PDA

View Full Version : Best heatsink/fan for amd 5600+


surface9
July 15th 07, 04:35 PM
My new 5600 runs just fine (35c-42c), but it is a bit loud (not too
much, just a little bit). What is the best aftermarket heatsink/fan
that will be quieter and at least as good at cooling?

Wes Newell
July 15th 07, 07:10 PM
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:35:42 -0700, surface9 wrote:

> My new 5600 runs just fine (35c-42c), but it is a bit loud (not too
> much, just a little bit). What is the best aftermarket heatsink/fan
> that will be quieter and at least as good at cooling?

Get a fan adapter and use a larger fan.

--
Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm

surface9
July 16th 07, 04:12 PM
On Jul 15, 1:10 pm, Wes Newell > wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:35:42 -0700, surface9 wrote:
> > My new 5600 runs just fine (35c-42c), but it is a bit loud (not too
> > much, just a little bit). What is the best aftermarket heatsink/fan
> > that will be quieter and at least as good at cooling?
>
> Get a fan adapter and use a larger fan.
>
> --
What is a "fan adapter"?
Where do you get one?
Where do you get a "larger fan" that will fit this adapter and have
the same power plug?
I assume you mean to use the stock heat exchanger and just change out
the fan, but, does the stock fan come off? It looks like it is
attached pretty solidly.

Peter van der Goes[_2_]
July 16th 07, 05:57 PM
"surface9" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jul 15, 1:10 pm, Wes Newell > wrote:
> What is a "fan adapter"?
> Where do you get one?
> Where do you get a "larger fan" that will fit this adapter and have
> the same power plug?
> I assume you mean to use the stock heat exchanger and just change out
> the fan, but, does the stock fan come off? It looks like it is
> attached pretty solidly.
>
A fan adapter allows you to mount a larger fan on the existing heat sink.
See here for an example:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2230

The stock fan is attached to the HS with screws. Simply remove them (and the
stock fan) and replace with the adapter, then mount the new, larger fan on
the adapter.

You will have to measure the stock fan to get the right size adapter. I
believe the stock unit comes with an 80mm fan, but you need to measure.

The plugs are standard and often pictures with the fan in question.

FWIW, the information provided was found in < 15 seconds using Google.

surface9
July 16th 07, 08:29 PM
Wes.

Thanks for the webcite. I found a very interesting fan there that
mounts as an 80mm but is actually a 92mm. It is also quiet and has
good airflow.

I also found some adapters and fans at www.svc.com and they have
solutions also.

I looked at my stock heatsink/fan (AMD 5600+ = AM2 socket), but, alas,
the fan is attached by what apperas to be rivets, not screws, because
the heads are smooth round and have no slits for either a standard or
phillips head screwdriver. There may be screw head underneath, but I
will have to take the whole thing off again to find out (boy, I hope
to avoid doing that).

Also, there is just not very much headroom above this CPU so, I can't
use any solution that has too much height. Since these are relatively
inexpensive items I have ordered a couple just to see how they fit
(they will not tell the complete dimension on their respective
webpages).

I'll figure something out - thanks, I am off and running.

Wes Newell
July 16th 07, 10:12 PM
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:29:21 -0700, surface9 wrote:

> Wes.
>
> Thanks for the webcite. I found a very interesting fan there that
> mounts as an 80mm but is actually a 92mm. It is also quiet and has
> good airflow.
>
Actually, that was someone else. I know for a fact that the original fan
on my A64 COU was 70mm, not 80mm. I think they still are, but I'm too lazy
to pull the side cover off any of my X2 machines.

> I also found some adapters and fans at www.svc.com and they have
> solutions also.

nexfan.com may have soem too. I generally use yahoo shopping when
searching for things.
>
> I looked at my stock heatsink/fan (AMD 5600+ = AM2 socket), but, alas,
> the fan is attached by what apperas to be rivets, not screws, because
> the heads are smooth round and have no slits for either a standard or
> phillips head screwdriver. There may be screw head underneath, but I
> will have to take the whole thing off again to find out (boy, I hope to
> avoid doing that).

OK, I'm going to look at one of mine. I can't believe they'd be so stupid
as to rivet a fan on..... OK, what they've done is mounted a bracket into
which the fan they use, which appears to be 70x15mm just like the older
models, snaps into. Unsnap the fan. Measure the bracket mounting holes and
buy afan adapter to fit those holes. My original cooler fan was 70x15mm
and I used a 70->80mm fan adapter and a 2500rpm 80x25mm fan. That was
quiet enough for me since I couldn't hear it over the other fans and
drives. They also make a 70->92mm adapter if you want something that will
be quieter, but I think most would find the 80x25mm fan quiet enough.
>
> Also, there is just not very much headroom above this CPU so, I can't
> use any solution that has too much height. Since these are relatively
> inexpensive items I have ordered a couple just to see how they fit (they
> will not tell the complete dimension on their respective webpages).
>
> I'll figure something out - thanks, I am off and running.

Good luck. This might interest you.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9181591268790522443&q=install+cpu&hl=en

--
Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm

surface9
July 17th 07, 12:42 AM
>
> Good luck. This might interest you.
>
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9181591268790522443&q=install...
>

Wow, Wes, what a find. That is an outstanding video - I wish AMD
would cite it in their box so I could have watched BEFORE I did the
install.

