PDA

View Full Version : 65nm 'Falcon' X360 50% cheaper to manufacture - future 45nm X360 may enable a smaller, redesigned Xbox360 ala PSOne & PSTwo


AirRaid[_3_]
July 19th 07, 07:52 PM
65nm 'Falcon' X360 50% cheaper to manufacture - future 45nm X360
could result in a smaller redesigned Xbox360 ala PSOne & PSTwo

http://tinyurl.com/2qwggu


I'm sure everyone is well aware of the issues regarding the 360's
internal design shortcomings and the problems that it can cause.
Microsoft's reputation as a console manufacturer has been severely
tarnished over recent months after rumours of a 33% hardware failure
rate (aye right!) and the following knee jerk reaction to extend the
360's warranty up to 3 years.

Today, word escaped from Asian component manufacturers that Microsoft
have accelerated the planning for the redesigned Xbox 360 mainboard.
Project 'Falcon' as it's known internally aims to reduce the size of
the main console components such as CPU & GPU from the standard 90-
nanometer process down to 65-nanometer. Smaller components mean less
power is required to drive the console which has the benefit of
producing less heat. There is no information available at the moment
to suggest the GPU will be moved from it's current troubled location
directly under the DVD-ROM drive.

Another outcome from the redesign, and possibly a more important
factor is a reduction in costs. Moving from 90 to 65 nanometer
fabrication could in fact reduce component costs by a staggering 50%.
A price cut from Microsoft later in 2007 is widely expected and should
place the 360 in a good position as we move forward in to the festive
season. I would expect to see a cut of around 20% of RRP sometime
between September and November when the 'Falcon' 360's are set to
arrive on store shelves.

Looking a little further ahead, Microsoft are expected to move to a 45-
nanometer process which will reduce component size still further. Once
this happens, we could expect to see a properly redesigned unit along
the same lines as the PSOne and PSTwo released by Sony. Hell, they may
even stick the power-brick in side.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

posted to ATI, AMD, IBM news groups because these companies designed
the Xbox 360's
CPU & GPU, and are working with Microsoft on producing smaller &
smaller chips, which are manufactured by IBM, TSMC and possibly in the
future, AMD fabs.

the success of Xbox 360 is important to both IBM and AMD.

mr deo
July 20th 07, 10:31 AM
"AirRaid" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> 65nm 'Falcon' X360 50% cheaper to manufacture - future 45nm X360
> could result in a smaller redesigned Xbox360 ala PSOne & PSTwo
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2qwggu
>
>
> I'm sure everyone is well aware of the issues regarding the 360's
> internal design shortcomings and the problems that it can cause.
> Microsoft's reputation as a console manufacturer has been severely
> tarnished over recent months after rumours of a 33% hardware failure
> rate (aye right!) and the following knee jerk reaction to extend the
> 360's warranty up to 3 years.
>

> posted to ATI, AMD, IBM news groups because these companies designed
> the Xbox 360's
> CPU & GPU, and are working with Microsoft on producing smaller &
> smaller chips, which are manufactured by IBM, TSMC and possibly in the
> future, AMD fabs.
>
> the success of Xbox 360 is important to both IBM and AMD.


It might be Important to IBM and AMD..
It's doubtful anyone in any of the newsgroups you posted to works for AMD or
IBM.. but if they do they would know about the 360 in ways we (or you)
dont..
X360's faults are currently poor design and microsoft has said that every
unit has the same fault and every unit will die of that fault (some may last
a long time however)....

I dont see why it's important to IBM or AMD other than the fact they they
are going to make money out of it. At the end of the day it's a Microsoft
(by design spec) Product and if it fails no one will blame IBM or AMD....
and if it does great I doubt IBM or AMD will be gettings lots of free
chocs..

krw
July 20th 07, 01:50 PM
In article >,
says...
>
<snip>
>
>
> It might be Important to IBM and AMD..
> It's doubtful anyone in any of the newsgroups you posted to works for AMD or
> IBM.. but if they do they would know about the 360 in ways we (or you)
> dont..

Don't doubt it.

> X360's faults are currently poor design and microsoft has said that every
> unit has the same fault and every unit will die of that fault (some may last
> a long time however)....

Hmm, there are *no* other failure mechanisms? There is some
speculation that the real problem is related to ROHS. Anyone see
anything on this? IMO, we're all going to see it in the PC biz.

> I dont see why it's important to IBM or AMD other than the fact they they
> are going to make money out of it. At the end of the day it's a Microsoft
> (by design spec) Product and if it fails no one will blame IBM or AMD....
> and if it does great I doubt IBM or AMD will be gettings lots of free
> chocs..
>
As long as customers aren't so PO'd that they stop buying them.

--
Keith

mr deo
July 21st 07, 07:39 PM
> Hmm, there are *no* other failure mechanisms? There is some
> speculation that the real problem is related to ROHS. Anyone see
> anything on this? IMO, we're all going to see it in the PC biz.

well.. Little birds are saying that it's a fault with the soilder (of all
things) and to save money they had cut the budget with the type and quality
they were using.. I guess it could have been a ROHS type of restriction as
well, until M$ spill the beans on the fault fully we'll never know (unless
someone goes out to buy 20 and test them all)..

I know that M$ have said that the unit needs a good regulated mains supply,
and that there is a LOT of talk about some of these "dead" units working
after they cool down, but then stopping again after they get warm (that
would kinda fall in line with a bad joint).. shrug....

all I know is I dont have one of these, but in a couple of years I'll
download a x360 and ps3 and wii (poo serial numbers on those lol) emulator
and slap the games on my (then) 5tb SS Storage array
:P

krw
July 21st 07, 11:51 PM
In article >,
says...
> > Hmm, there are *no* other failure mechanisms? There is some
> > speculation that the real problem is related to ROHS. Anyone see
> > anything on this? IMO, we're all going to see it in the PC biz.
>
> well.. Little birds are saying that it's a fault with the soilder (of all
> things) and to save money they had cut the budget with the type and quality
> they were using.. I guess it could have been a ROHS type of restriction as
> well, until M$ spill the beans on the fault fully we'll never know (unless
> someone goes out to buy 20 and test them all)..

Bad solder would strongly implicate ROHS.

> I know that M$ have said that the unit needs a good regulated mains supply,
> and that there is a LOT of talk about some of these "dead" units working
> after they cool down, but then stopping again after they get warm (that
> would kinda fall in line with a bad joint).. shrug....

Mains supply (in the US) is supposed to be within 5% of 120V.

> all I know is I dont have one of these, but in a couple of years I'll
> download a x360 and ps3 and wii (poo serial numbers on those lol) emulator
> and slap the games on my (then) 5tb SS Storage array
> :P

You have a *lot* of faith in Moore, eh?

--
Keith

John Lewis
August 1st 07, 07:39 PM
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 18:51:07 -0400, krw > wrote:


>
>You have a *lot* of faith in Moore, eh?
>

Moore has been shown the door by Ballmer.

Hopefully Ballmer did not throw a chair as Peter left.

John Lewis

>--
> Keith