PDA

View Full Version : WHQL certification is a load of ********!

Revolt
July 27th 07, 09:04 PM
I had my suspicions before but now I am certain that Microsoft WHQL
certification is a joke. How much does Microsoft charge for certifying
drivers anyway? One penny would be too much because the latest Vista64
driver from nvidia effs up my CRT monitor. Obviously they were only ever
tested with an LCD at 60hz. Every time I change the resolution these drivers
cause my monitor to lose vertical sync and go into a fit. Things like this
can actually damage hardware. I had to go get the drivers that EVGA has for
Vista64. They worked with no issues at all on the same CRT. It's hard to
believe Vista has been out this long and nvidia still can't get a handle on
the driver aspect of things. Good hardware is no good with ****ty drivers.

Kevin Weaver
July 27th 07, 10:01 PM
"Revolt" > wrote in message
m...
>I had my suspicions before but now I am certain that Microsoft WHQL
>certification is a joke. How much does Microsoft charge for certifying
>drivers anyway? One penny would be too much because the latest Vista64
>driver from nvidia effs up my CRT monitor. Obviously they were only ever
>tested with an LCD at 60hz. Every time I change the resolution these
>drivers cause my monitor to lose vertical sync and go into a fit. Things
>like this can actually damage hardware. I had to go get the drivers that
>EVGA has for Vista64. They worked with no issues at all on the same CRT.
>It's hard to believe Vista has been out this long and nvidia still can't
>get a handle on the driver aspect of things. Good hardware is no good with
>****ty drivers.

I agree. Newest one's from nvidia will not allow me to set anything higher
then 60hz FP Monitor.

At 1024x768 I set it for 75hz but it won't allow it. Keeps going back to 60
Maybe I should have stayed with ATI :(

Guest[_4_]
July 28th 07, 12:20 AM
"Kevin Weaver" > wrote in message
> "Revolt" > wrote in message
> m...
>>I had my suspicions before but now I am certain that Microsoft WHQL
>>certification is a joke. How much does Microsoft charge for certifying
>>drivers anyway? One penny would be too much because the latest Vista64
>>driver from nvidia effs up my CRT monitor. Obviously they were only ever
>>tested with an LCD at 60hz. Every time I change the resolution these
>>drivers cause my monitor to lose vertical sync and go into a fit. Things
>>like this can actually damage hardware. I had to go get the drivers that
>>EVGA has for Vista64. They worked with no issues at all on the same CRT.
>>It's hard to believe Vista has been out this long and nvidia still can't
>>get a handle on the driver aspect of things. Good hardware is no good with
>>****ty drivers.
>
> I agree. Newest one's from nvidia will not allow me to set anything higher
> then 60hz FP Monitor.
>
> At 1024x768 I set it for 75hz but it won't allow it. Keeps going back to
> 60
> Maybe I should have stayed with ATI :(

Well that is the standard for my monitor so I don't care. I actually like
this drive more than the others. The images are crisper and cleaner. The
zoom feature on the LCD actually works as if it is off this time!
Everything seems to be moving faster and smoother. Even games look more
detailed. I like it.

First of One[_2_]
July 28th 07, 06:03 AM
Usually when the word "certification" is used, the certifying authority is a
well-respected organization (ISO, CSA, JEDEC, etc.) Microsoft isn't known
for producing stable, bug-free software, so a Microsoft certification is
quite worthless. Recall the certified 8x.xx XP 32-bit drivers that were
killing select LG and Samsung monitors through a new "Direct Access"
feature.

Did you try a different monitor timing mode (CVT, DMT, GTF, etc.)?

"Revolt" > wrote in message
m...
>I had my suspicions before but now I am certain that Microsoft WHQL
>certification is a joke. How much does Microsoft charge for certifying
>drivers anyway? One penny would be too much because the latest Vista64
>driver from nvidia effs up my CRT monitor. Obviously they were only ever
>tested with an LCD at 60hz. Every time I change the resolution these
>drivers cause my monitor to lose vertical sync and go into a fit. Things
>like this can actually damage hardware. I had to go get the drivers that
>EVGA has for Vista64. They worked with no issues at all on the same CRT.
>It's hard to believe Vista has been out this long and nvidia still can't
>get a handle on the driver aspect of things. Good hardware is no good with
>****ty drivers.

Revolt
July 28th 07, 08:00 AM
"First of One" > wrote in message
> Usually when the word "certification" is used, the certifying authority is
> well-respected organization (ISO, CSA, JEDEC, etc.) Microsoft isn't known
> for producing stable, bug-free software, so a Microsoft certification is
> quite worthless. Recall the certified 8x.xx XP 32-bit drivers that were
> killing select LG and Samsung monitors through a new "Direct Access"
> feature.
>
> Did you try a different monitor timing mode (CVT, DMT, GTF, etc.)?

No, but think I will stay with the EVGA recommended driver for now. I don't
have a monitor .inf file so that may be the reason too. One I have on disk
won't load on Vista64. But if older drivers don't cause this issue then new
ones shouldn't either. I loaded the latest XP nvidia driver on the same
hardware and had no issue, it's just the Vista6 one that is causing it. Now
way these should have got WHQL certification. If they damaged my CRT I would
sue them for damages in small claims court. Might be a good for the Judge
Judy show. :)

Conor
July 28th 07, 08:59 PM
In article >, Revolt
says...
> I had my suspicions before but now I am certain that Microsoft WHQL
> certification is a joke. How much does Microsoft charge for certifying
> drivers anyway? One penny would be too much because the latest Vista64
> driver from nvidia effs up my CRT monitor. Obviously they were only ever
> tested with an LCD at 60hz. Every time I change the resolution these drivers
> cause my monitor to lose vertical sync and go into a fit. Things like this
> can actually damage hardware. I had to go get the drivers that EVGA has for
> Vista64. They worked with no issues at all on the same CRT. It's hard to
> believe Vista has been out this long and nvidia still can't get a handle on
> the driver aspect of things. Good hardware is no good with ****ty drivers.

You misunderstand WHQL certification. It's about software
compatibility, not supporting cheap **** monitors which can't even pass
timing info over the VGA connection properly.

--
Conor

It arrived at their repair center last week so only another month or so
to wait

Revolt
July 29th 07, 06:33 AM
"Conor" > wrote in message
t...
> You misunderstand WHQL certification. It's about software
> compatibility, not supporting cheap **** monitors which can't even pass
> timing info over the VGA connection properly.

That's funny, all the other drivers work fine. Explain that dumbass. And we
are talking about a top end Trinitron CRT and not some POS LCD that
displays blacks as some sort of muddy grey. Nimrod.