PDA

View Full Version : 6800 drivers

tony h
July 22nd 07, 11:27 AM
got myself a 2nd hand 6800, passive cooled (low budget, and noise!) i'm
guessing the later drivers dont address any issues for this card, so what
would be the best, stable version suitable? i'm sure this may be a can of
worms, and things are subjective, but opinions welcomed.
thanks

Dorph[_2_]
July 22nd 07, 01:42 PM
> got myself a 2nd hand 6800, passive cooled (low budget, and noise!) i'm
> guessing the later drivers dont address any issues for this card, so what
> would be the best, stable version suitable? i'm sure this may be a can of
> worms, and things are subjective, but opinions welcomed.
> thanks
Why are people always asking for drivers for this and that
card - Just go to Nvidias site and it will ask what card u
have, what operating sys u have - and then it will give u
the latest driver. If it is xp u run it will suggest ver 94.24

D:

tony h
July 22nd 07, 04:54 PM
because the nvidia site always suggests the latest drivers, and i know from
experience that sometimes older driver sets work better with older cards,
and some of us value the opinion of other users.
i'm sorry if it causes you offence, but sometimes latest isn't greatest.
another point is that there are at least 2 different 3rd party driver sets
for both nvidia and ati, with little experience of these, rather than
download, say, 5 sets of each (15 driver sets) and go through the rigmarole
of running 3dmark on each, then uninstalling (being careful to remove all
traces) before trying the next...
forgot to mention, o/s xp pro sp2, athlon64 3k, 1gb ram (well behind the
times, i know)

any constructive comments welcome,
thanks

"Dorph" > wrote in message
k...
>> got myself a 2nd hand 6800, passive cooled (low budget, and noise!) i'm
>> guessing the later drivers dont address any issues for this card, so what
>> would be the best, stable version suitable? i'm sure this may be a can of
>> worms, and things are subjective, but opinions welcomed.
>> thanks
> Why are people always asking for drivers for this and that
> card - Just go to Nvidias site and it will ask what card u
> have, what operating sys u have - and then it will give u
> the latest driver. If it is xp u run it will suggest ver 94.24
>
> D:

tony h
July 22nd 07, 07:19 PM
i'm just looking for way to improve framerates without spending money, or
turning off more detail. cpu already overclocked + graphics card unlocked,
but being passively cooled, i daren't overclock it.

"Dorph" > wrote in message
. dk...
>> i'm sorry if it causes you offence, but sometimes latest isn't greatest.
>> another point is that there are at least 2 different 3rd party driver
>> sets
>
> Well it does not, and my answer was not intended to sound as if i
> was offended, i was just wondering. I have at mom 3 pc's and
> 1 nv ti4200 - 1 nv 6800u - and 1nv 8800gtx i have always used
> latest driver for each as card nvidia hp have suggestet. It always
> have worked fine.
>
> D:

Dorph[_2_]
July 22nd 07, 07:49 PM
> i'm sorry if it causes you offence, but sometimes latest isn't greatest.
> another point is that there are at least 2 different 3rd party driver sets

Well it does not, and my answer was not intended to sound as if i
was offended, i was just wondering. I have at mom 3 pc's and
1 nv ti4200 - 1 nv 6800u - and 1nv 8800gtx i have always used
latest driver for each as card nvidia hp have suggestet. It always
have worked fine.

D:

Mr.E Solved!
July 22nd 07, 07:55 PM
tony h wrote:
> i'm just looking for way to improve framerates without spending money, or
> turning off more detail. cpu already overclocked + graphics card unlocked,
> but being passively cooled, i daren't overclock it.

Hey, when you figure out how to get more FPS out of a system that is
already overclocked, and with zero expense, let us know.

Generally driver revisions trade speed for compatibility, until a new
suite arrives, then the cycle starts over again: fast, but erroneous.

Folk
July 23rd 07, 04:36 AM
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:27:25 +0100, "tony h" > wrote:

>got myself a 2nd hand 6800, passive cooled (low budget, and noise!) i'm
>guessing the later drivers dont address any issues for this card, so what
>would be the best, stable version suitable? i'm sure this may be a can of
>worms, and things are subjective, but opinions welcomed.
>thanks

I've found that virtually every official release for the 6800 series
*has* been stable. I'm using 93.71 here with no problems. I've
looked at the latest (94.24) but didn't bother with them, mainly since
there were no release notes.