PDA

View Full Version : n590 chipset upgrade to n680

Leigh-Anne Mills
July 23rd 07, 07:44 AM
I have a n590 chipset mobo with 2 x 7800GTX in sli, and its about that time
i did an upgrade.

1) Does anyone know if a new nvidia chipset is coming out to update the n680

2) Whats the best directx 10 card to go for.

3) Does the new chipsets support DVD-Roms via Sata

4) Thinking of putting 4Gb of memory in, would this be ok

Thx

LA

Keith Alger
July 23rd 07, 12:12 PM
To be honest your PC should still be a pretty powerful beast with that sort
of set up (would a CPU upgrade be a better option?).

To your points:

1) I dont believe Nvidia have released news of any new chipsets yet, which
means even if they have them in the pipeline it will be months before they
appear. Unless you are looking at a CPU with high Front Sped Bus there is
little point in even upgrading to the 680 from the 590.

2) The Best directx 10 cards on the market are the nVidia 8800 series,
though nVidia was making noise about the follow up to the 8800's pretty much
from launch. ATi have really dropped the ball at the moment, their DX10
chipsets coming to market very late and without the expected performance.

3) Certainly the nVidia 680 chipsets support DVD-Roms via Sata, its all down
to the BIOS on the motherboard.

4) Unless you are looking at running a 64 bit system, there is little point
in putting 4Gb of RAM into a new PC. A 32bit OS will only map an adress
space of 4Gb, that includes your RAM, Video RAM (mapping) and many of your
other peripherals, this can easily start to aproach 2GB!

Keith Alger