PDA

View Full Version : 94.24 Driver Problem 7900GTX

columbotrek
July 22nd 07, 06:35 PM
After installing the 94.24 driver, I was not able to select my usual
1680 X 1050 screen resolution. The highest I am offered is 1600 X 900.
The nVidia control panel has my monitor identified correctly. With that
selected, my text looks a little blurred, and my graphics lacks its
usual snap. Reverting to the old 84.63 driver correct things.

Platform Dell XPS400 2GB
Monitor Dell 2007WFP
CPU 7900GTX
OS Windows XP with current patches

What gives?

Thanks.

Mr.E Solved!
July 22nd 07, 07:49 PM
columbotrek wrote:
> After installing the 94.24 driver, I was not able to select my usual
> 1680 X 1050 screen resolution. The highest I am offered is 1600 X 900.
> The nVidia control panel has my monitor identified correctly. With that
> selected, my text looks a little blurred, and my graphics lacks its
> usual snap. Reverting to the old 84.63 driver correct things.
>
> Platform Dell XPS400 2GB
> Monitor Dell 2007WFP
> CPU 7900GTX
> OS Windows XP with current patches
>
> What gives?
>
> Thanks.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_162.18.html

columbotrek
July 23rd 07, 01:40 AM
Mr.E Solved! wrote:
> columbotrek wrote:
>> After installing the 94.24 driver, I was not able to select my usual
>> 1680 X 1050 screen resolution. The highest I am offered is 1600 X
>> 900. The nVidia control panel has my monitor identified correctly.
>> With that selected, my text looks a little blurred, and my graphics
>> lacks its usual snap. Reverting to the old 84.63 driver correct things.
>>
>> Platform Dell XPS400 2GB
>> Monitor Dell 2007WFP
>> CPU 7900GTX
>> OS Windows XP with current patches
>>
>> What gives?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_162.18.html
Thanks for the link. Looking at the release notes for that package, I
do not see 1680 X 1050 32 bit listed. Guess that means I stay with the
old drivers a while more.

Mr.E Solved!
July 23rd 07, 02:38 AM
columbotrek wrote:
> Mr.E Solved! wrote:
>> columbotrek wrote:
>>> After installing the 94.24 driver, I was not able to select my usual
>>> 1680 X 1050 screen resolution. The highest I am offered is 1600 X
>>> 900. The nVidia control panel has my monitor identified correctly.
>>> With that selected, my text looks a little blurred, and my graphics
>>> lacks its usual snap. Reverting to the old 84.63 driver correct things.
>>>
>>> Platform Dell XPS400 2GB
>>> Monitor Dell 2007WFP
>>> CPU 7900GTX
>>> OS Windows XP with current patches
>>>
>>> What gives?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_162.18.html
> Thanks for the link. Looking at the release notes for that package, I
> do not see 1680 X 1050 32 bit listed. Guess that means I stay with the
> old drivers a while more.

You can assign 1680x1050w as a custom resolution with those drivers (and
others as well). Would you like to know more?

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_7.html

The problem is not with the Forceware drivers, either the 94.24s or the
162s. They both handle widescreen. Fix it!

Pablo Contreras[_2_]
July 25th 07, 12:06 PM
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 14:49:51 -0400, "Mr.E Solved!"
> wrote:

>columbotrek wrote:
>> After installing the 94.24 driver, I was not able to select my usual
>> 1680 X 1050 screen resolution. The highest I am offered is 1600 X 900.
>> The nVidia control panel has my monitor identified correctly. With that
>> selected, my text looks a little blurred, and my graphics lacks its
>> usual snap. Reverting to the old 84.63 driver correct things.
>>
>> Platform Dell XPS400 2GB
>> Monitor Dell 2007WFP
>> CPU 7900GTX
>> OS Windows XP with current patches
>>
>> What gives?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_162.18.html

Sorry to be Mr Cynical here but when it says "Beta" drivers does that
mean they are not officially guaranteed to work?

Pablo.

Mr.E Solved!
July 25th 07, 02:24 PM
Pablo Contreras wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 14:49:51 -0400, "Mr.E Solved!"
> > wrote:
>
>> columbotrek wrote:
>>> After installing the 94.24 driver, I was not able to select my usual
>>> 1680 X 1050 screen resolution. The highest I am offered is 1600 X 900.
>>> The nVidia control panel has my monitor identified correctly. With that
>>> selected, my text looks a little blurred, and my graphics lacks its
>>> usual snap. Reverting to the old 84.63 driver correct things.
>>>
>>> Platform Dell XPS400 2GB
>>> Monitor Dell 2007WFP
>>> CPU 7900GTX
>>> OS Windows XP with current patches
>>>
>>> What gives?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_162.18.html
>
> Sorry to be Mr Cynical here but when it says "Beta" drivers does that
> mean they are not officially guaranteed to work?
>
> Pablo.

No, it's a something of a cyclical not cynical, definition: If you do
not know what BETA means, you should not install them.

BETA is industry jargon for a software suite which has been tested in
house in the ALPHA stage, found satisfactory and now considered ready to
be released to those individuals and organizations who have the
technical understanding and variety of hardware to further test the
software by using it in its intended fashion.

BETA software can either be slightly modified from the prior version to
correct discovered flaws (its intended purpose) or experimental with new
features.

Users who use BETA software and who discover a flaw should document it
and submit it to the developer, who will then attempt to reproduce it
and fix it.

There are other, lesser considerations with BETA software, but
user-assisted QA is the primary factor in releasing a beta to the public.

First of One[_2_]
July 26th 07, 01:20 AM
Strictly speaking all drivers provided on nVidia's web site (with the
exception of Quadro certified drivers) are just there "for reference",
without any guarantees or support. On paper, you are supposed to only use
drivers that have been further tested by the board vendor.

"Pablo Contreras"
**--thanks--**>
wrote in message ...
> Sorry to be Mr Cynical here but when it says "Beta" drivers does that
> mean they are not officially guaranteed to work?
>
> Pablo.

Pablo Contreras
July 30th 07, 09:30 AM
>Pablo Contreras wrote:
>>
>> Sorry to be Mr Cynical here but when it says "Beta" drivers does that
>> mean they are not officially guaranteed to work?
>
>No, it's a something of a cyclical not cynical, definition: If you do
>not know what BETA means, you should not install them.
>
>BETA is industry jargon for a software suite which has been tested in
>house in the ALPHA stage, found satisfactory and now considered ready to
>be released to those individuals and organizations who have the
>technical understanding and variety of hardware to further test the
>software by using it in its intended fashion.
>
>BETA software can either be slightly modified from the prior version to
>correct discovered flaws (its intended purpose) or experimental with new
>features.
>
>Users who use BETA software and who discover a flaw should document it
>and submit it to the developer, who will then attempt to reproduce it
>and fix it.
>
>There are other, lesser considerations with BETA software, but
>user-assisted QA is the primary factor in releasing a beta to the public.

I'll go with that definition: "If you do not know what BETA means,
you should install them." Thanks!! :-)

Pablo.