I understand whay you say about the fan being snapped onto a bracket -
I will snoop around and see about unsnapping my fan (when my adapter
comes in), but, I am going to be exttra careful since I will be doing
this while everything is in place (no need to have to redo the thermal
paste). I assume it will just take a thin wide flathead scewdriver
(or maybe a good pocket knife) to wedge the fan loose. If you recall
what TOOL you used and any precautionary tips, pleasre respond.

I only found a 70mm-89mm adapater.but if you know of a specific
website that has a 70-92 adaptor, I'd like to take a look.

Thanks for your postings.

littleberry

Peter van der Goes[_2_]
July 17th 07, 02:57 AM
"Wes Newell" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:29:21 -0700, surface9 wrote:
>
>> Wes.
>>
>> Thanks for the webcite. I found a very interesting fan there that
>> mounts as an 80mm but is actually a 92mm. It is also quiet and has
>> good airflow.
>>
> Actually, that was someone else. I know for a fact that the original fan
> on my A64 COU was 70mm, not 80mm. I think they still are, but I'm too lazy
> to pull the side cover off any of my X2 machines.
>
I may well be incorrect in my guess that the OP's HSF came with an 80mm fan,
as I agree that the HSF's that came with my X2 3800, X2 4200 and X2 4600 all
have 70mm fans. But, I was given to understand that the high end CPU's, such
as the OP's 5600+ come with a different HSF that is a copper based heat pipe
design with aluminum fins and uses an 80mm fan. I actually ordered one of
these from a bargain place a while back and have it here. It sports an
80x25mm fan with the AMD sticker (3D - hologram) on it.
Again, I may well be all wet here, as the OP has not described his stock
HSF.

HonkyDoo
July 17th 07, 03:57 AM
"surface9" > wrote in message
ups.com
>> Good luck. This might interest you.
>>
>> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9181591268790522443&q=install...
>>
>
> Wow, Wes, what a find. That is an outstanding video - I wish AMD
> would cite it in their box so I could have watched BEFORE I did the
> install.
>
.....

that video is not only terribly blurry but also missed telling to degrease
the CPU surface after they pressed their thumb on it! amateurish work at its
best!

Wes Newell
July 17th 07, 07:36 AM
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:42:04 -0700, surface9 wrote:

>>
>> Good luck. This might interest you.
>>
>> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9181591268790522443&q=install...
>>
>
> Wow, Wes, what a find. That is an outstanding video - I wish AMD
> would cite it in their box so I could have watched BEFORE I did the
> install.
>
That's what search engines like yahoo and google or for.

> I understand whay you say about the fan being snapped onto a bracket -
> I will snoop around and see about unsnapping my fan (when my adapter
> comes in), but, I am going to be exttra careful since I will be doing
> this while everything is in place (no need to have to redo the thermal
> paste). I assume it will just take a thin wide flathead scewdriver
> (or maybe a good pocket knife) to wedge the fan loose. If you recall
> what TOOL you used and any precautionary tips, pleasre respond.
>
I didn't remove mine (this machine runs 24/7) but it looks like a simple
snap. Looked like any flathead screwdriver would work.

> I only found a 70mm-89mm adapater.but if you know of a specific website
> that has a 70-92 adaptor, I'd like to take a look.
>
When you want to find something use a search engine. Now repeat that ten
times.;-)

Results 1 - 15 out of 18 in Computers & Office for 70mm fan adapter

http://shopping.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AlMhMuQx8l0m5bZGP3zl_sEEgFoB;_ylu=X3oD MTBhNjRqazhxBHNlYwNzZWFyY2g-?p=70mm+fan+adapter&did=57

--
Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm

Wes Newell
July 17th 07, 08:10 AM
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 20:57:26 -0500, Peter van der Goes wrote:

>
> "Wes Newell" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:29:21 -0700, surface9 wrote:
>>
>>> Wes.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the webcite. I found a very interesting fan there that
>>> mounts as an 80mm but is actually a 92mm. It is also quiet and has
>>> good airflow.
>>>
>> Actually, that was someone else. I know for a fact that the original fan
>> on my A64 COU was 70mm, not 80mm. I think they still are, but I'm too lazy
>> to pull the side cover off any of my X2 machines.
>>
> I may well be incorrect in my guess that the OP's HSF came with an 80mm fan,
> as I agree that the HSF's that came with my X2 3800, X2 4200 and X2 4600 all
> have 70mm fans. But, I was given to understand that the high end CPU's, such
> as the OP's 5600+ come with a different HSF that is a copper based heat pipe
> design with aluminum fins and uses an 80mm fan. I actually ordered one of
> these from a bargain place a while back and have it here. It sports an
> 80x25mm fan with the AMD sticker (3D - hologram) on it.
> Again, I may well be all wet here, as the OP has not described his stock
> HSF.

And you may well be right. I don't know. I did find a picture that it has
heatpipes, but the fan looks the same although it's hard to tell the size
from the photo.

--
Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm

Peter van der Goes[_2_]
July 19th 07, 05:22 AM
"Wes Newell" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 20:57:26 -0500, Peter van der Goes wrote:
>
>>
>> "Wes Newell" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>
> And you may well be right. I don't know. I did find a picture that it has
> heatpipes, but the fan looks the same although it's hard to tell the size
> from the photo.
>
I'll correct myself on this one. It appears from many reviews of the 5600
(especially on NewEgg), that AMD is supplying the standard block HSF w/ 70
mm fan as you said originally. The HSF I have *may* have been supplied with
high end CPU's in the past, but not now.