PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable temps for an 8800GTS w/stock cooling?

Jason A.
July 19th 07, 04:29 AM
Here's the scoop.

It's currently in the mid 80s today (Fahrenheit)
NVMonitor is reporting my 8800GTS to be at 73C, right now. I've just
finished playing a game, nothing too taxing. A couple hours ago, when I
turned my system on, it was reading 68C.

What would be a "normal" temp for an 8800GTS, with the stock cooler?
Looks like the nVidia reference design on the cooler, also.

Card is a PNY 8800GTS 640MB model.

No overclocking.
Case is a Stacker 810, with 2 120mm intakes, 1 120mm exhaust, and 2 80mm
exhaust (although I doubt they're doing much good, they're at the bottom
of the tower)

Thanks
Jason

Phil Weldon
July 19th 07, 05:34 AM
'Jason A.' wrote, in part:
| It's currently in the mid 80s today (Fahrenheit)
| NVMonitor is reporting my 8800GTS to be at 73C, right now. I've just
| finished playing a game, nothing too taxing. A couple hours ago, when I
| turned my system on, it was reading 68C.
_____

Well, that would depend on the temperature of the air entering the stock
cooler. If the air entering the stock cooler is ~ 25 C then the loafing
temperature (web browsing, for example), the 8800 GTS at stock GPU/memory
speed AND with the video card fan set to manual/100%, then the GPU
temperature should be in the 50 C - 55 C range.

The 68 C you see could be caused by
the video card cooling fan is set to automatic control
OR
your system case has VERY poor air circulation
OR
the room ambient temperature is VERY high ( > 35 C or 100 F)
OR
the video card heatsink/fan is not properly installed
OR
the GPU temperature monitor application isn't working right
OR
some combination of the above.

I'd start by measuring the air temperature at the inlet of the video card
heatsink fan and checking the video card fan setting.

Phil Weldon

"Jason A." > wrote in message
news:[email protected] .com...
| Here's the scoop.
|
| It's currently in the mid 80s today (Fahrenheit)
| NVMonitor is reporting my 8800GTS to be at 73C, right now. I've just
| finished playing a game, nothing too taxing. A couple hours ago, when I
| turned my system on, it was reading 68C.
|
| What would be a "normal" temp for an 8800GTS, with the stock cooler?
| Looks like the nVidia reference design on the cooler, also.
|
| Card is a PNY 8800GTS 640MB model.
|
| No overclocking.
| Case is a Stacker 810, with 2 120mm intakes, 1 120mm exhaust, and 2 80mm
| exhaust (although I doubt they're doing much good, they're at the bottom
| of the tower)
|
| Thanks
| Jason

Kevin Weaver
July 19th 07, 08:06 AM
Could you tell me where this NVMonitor is ?
I'm trying to locate a program that will see the temp of the GPU But can't
find one. Or is it built in the software and I have to turn it on ? If so, I
can't find it. TIA...

"Jason A." > wrote in message
news:[email protected] .com...
> Here's the scoop.
>
> It's currently in the mid 80s today (Fahrenheit)
> NVMonitor is reporting my 8800GTS to be at 73C, right now. I've just
> finished playing a game, nothing too taxing. A couple hours ago, when I
> turned my system on, it was reading 68C.
>
> What would be a "normal" temp for an 8800GTS, with the stock cooler? Looks
> like the nVidia reference design on the cooler, also.
>
> Card is a PNY 8800GTS 640MB model.
>
> No overclocking.
> Case is a Stacker 810, with 2 120mm intakes, 1 120mm exhaust, and 2 80mm
> exhaust (although I doubt they're doing much good, they're at the bottom
> of the tower)
>
> Thanks
> Jason

DRS
July 19th 07, 08:37 AM
"Kevin Weaver" > wrote in message
. net
> Could you tell me where this NVMonitor is ?
> I'm trying to locate a program that will see the temp of the GPU But
> can't find one. Or is it built in the software and I have to turn it
> on ? If so, I can't find it. TIA...

It's part of NTune. And please don't top post.

oldwolf[_2_]
July 19th 07, 10:49 AM
why??

"DRS" > wrote in message
> "Kevin Weaver" > wrote in message
> . net
> > Could you tell me where this NVMonitor is ?
> > I'm trying to locate a program that will see the temp of the GPU But
> > can't find one. Or is it built in the software and I have to turn it
> > on ? If so, I can't find it. TIA...
>
> It's part of NTune. And please don't top post.

