\Work\ or \Microsoft News Server\
July 13th 07, 10:06 PM
Hey all, my system:

AMD Fx2 6000
8800GTS 620MB
SB Audigy 2
Nforce 2 MB
2 GB RAM

Suffice to say that I run new games such as Stalker very well but I seem to
be struggling with older games such as Serious sam. SS runs terribly and It
stutters and pauses every second! I can;t figure out why this is so I
thought I'd ask here. Also, Painkiller no longer gives the best performance
but gives little pauses here and there. I have tried updated drivers but
have had no luck...

This is very strange but I don't know what's going on!

rms[_2_]
July 14th 07, 12:36 AM
> I seem to be struggling with older games such as Serious sam. SS runs
> terribly and It stutters and pauses every second!

My best guess is dual-core is the issue. Remember to install the latest
cpu driver from www.amd.com and try setting the 'cpu affinity' to a single
core for these older games, using a utility such as Launch n Set
http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=64965&lngWId=1

rms

First of One[_2_]
July 14th 07, 01:52 AM
Aside from RMS' suggestion, ensure you have the latest drivers for the
Audigy.

"rms" > wrote in message
et...
>> I seem to be struggling with older games such as Serious sam. SS runs
>> terribly and It stutters and pauses every second!
>
> My best guess is dual-core is the issue. Remember to install the
> latest cpu driver from www.amd.com and try setting the 'cpu affinity' to a
> single core for these older games, using a utility such as Launch n Set
> http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=64965&lngWId=1
>
> rms

Roger (K8RI)
July 14th 07, 05:17 AM
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:06:06 GMT, "\"Work\" or \"Microsoft News
Server\"" <[email protected]****> wrote:

>Hey all, my system:

Couple of things.

>AMD Fx2 6000

The Athlon 64 X 2 6000 is not an FX

>8800GTS 620MB

You may want to experiment with the drivers for the 8800 GTS 640. On
my 6000 and also my FX62 they seem to work better with the older
6.14.10.9792 drivers from back in December than the latest ones.

>SB Audigy 2
>Nforce 2 MB
>2 GB RAM
>
>Suffice to say that I run new games such as Stalker very well but I seem to
>be struggling with older games such as Serious sam. SS runs terribly and It
>stutters and pauses every second! I can;t figure out why this is so I
>thought I'd ask here. Also, Painkiller no longer gives the best performance
>but gives little pauses here and there. I have tried updated drivers but
>have had no luck...
>
>This is very strange but I don't know what's going on!

As has already been mentioned, make sure you have the two dual core
helper apps from the AMD site.

You didn't say wheter you are using XP or Vista.
When DX-10 becomes available I *may* update one of the machines to
Vista but so far updating only for DX-10 capability when it becomes
available doesn't seem worth the effort or cost.

\Work\ or \Microsoft News Server\
July 14th 07, 09:15 AM
"rms" > wrote in message
et...
>> I seem to be struggling with older games such as Serious sam. SS runs
>> terribly and It stutters and pauses every second!
>
> My best guess is dual-core is the issue. Remember to install the
> latest cpu driver from www.amd.com

Thanks for this, it worked! Believe it or not I had no idea that you could
even update the drivers for the CPU, so I concentrated on everything else
but that...

> and try setting the 'cpu affinity' to a single core for these older games,
> using a utility such as Launch n Set
> http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=64965&lngWId=1
>
> rms

Corvus
July 14th 07, 11:09 PM
"Roger (K8RI)" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:06:06 GMT, "\"Work\" or \"Microsoft News
> Server\"" <[email protected]****> wrote:
>
>>Hey all, my system:
>
> Couple of things.
>

>>AMD Fx2 6000
>
> The Athlon 64 X 2 6000 is not an FX
>
>>8800GTS 620MB
>
> You may want to experiment with the drivers for the 8800 GTS 640. On
> my 6000 and also my FX62 they seem to work better with the older
> 6.14.10.9792 drivers from back in December than the latest ones.
>
>>SB Audigy 2
>>Nforce 2 MB
>>2 GB RAM
>>
>>Suffice to say that I run new games such as Stalker very well but I seem
>>be struggling with older games such as Serious sam. SS runs terribly and
>>It
>>stutters and pauses every second! I can;t figure out why this is so I
>>thought I'd ask here. Also, Painkiller no longer gives the best
>>performance
>>but gives little pauses here and there. I have tried updated drivers but
>>have had no luck...
>>
>>This is very strange but I don't know what's going on!
>
> As has already been mentioned, make sure you have the two dual core
> helper apps from the AMD site.
>
> You didn't say wheter you are using XP or Vista.
> When DX-10 becomes available I *may* update one of the machines to
> Vista but so far updating only for DX-10 capability when it becomes
> available doesn't seem worth the effort or cost.

