PDA

View Full Version : AMD's R700 codename is Wekiva, is multi-chip, has a better memory controller. my thoughts

RadeonR600
July 16th 07, 09:33 PM
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1853&Itemid=1

R700 codename is Wekiva
Written by Fuad Abazovic

Has a new memory controller

ATI's upcoming high end card codenamed R7xx, the one that we call R700
is codenamed Wekiva. We don't know what that actually means, but
according to google this can be a town or a river in some national
park in Florida.

ATI was known by very funky codenames including R520 aka Fudo and R600
without a proper codename but properly delayed.

Wekiva from all we know has a multi chip approach and has a new better
memory controller. We can also add that it comes in Q2 2008, so we
still have some time to enjoy until it arrives.

R700 had better be an incredible GPU. even if it's a refresh of the
the R600, it better be damn good because Nvidia's G80, released
months before R600, is a better-performing GPU than R600 at least with
the current drivers & gamesm. The G80 is about to be refreshed with
G92, a GPU that is said to have 3x the fp performance of G80. even
more troubling, G92 is due out late 2007. Nvidia has been hitting
release dates very well the last few years. R700 isn't due out until
Q2 2008 unless AMD can make a breakthrough by releasing it Q4 2007, a
miracle I don't see happening.

I don't want to see Nvidia win the war, but right now they're winning
in just about everything except the console arena where neither Nvidia
nor AMD/ATI actually have control of, but they both have their GPUs in
all consoles. right now AMD/ATI have two horses in the console race,
Xbox 360 and Wii. Nvidia only has one horse. thankfully Nvidia's
horse in that race, the PS3, is in last place and struggling. while
Xbox 360 and Wii, are doing very well collectively worldwide. Xbox 360
is doing well in the U.S, the Wii is doing well worldwide.

I'm hoping Wii's and Xbox 360's combined success helps AMD get back
into the highend GPU fight on the PC side.

Mr. Johan Andersson
July 17th 07, 11:11 AM
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, RadeonR600 wrote:

> http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1853&Itemid=1
>
> R700 codename is Wekiva
> Written by Fuad Abazovic
>
> Has a new memory controller
>
> ATI's upcoming high end card codenamed R7xx, the one that we call R700
> is codenamed Wekiva. We don't know what that actually means, but
> according to google this can be a town or a river in some national
> park in Florida.
>
> ATI was known by very funky codenames including R520 aka Fudo and R600
> without a proper codename but properly delayed.
>
> Wekiva from all we know has a multi chip approach and has a new better
> memory controller. We can also add that it comes in Q2 2008, so we
> still have some time to enjoy until it arrives.
>
> __________________________________________________ _____________________________
>

> R700 had better be an incredible GPU. even if it's a refresh of the
> the R600, it better be damn good because Nvidia's G80, released
> months before R600, is a better-performing GPU than R600 at least with
> the current drivers & gamesm. The G80 is about to be refreshed with
> G92, a GPU that is said to have 3x the fp performance of G80. even
> more troubling, G92 is due out late 2007. Nvidia has been hitting
> release dates very well the last few years. R700 isn't due out until
> Q2 2008 unless AMD can make a breakthrough by releasing it Q4 2007, a
> miracle I don't see happening.
>
> I don't want to see Nvidia win the war, but right now they're winning
> in just about everything except the console arena where neither Nvidia
> nor AMD/ATI actually have control of, but they both have their GPUs in
> all consoles. right now AMD/ATI have two horses in the console race,
> Xbox 360 and Wii. Nvidia only has one horse. thankfully Nvidia's
> horse in that race, the PS3, is in last place and struggling. while
> Xbox 360 and Wii, are doing very well collectively worldwide. Xbox 360
> is doing well in the U.S, the Wii is doing well worldwide.
>
> I'm hoping Wii's and Xbox 360's combined success helps AMD get back
> into the highend GPU fight on the PC side.

I dont understand, there is no need for a war between them, you dont have
to annihilate all contenders to be a winner, in fact, whats a 1st place if
there are no runner ups.

it is GOOD that we have several companies competing, I am sure they will
get back into the top PC slots, to be pushed out again by Nvidia or others
that we havent seen yet.

But maybe I misunderstood the whole post?

This group might be an exception, but normal users (consumers) rarely have
the latest stuff anyway, its far to expensive for them, and me.