Geoff
July 19th 07, 10:49 AM
"oldwolf" > wrote in message
u...
> why??

<snip>

>> It's part of NTune. And please don't top post.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

P Gagg
July 19th 07, 04:23 PM
My 8800GTS never goes above 60 degrees C, even when overclocked.
When at idle its about 48 to 50C
When not overclocked but working (playing games, etc) it is around 58C
Overclocked at: Core clock = 600 and Memory Clock = 900 gave a max temp
of 60C and a 3DMark06 score of 10200.

There is something wrong with your 8800GTS if its running much higher
temp's.

Is the fan working?
Is the fan on auto control?
What is the room temp? fan inlet temp?
Is the case adequately cooled?
Are your CPU and case temps ok?
Is the fan working correctly? heatsink fitted ok?

8-)

*Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/

Phil Weldon
July 19th 07, 08:13 PM
'Geoff' wrote, in part:
| A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
_____

NOT for people who actually FOLLOW threads and have already read the

Phil Weldon

"Geoff" > wrote in message

| "oldwolf" > wrote in message
| u...
| > why??
| >

| <snip>
|

| >> It's part of NTune. And please don't top post.
| >>

| A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
| Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
| A: Top-posting.
| Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

DRS
July 19th 07, 10:01 PM
"Phil Weldon" > wrote in message
ink.net
> 'Geoff' wrote, in part:
>> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read
>> text. _____
>
> NOT for people who actually FOLLOW threads and have already read the

With NNTP you can never safely assume any given post has propagated to any
given server.

Roger (K8RI)
July 20th 07, 12:04 AM
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:01:01 +1000, "DRS" >
wrote:

>"Phil Weldon" > wrote in message
ink.net
>> 'Geoff' wrote, in part:
>>> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read
>>> text. _____
>>
>> NOT for people who actually FOLLOW threads and have already read the
>
>With NNTP you can never safely assume any given post has propagated to any
>given server.

In any given order.

Jason A.
July 20th 07, 12:05 AM
P Gagg wrote:
> My 8800GTS never goes above 60 degrees C, even when overclocked.
> When at idle its about 48 to 50C
> When not overclocked but working (playing games, etc) it is around 58C
> Overclocked at: Core clock = 600 and Memory Clock = 900 gave a max temp
> of 60C and a 3DMark06 score of 10200.
>
> There is something wrong with your 8800GTS if its running much higher
> temp's.
>
> Is the fan working?
Yes, I checked this

> Is the fan on auto control?
Maybe, is there an easy way to tell? I've not loaded any software to
allow me to control the GPU fan speed, if that helps.

> What is the room temp? fan inlet temp?
Not sure on room temp, other than it was quite hot yesterday, and I
didn't have the AC on in the house. Unsure.

> Is the case adequately cooled?
I'd hope so, with the number if intake and exhaust fans I've got...

> Are your CPU and case temps ok?
CPU seems to be, at the time I reported the temps above, it was around
48-50C, this was after playing a game. Case temp right now (a lot
cooler out than yesterday) is showing about 42C

> Is the fan working correctly? heatsink fitted ok?
Again, it is the stock cooler, no changes made since the card came out
of the box. Cooler seemed to be secure then.

> 8-)
>
> *Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/

Phil Weldon
July 20th 07, 01:09 AM
'Jason A.' wrote in reply to 'P Gagg', in part:
| > Is the fan working?
| Yes, I checked this
|
| > Is the fan on auto control?
| Maybe, is there an easy way to tell? I've not loaded any software to
| allow me to control the GPU fan speed, if that helps.
|
| > What is the room temp? fan inlet temp?
| Not sure on room temp, other than it was quite hot yesterday, and I
| didn't have the AC on in the house. Unsure.
|
| > Is the case adequately cooled?
| I'd hope so, with the number if intake and exhaust fans I've got...
|
| > Are your CPU and case temps ok?
| CPU seems to be, at the time I reported the temps above, it was around
| 48-50C, this was after playing a game. Case temp right now (a lot
| cooler out than yesterday) is showing about 42C
_____

'Case' temperature is likely a report of the temperature at some specific
point ON-THE-MOTHERBOARD. The important temperature for your question is
the temperature of the air entering the video card heatsink fan. You will
need something like a digital indoor/outdoor thermometer for that (wired,
not wireless.)