Here are the symptoms described i got with an AGP 6800gt, Vista x64 and
Memory Hoisting activated.
Called "Memory Hole" in my BIOS.
All DirectX stuff, 2D also, would run at seemingly 1FPS, with the exception
of the Aero desktop and Oblivion.
This mess ceased when upgrading to a 8800gts, though(My mobo has AGP and
PCIe).
I would search for this BIOS option, which can have many names...

Patrick Vervoorn
July 16th 07, 03:01 PM
In article >,
rms > wrote:
>> I seem to be struggling with older games such as Serious sam. SS runs
>> terribly and It stutters and pauses every second!
>
> My best guess is dual-core is the issue. Remember to install the latest
>cpu driver from www.amd.com and try setting the 'cpu affinity' to a single
>core for these older games, using a utility such as Launch n Set
>http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=64965&lngWId=1

Is a 'driver' like this also available for Intel Dual-Core CPUs? Tried
Googling for it, but didn't find anything relevant, though I did get a few
links to AMD's site for their Dual Core CPUs...

(Reason: I'm noticing the same with an Intel Core2Duo system, WinXP,
GeForce 7800GT).

Regards,

Patrick.

DRS
July 16th 07, 03:42 PM
"Patrick Vervoorn" > wrote
in message

[...]

> Is a 'driver' like this also available for Intel Dual-Core CPUs? Tried
> Googling for it, but didn't find anything relevant, though I did get
> a few links to AMD's site for their Dual Core CPUs...

The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer replaced Microsoft Hotfix 896256 v3, which was
subsequently withdrawn by Microsoft from general release. However, since
the advent of the Core 2 Duos Microsoft released Hotfix 896256 v4. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256.

Roger (K8RI)
July 17th 07, 07:14 AM
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:01:11 +0200, Patrick Vervoorn
> wrote:

>In article >,
>rms > wrote:
>>> I seem to be struggling with older games such as Serious sam. SS runs
>>> terribly and It stutters and pauses every second!
>>
>> My best guess is dual-core is the issue. Remember to install the latest
>>cpu driver from www.amd.com and try setting the 'cpu affinity' to a single
>>core for these older games, using a utility such as Launch n Set
>>http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=64965&lngWId=1
>
>Is a 'driver' like this also available for Intel Dual-Core CPUs? Tried
>Googling for it, but didn't find anything relevant, though I did get a few
>links to AMD's site for their Dual Core CPUs...
>
>(Reason: I'm noticing the same with an Intel Core2Duo system, WinXP,
>GeForce 7800GT).

There is a patch/fix for dual core optimization in XP.

>Regards,
>
>Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn
July 17th 07, 01:41 PM
In article >,
DRS > wrote:
>"Patrick Vervoorn" > wrote
>in message
>
>[...]
>
>> Is a 'driver' like this also available for Intel Dual-Core CPUs? Tried
>> Googling for it, but didn't find anything relevant, though I did get
>> a few links to AMD's site for their Dual Core CPUs...
>
>The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer replaced Microsoft Hotfix 896256 v3, which was
>subsequently withdrawn by Microsoft from general release. However, since
>the advent of the Core 2 Duos Microsoft released Hotfix 896256 v4. See
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256.

Thanks for that. I see this article gives the option to download an
update, but it also goes on about modifying the registry...

Since the system in question is not mine, but is one I put together for my
brother (who lives quite a bit away from me, and also isn't that much of a
computer expert, and certainly not someone who I would like to muck around
in the registry ;): is that part of the fix (also) necessary?

If it's only installing the hotfix which does the trick, that'd be cool.

Regards,

Patrick.