/Johan A

Mark
July 18th 07, 02:15 AM
Mr. Johan Andersson wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, RadeonR600 wrote:
>
>> http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1853&Itemid=1
>>
>> R700 codename is Wekiva
>> Written by Fuad Abazovic
>>
>> Has a new memory controller
>>
>> ATI's upcoming high end card codenamed R7xx, the one that we call R700
>> is codenamed Wekiva. We don't know what that actually means, but
>> according to google this can be a town or a river in some national
>> park in Florida.
>>
>> ATI was known by very funky codenames including R520 aka Fudo and R600
>> without a proper codename but properly delayed.
>>
>> Wekiva from all we know has a multi chip approach and has a new better
>> memory controller. We can also add that it comes in Q2 2008, so we
>> still have some time to enjoy until it arrives.
>>
>> __________________________________________________ _____________________________
>>

>> R700 had better be an incredible GPU. even if it's a refresh of the
>> the R600, it better be damn good because Nvidia's G80, released
>> months before R600, is a better-performing GPU than R600 at least with
>> the current drivers & gamesm. The G80 is about to be refreshed with
>> G92, a GPU that is said to have 3x the fp performance of G80. even
>> more troubling, G92 is due out late 2007. Nvidia has been hitting
>> release dates very well the last few years. R700 isn't due out until
>> Q2 2008 unless AMD can make a breakthrough by releasing it Q4 2007, a
>> miracle I don't see happening.
>>
>> I don't want to see Nvidia win the war, but right now they're winning
>> in just about everything except the console arena where neither Nvidia
>> nor AMD/ATI actually have control of, but they both have their GPUs in
>> all consoles. right now AMD/ATI have two horses in the console race,
>> Xbox 360 and Wii. Nvidia only has one horse. thankfully Nvidia's
>> horse in that race, the PS3, is in last place and struggling. while
>> Xbox 360 and Wii, are doing very well collectively worldwide. Xbox 360
>> is doing well in the U.S, the Wii is doing well worldwide.
>>
>> I'm hoping Wii's and Xbox 360's combined success helps AMD get back
>> into the highend GPU fight on the PC side.
>
> I dont understand, there is no need for a war between them, you dont have
> to annihilate all contenders to be a winner, in fact, whats a 1st place if
> there are no runner ups.
>
> it is GOOD that we have several companies competing, I am sure they will
> get back into the top PC slots, to be pushed out again by Nvidia or others
> that we havent seen yet.
>
> But maybe I misunderstood the whole post?

Yep, you misunderstood the whole post. Maybe try reading it again.

> This group might be an exception, but normal users (consumers) rarely have
> the latest stuff anyway, its far to expensive for them, and me.
>
> /Johan A

Brandon J. Van Every
July 19th 07, 05:47 PM
On Jul 16, 4:33 pm, RadeonR600 > wrote:

> I don't want to see Nvidia win the war,

What's your personal stake? You make money off ATI/AMD products
somehow? You used to work for them? NVIDIA burn you once upon a
time?

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every

Mr.E Solved!
July 19th 07, 08:11 PM
Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> On Jul 16, 4:33 pm, RadeonR600 > wrote:
>> I don't want to see Nvidia win the war,
>
> What's your personal stake? You make money off ATI/AMD products
> somehow? You used to work for them? NVIDIA burn you once upon a
> time?
>
> Cheers,
> Brandon Van Every

When the amateur armchair analyst gets it in his head to circulate these
posts I used to wonder why anyone would bother with such superficial and
pedestrian analysis which seems to exist solely to bore us to tears.

I guess it is the equivalent of the back chatter you get in fantasy
sports leagues circles by the fat slobs who can't get it up enough to
get out on the field: these are the dirt poor, but aspirationally rich
geekazoids.

Same thing goes for the occasional "in-depth" analysis of new consoles,
new GPU's, never anything more than regurgitated web site dreck from the
same frustrated wannabes. Piffle.

Ed Forsythe[_2_]
July 30th 07, 05:53 PM
It didn't bore me to tears because it offered information I was not aware of
and I appreciate it. I can't understand your need for worthless, time
consuming, unwarranted criticism, but I don't have as much time on my hands
as you. ;-) While you are thinking of something scathing to say, consider
the fact that I won't reply - I'm out -

. ..