The nVidia applet that reports GPU temperature (and other information) is NV
Monitor [nvmonitor.exe] .

'Just after' temperatures are not very meaningful - CPU and GPU temperatures
fall VERY quickly ( << 1 second ) when power consumption falls. Motherboard
temperature, not being so directly related to the CPU and GPU power
consumption (and the measured spot being much less well cooled), changes
much more slowly (if at all, depending on the particular motherboard model
and overall system cooling / air circulation patterns.

At any rate, a 8800 GTS 78 C GPU temperature DURING intense 3D acceleration
is not necessarily abnormal, nor unexpected.

Phil Weldon

"Jason A." > wrote in message
news:[email protected] .com...

| P Gagg wrote:
| > My 8800GTS never goes above 60 degrees C, even when overclocked.
| > When at idle its about 48 to 50C
| > When not overclocked but working (playing games, etc) it is around 58C
| > Overclocked at: Core clock = 600 and Memory Clock = 900 gave a max temp
| > of 60C and a 3DMark06 score of 10200.
| >
| > There is something wrong with your 8800GTS if its running much higher
| > temp's.
| >
| > Is the fan working?
| Yes, I checked this
|
| > Is the fan on auto control?
| Maybe, is there an easy way to tell? I've not loaded any software to
| allow me to control the GPU fan speed, if that helps.
|
| > What is the room temp? fan inlet temp?
| Not sure on room temp, other than it was quite hot yesterday, and I
| didn't have the AC on in the house. Unsure.
|
| > Is the case adequately cooled?
| I'd hope so, with the number if intake and exhaust fans I've got...
|
| > Are your CPU and case temps ok?
| CPU seems to be, at the time I reported the temps above, it was around
| 48-50C, this was after playing a game. Case temp right now (a lot
| cooler out than yesterday) is showing about 42C
|
| > Is the fan working correctly? heatsink fitted ok?
| Again, it is the stock cooler, no changes made since the card came out
| of the box. Cooler seemed to be secure then.
|

| > 8-)
| >
| > *Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/

Kevin Weaver
July 20th 07, 05:08 AM
"Jason A." > wrote in message
news:[email protected] .com...
> Here's the scoop.
>
> It's currently in the mid 80s today (Fahrenheit)
> NVMonitor is reporting my 8800GTS to be at 73C, right now. I've just
> finished playing a game, nothing too taxing. A couple hours ago, when I
> turned my system on, it was reading 68C.
>
> What would be a "normal" temp for an 8800GTS, with the stock cooler? Looks
> like the nVidia reference design on the cooler, also.
>
> Card is a PNY 8800GTS 640MB model.
>
> No overclocking.
> Case is a Stacker 810, with 2 120mm intakes, 1 120mm exhaust, and 2 80mm
> exhaust (although I doubt they're doing much good, they're at the bottom
> of the tower)
>
> Thanks
> Jason

I contacted EVGA today and this is what they told me:

Answered By Xander A (7/19/2007 11:41:24 AM): Hello Kevin, 181 F is about
82C which is no cause for alarm the 8 series card are known to run on the
warmer side but your well within the temperature range for your card.

So there you have it. I thought mine also was running a little hot also. But
the tech support says otherwise. Gotta love that lifetime warr. :)

Phil Weldon
July 20th 07, 06:18 AM
'Kevin Weaver' wrote:
| I contacted EVGA today and this is what they told me:
|

| Answered By Xander A (7/19/2007 11:41:24 AM): Hello Kevin, 181 F is about
| 82C which is no cause for alarm the 8 series card are known to run on the
| warmer side but your well within the temperature range for your card.
|
| So there you have it. I thought mine also was running a little hot also.
But
| the tech support says otherwise. Gotta love that lifetime warr. :)
_____

BUT 68 C at idle is NOT normal. And 82 C is NOT conducive to overclocking.
While EVGA is to be commended for their easily reachable customer support,
fast is not the only thing thing need for a good response.