DRS
July 17th 07, 04:24 PM
"Patrick Vervoorn" > wrote
in message l
> In article
> >, DRS
> > wrote:
>> "Patrick Vervoorn" >
>> wrote
>> in message
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Is a 'driver' like this also available for Intel Dual-Core CPUs?
>>> Tried Googling for it, but didn't find anything relevant, though I
>>> did get a few links to AMD's site for their Dual Core CPUs...
>>
>> The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer replaced Microsoft Hotfix 896256 v3,
>> which was subsequently withdrawn by Microsoft from general release.
>> However, since the advent of the Core 2 Duos Microsoft released
>> Hotfix 896256 v4. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256.
>
> Thanks for that. I see this article gives the option to download an
> update, but it also goes on about modifying the registry...
>
> Since the system in question is not mine, but is one I put together
> for my brother (who lives quite a bit away from me, and also isn't
> that much of a computer expert, and certainly not someone who I would
> like to muck around in the registry ;): is that part of the fix
> (also) necessary?

Yes, it is, since the Registry mod enables the Hotfix.

Patrick Vervoorn
July 17th 07, 05:41 PM
In article >,
DRS > wrote:
>"Patrick Vervoorn" > wrote
>in message l
>> In article
>> >, DRS
>> > wrote:
>>> "Patrick Vervoorn" >
>>> wrote
>>> in message
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer replaced Microsoft Hotfix 896256 v3,
>>> which was subsequently withdrawn by Microsoft from general release.
>>> However, since the advent of the Core 2 Duos Microsoft released
>>> Hotfix 896256 v4. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256.
>>
>> Thanks for that. I see this article gives the option to download an
>> update, but it also goes on about modifying the registry...
>>
>> Since the system in question is not mine, but is one I put together
>> for my brother (who lives quite a bit away from me, and also isn't
>> that much of a computer expert, and certainly not someone who I would
>> like to muck around in the registry ;): is that part of the fix
>> (also) necessary?
>
>Yes, it is, since the Registry mod enables the Hotfix.

Are you sure, because after looking at the link above at home (using
Internet Exploder, not Lynx, when things suddenly became a lot more
readable), I see, and I quote:

"How to disable the new performance state policy behavior
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These
problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at
your own risk.

After you install the hotfix that is described in this article, you may
use registry settings to disable the new performance state policy
behavior. To do this, follow these steps:"

It seems you have to do these registry-modification in order to go back to
the old behavior? The patch alone gets you the 'new' behaviour?

Or am I reading this totally wrong?

Regards, Patrick.

Mr.E Solved!
July 17th 07, 11:32 PM
Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> In article >,
> DRS > wrote:
>> "Patrick Vervoorn" > wrote
>> in message l
>>> In article

>>> Thanks for that. I see this article gives the option to download an
>>> update, but it also goes on about modifying the registry...
>>>
>>> Since the system in question is not mine, but is one I put together
>>> for my brother (who lives quite a bit away from me, and also isn't
>>> that much of a computer expert, and certainly not someone who I would
>>> like to muck around in the registry ;): is that part of the fix
>>> (also) necessary?
>> Yes, it is, since the Registry mod enables the Hotfix.
>
> Are you sure, because after looking at the link above at home (using
> Internet Exploder, not Lynx, when things suddenly became a lot more
> readable), I see, and I quote:
>
> "How to disable the new performance state policy behavior
> Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
> incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These
> problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft
> cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at
> your own risk.
>
> After you install the hotfix that is described in this article, you may
> use registry settings to disable the new performance state policy
> behavior. To do this, follow these steps:"
>
> It seems you have to do these registry-modification in order to go back to
> the old behavior? The patch alone gets you the 'new' behaviour?
>
> Or am I reading this totally wrong?
>
> Regards, Patrick.

I'm only partially paying attention to this thread, but as described,
and an educated guess is: Once you applied the "fix", you can revert
back to normal pre-fix behaviour by a simple registry change.

My experience with both AMD's and MSFT's dual-core fixes and optimizers
has been that they are NOT necessary except for specific games (Serious
Sam run in OpenGL and the original Unreal engines) and might cause
troubles when installed and not needed.

The AMD fix consists of a fundamentally different way the passing of
time is reported, and is not optimal unless the game in question is active.

You might experience similar results with a Core 2 Duo, something to
keep in mind.