PDA

View Full Version : New quads and the sockets in which they will work?

***** charles
July 17th 07, 11:32 PM
Hi all,

I would like to get a single socket motherboard now
that will take the quads that come out shortly. Is
this even possible? What I am hoping for is a 1000
like opteron quad that will run at or near 3.0 GHz
and throttle down to low power sleep mode when
not doing anything. Is there anything like this in the
works? The target function is media support and
real cheap on electricity when left on 24/7.

thanks,
charles....

Wes Newell
July 18th 07, 05:52 AM
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:32:41 +0000, ***** charles wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to get a single socket motherboard now
> that will take the quads that come out shortly. Is
> this even possible? What I am hoping for is a 1000
> like opteron quad that will run at or near 3.0 GHz
> and throttle down to low power sleep mode when
> not doing anything. Is there anything like this in the
> works? The target function is media support and
> real cheap on electricity when left on 24/7.

What do you mean by media support? And why would you need a 4 core cpu?
If you're talking about dvr use, you'd just be wasting your money and cpu
power buying any cpu that cost more than $59.

mr deo
July 20th 07, 10:37 AM
"***** charles" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to get a single socket motherboard now
> that will take the quads that come out shortly. Is
> this even possible? What I am hoping for is a 1000
> like opteron quad that will run at or near 3.0 GHz
> and throttle down to low power sleep mode when
> not doing anything. Is there anything like this in the
> works? The target function is media support and
> real cheap on electricity when left on 24/7.
>
> thanks,
> charles....

Quad core & low lekky usage..
Sounds a bit backwards to me..
I built a core2duo system with the lowest c2duo chip I could get and it does
PVR, Streaming Media, and file ripping just fine.. If your looking for a
media box then I think you should concentrate on the video card and sound
card.. (until we get VR type movies I doubt multi-core processors will be
needed for media)

***** charles
July 20th 07, 06:06 PM
> What do you mean by media support?

Rendering.

later....

***** charles
July 20th 07, 06:16 PM
"mr deo" > wrote
in message ...

> "***** charles" > wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would like to get a single socket motherboard now
> > that will take the quads that come out shortly. Is
> > this even possible? What I am hoping for is a 1000
> > like opteron quad that will run at or near 3.0 GHz
> > and throttle down to low power sleep mode when
> > not doing anything. Is there anything like this in the
> > works? The target function is media support and
> > real cheap on electricity when left on 24/7.
> >
> > thanks,
> > charles....
>
> Quad core & low lekky usage..
> Sounds a bit backwards to me..
> I built a core2duo system with the lowest c2duo chip I could get and it
does
> PVR, Streaming Media, and file ripping just fine.. If your looking for a
> media box then I think you should concentrate on the video card and sound
> card.. (until we get VR type movies I doubt multi-core processors will
be
> needed for media)

The Athlon64 X2 6000+ comes close but does not have
VT or hyperthreading or low power or 4 cores just 2.
But, it only costs $160.

later......
..

dave
July 21st 07, 01:54 AM
***** charles > wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to get a single socket motherboard now
> that will take the quads that come out shortly. Is
> this even possible? What I am hoping for is a 1000
> like opteron quad that will run at or near 3.0 GHz
> and throttle down to low power sleep mode when
> not doing anything. Is there anything like this in the
> works? The target function is media support and
> real cheap on electricity when left on 24/7.
>
> thanks,
> charles....

AM2 socket motherboards will take Barcelona quadcore chips.

--
Be Happy. Don't Worry about the difference between lose and loose.

***** charles
July 22nd 07, 12:25 AM
"dave" > wrote in message
. ..
> ***** charles > wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would like to get a single socket motherboard now
> > that will take the quads that come out shortly. Is
> > this even possible? What I am hoping for is a 1000
> > like opteron quad that will run at or near 3.0 GHz
> > and throttle down to low power sleep mode when
> > not doing anything. Is there anything like this in the
> > works? The target function is media support and
> > real cheap on electricity when left on 24/7.
> >
> > thanks,
> > charles....
>
> AM2 socket motherboards will take Barcelona quadcore chips.
>
> Be Happy. Don't Worry about the difference between lose and loose.

I suspect that at least the motherboard would need a bios update.

later......