Phil Weldon

"Kevin Weaver" > wrote in message
et...

| "Jason A." > wrote in message
| news:[email protected] .com...
| > Here's the scoop.
| >
| > It's currently in the mid 80s today (Fahrenheit)
| > NVMonitor is reporting my 8800GTS to be at 73C, right now. I've just
| > finished playing a game, nothing too taxing. A couple hours ago, when I
| > turned my system on, it was reading 68C.
| >
| > What would be a "normal" temp for an 8800GTS, with the stock cooler?
Looks
| > like the nVidia reference design on the cooler, also.
| >
| > Card is a PNY 8800GTS 640MB model.
| >
| > No overclocking.
| > Case is a Stacker 810, with 2 120mm intakes, 1 120mm exhaust, and 2 80mm
| > exhaust (although I doubt they're doing much good, they're at the bottom
| > of the tower)
| >
| > Thanks
| > Jason
|
| I contacted EVGA today and this is what they told me:
|

| Answered By Xander A (7/19/2007 11:41:24 AM): Hello Kevin, 181 F is about
| 82C which is no cause for alarm the 8 series card are known to run on the
| warmer side but your well within the temperature range for your card.
|
| So there you have it. I thought mine also was running a little hot also.
But
| the tech support says otherwise. Gotta love that lifetime warr. :)

Mr.E Solved!
July 20th 07, 06:32 AM
Kevin Weaver wrote:

> "Jason A." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected] .com...
>> Here's the scoop.
>>
>> It's currently in the mid 80s today (Fahrenheit)
>> NVMonitor is reporting my 8800GTS to be at 73C, right now. I've just
>> finished playing a game, nothing too taxing. A couple hours ago, when
>> I turned my system on, it was reading 68C.
>>
>> What would be a "normal" temp for an 8800GTS, with the stock cooler?
>> Looks like the nVidia reference design on the cooler, also.
>>
>> Card is a PNY 8800GTS 640MB model.
>>
>> No overclocking.
>> Case is a Stacker 810, with 2 120mm intakes, 1 120mm exhaust, and 2
>> 80mm exhaust (although I doubt they're doing much good, they're at the
>> bottom of the tower)
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jason
>
> I contacted EVGA today and this is what they told me:
>

> Answered By Xander A (7/19/2007 11:41:24 AM): Hello Kevin, 181 F is
> about 82C which is no cause for alarm the 8 series card are known to run
> on the warmer side but your well within the temperature range for your
> card.
>
> So there you have it. I thought mine also was running a little hot also.
> But the tech support says otherwise. Gotta love that lifetime warr. :)

GPU Chips are generally rated at more than 100c continuous. So any
operating temperature below 100c is safe for the GPU and its packaging.
I run a GeForce 7950GT at 95c (passively cooled!) at 600Mhz core, stock
memory of 1.4G. So believe me when I tell you, high GPU temps for the
most part do not directly harm GPU output.

High temperatures are still bad in that capacitors dry out faster in
higher temperature cases (don't laugh, this was a major issue not too
long ago with boiling caps) and higher temps imply increased resistance,
so overclocking is limited due to getting out of spec faster than if
temps were lower.

As long as the GPU diode is reporting the high temp, but the system and
or PSU fan sensor is reporting 115F (45c) or there abouts the only thing
that might hurt in the long run with overly high temps is longevity.

Lastly, high operational temps and low ambient temps can break traces
due to expansion contraction is you frequently on/off. HTH

Kevin Weaver
July 20th 07, 06:55 AM
"Phil Weldon" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> 'Kevin Weaver' wrote:
> | I contacted EVGA today and this is what they told me:
> |

> | Answered By Xander A (7/19/2007 11:41:24 AM): Hello Kevin, 181 F is
> about
> | 82C which is no cause for alarm the 8 series card are known to run on
> the
> | warmer side but your well within the temperature range for your card.
> |
> | So there you have it. I thought mine also was running a little hot also.
> But
> | the tech support says otherwise. Gotta love that lifetime warr. :)
> _____
>
> BUT 68 C at idle is NOT normal. And 82 C is NOT conducive to
> overclocking.
> While EVGA is to be commended for their easily reachable customer support,
> fast is not the only thing thing need for a good response.
>
> Phil Weldon
>
> "Kevin Weaver" > wrote in message
> et...
> |
> | "Jason A." > wrote in message
> | news:[email protected] .com...
> | > Here's the scoop.
> | >
> | > It's currently in the mid 80s today (Fahrenheit)
> | > NVMonitor is reporting my 8800GTS to be at 73C, right now. I've just
> | > finished playing a game, nothing too taxing. A couple hours ago, when
> | > turned my system on, it was reading 68C.
> | >
> | > What would be a "normal" temp for an 8800GTS, with the stock cooler?
> Looks
> | > like the nVidia reference design on the cooler, also.
> | >
> | > Card is a PNY 8800GTS 640MB model.
> | >
> | > No overclocking.
> | > Case is a Stacker 810, with 2 120mm intakes, 1 120mm exhaust, and 2
> 80mm
> | > exhaust (although I doubt they're doing much good, they're at the
> bottom
> | > of the tower)
> | >
> | > Thanks
> | > Jason
> |
> | I contacted EVGA today and this is what they told me:
> |

