July 28th 07, 04:57 PM
For some reason, the pshufb instruction does not work on my
AMD Athlon 64. I tried it in 32 bit mode, and I get an illegal
instruction message from Windows.

According to this:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485...

it should support SSE3.

Any ideas why pshufb doesn't work?

dave
> For some reason, the pshufb instruction does not work on my
> AMD Athlon 64. I tried it in 32 bit mode, and I get an illegal
> instruction message from Windows.
>
> According to this:
>

> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485...
>

> it should support SSE3.
>

> Any ideas why pshufb doesn't work?

Can you post the binary or hex encoding of the pshufb instruction that is
causing the illegal instruction exception?

--
Be Happy. Don't Worry about the difference between lose and loose.

July 29th 07, 07:12 AM
On Jul 28, 9:23 am, dave > wrote:
> wrote:
> > For some reason, the pshufb instruction does not work on my
> > AMD Athlon 64. I tried it in 32 bit mode, and I get an illegal
> > instruction message from Windows.
>
> > According to this:
>
> >http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485...
>
> > it should support SSE3.
>
> > Any ideas why pshufb doesn't work?
>
> Can you post the binary or hex encoding of the pshufb instruction that is
> causing the illegal instruction exception?
>
> --
> Be Happy. Don't Worry about the difference between lose and loose.

It is the following five bytes:

0x66
0x0F
0x38
0x00
0xC1

dave
> On Jul 28, 9:23 am, dave > wrote:
>> wrote:
>> > For some reason, the pshufb instruction does not work on my
>> > AMD Athlon 64. I tried it in 32 bit mode, and I get an illegal
>> > instruction message from Windows.
>>
>> > According to this:
>>
>> >http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485...
>>
>> > it should support SSE3.
>>
>> > Any ideas why pshufb doesn't work?
>>
>> Can you post the binary or hex encoding of the pshufb instruction that is
>> causing the illegal instruction exception?
>>
>> --
>> Be Happy. Don't Worry about the difference between lose and loose.
>
> It is the following five bytes:
>
> 0x66
> 0x0F
> 0x38
> 0x00
> 0xC1

All the google searches I've done on pshufb indicate that this instruction is SSE4.

--
Be Happy. Don't Worry about the difference between lose and loose.

dave
> On Jul 28, 9:23 am, dave > wrote:
>> wrote:
>> > For some reason, the pshufb instruction does not work on my
>> > AMD Athlon 64. I tried it in 32 bit mode, and I get an illegal
>> > instruction message from Windows.
>>
>> > According to this:
>>
>> >http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485...
>>
>> > it should support SSE3.
>>
>> > Any ideas why pshufb doesn't work?
>>
>> Can you post the binary or hex encoding of the pshufb instruction that is
>> causing the illegal instruction exception?
>>
>> --
>> Be Happy. Don't Worry about the difference between lose and loose.
>
> It is the following five bytes:
>
> 0x66
> 0x0F
> 0x38
> 0x00
> 0xC1

Sandpile.org says pshufb is *Supplemental* SSE3 (SSSE3) which is a follow-on to
SSE3.

--
Be Happy. Don't Worry about the difference between lose and loose.

July 29th 07, 05:14 PM
On Jul 29, 7:20 am, dave > wrote:
> wrote:

> >> Can you post the binary or hex encoding of the pshufb instruction that is
> >> causing the illegal instruction exception?
>
> >> --
> >> Be Happy. Don't Worry about the difference between lose and loose.
>
> > It is the following five bytes:
>
> > 0x66
> > 0x0F
> > 0x38
> > 0x00
> > 0xC1
>
> Sandpile.org says pshufb is *Supplemental* SSE3 (SSSE3) which is a follow-on to
> SSE3.
>
> --
> Be Happy. Don't Worry about the difference between lose and loose.- Hide quoted text -

Okay. It looks like it is SSSE3.