> | Answered By Xander A (7/19/2007 11:41:24 AM): Hello Kevin, 181 F is
> about
> | 82C which is no cause for alarm the 8 series card are known to run on
> the
> | warmer side but your well within the temperature range for your card.
> |
> | So there you have it. I thought mine also was running a little hot also.
> But
> | the tech support says otherwise. Gotta love that lifetime warr. :)

Like I said per the lifetime warranty. They say It's normal. If it take's a
dump I'll get up replaced for free. I think If It were to high they would
have advised me to return it for replacement. I called a friend that run's
the same card as me, his runs about the same.

GMAN[_3_]
July 20th 07, 07:35 PM
In article >, "Jason A." > wrote:
>Here's the scoop.
>
>It's currently in the mid 80s today (Fahrenheit)
>NVMonitor is reporting my 8800GTS to be at 73C, right now. I've just
>finished playing a game, nothing too taxing. A couple hours ago, when I
>turned my system on, it was reading 68C.

try coming to Salt Lake City, Utah where it is 103F , my brother lives in ST
George, Utah down south a bit and it is 115F

>What would be a "normal" temp for an 8800GTS, with the stock cooler?
>Looks like the nVidia reference design on the cooler, also.
>
>Card is a PNY 8800GTS 640MB model.
>
>No overclocking.
>Case is a Stacker 810, with 2 120mm intakes, 1 120mm exhaust, and 2 80mm
>exhaust (although I doubt they're doing much good, they're at the bottom
>of the tower)

Actually they are helping to pull heat away from your cards.

>Thanks
>Jason

Don Burnette
July 21st 07, 10:54 AM
"Jason A." > wrote in message
news:[email protected] .com...
> Here's the scoop.
>
> It's currently in the mid 80s today (Fahrenheit)
> NVMonitor is reporting my 8800GTS to be at 73C, right now. I've just
> finished playing a game, nothing too taxing. A couple hours ago, when I
> turned my system on, it was reading 68C.
>
> What would be a "normal" temp for an 8800GTS, with the stock cooler? Looks
> like the nVidia reference design on the cooler, also.
>
> Card is a PNY 8800GTS 640MB model.
>
> No overclocking.
> Case is a Stacker 810, with 2 120mm intakes, 1 120mm exhaust, and 2 80mm
> exhaust (although I doubt they're doing much good, they're at the bottom
> of the tower)
>
> Thanks
> Jason

Looks about the same as my BFG 8800 GTS ( that came overclocked stock ).

I just checked mine, system has been on all night, it is currently 66c.
Haven't checked it under load in a while, but I would think it would be
similar to yours.
And I have very good case ventilation.

--
Don

Don Burnette
July 21st 07, 12:32 PM
"Don Burnette" > wrote in message

> "Jason A." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected] .com...
>> Here's the scoop.
>>
>> It's currently in the mid 80s today (Fahrenheit)
>> NVMonitor is reporting my 8800GTS to be at 73C, right now. I've just
>> finished playing a game, nothing too taxing. A couple hours ago, when I
>> turned my system on, it was reading 68C.
>>
>> What would be a "normal" temp for an 8800GTS, with the stock cooler?
>> Looks like the nVidia reference design on the cooler, also.
>>
>> Card is a PNY 8800GTS 640MB model.
>>
>> No overclocking.
>> Case is a Stacker 810, with 2 120mm intakes, 1 120mm exhaust, and 2 80mm
>> exhaust (although I doubt they're doing much good, they're at the bottom
>> of the tower)
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jason
>
> Looks about the same as my BFG 8800 GTS ( that came overclocked stock ).
>
> I just checked mine, system has been on all night, it is currently 66c.
> Haven't checked it under load in a while, but I would think it would be
> similar to yours.
> And I have very good case ventilation.
>
> --

Just checked by GPU temp, after running FSX for about an hour, it was at
67c.

--
Don