PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 5200 Replacement

July 9th 07, 08:21 PM
Computer with AGP video slot just died, and my backup system has only
a PCI Express video slot.

I've been using the onboard video, on the backup system, but need a
little better video to play board games, etc.

Dead PC had the GeForce 5200, AGP, 128 MB, which was perfect for what
I need.

Any suggestions for a PCIE video card, equivalent to the AGP 5200 or a
little better, is appreciated.

Don't play any action games so don't need top of the line graphics.

Thanks

Cal Vanize
> Computer with AGP video slot just died, and my backup system has only
> a PCI Express video slot.
>
> I've been using the onboard video, on the backup system, but need a
> little better video to play board games, etc.
>
> Dead PC had the GeForce 5200, AGP, 128 MB, which was perfect for what
> I need.
>
> Any suggestions for a PCIE video card, equivalent to the AGP 5200 or a
> little better, is appreciated.
>
> Don't play any action games so don't need top of the line graphics.
>
> Thanks

7300GT seems like a nice card. For a few more bucks, the 7600GS is a
pretty good step up.

Phil Weldon
July 9th 07, 09:45 PM
'Cal Vanize' wrote, in part:
| > Any suggestions for a PCIE video card, equivalent to the AGP 5200 or a
| > little better, is appreciated.
| >
| > Don't play any action games so don't need top of the line graphics.
_____

Many games that are not 3D graphics intensive benfit quite a lot from a more
powerful video card - Civilization IV, for example, shows a big improvement
with an 8000 series nVidia based card. Not to mention the primary RAM freed
up by going to an add-in card rather than integrated graphics that use
system memory. One of the sub - $100 US 8000 series would also provide DX
10 compatability should you go to Vista.

Phil Weldon

"Cal Vanize" > wrote in message
| wrote:
| > Computer with AGP video slot just died, and my backup system has only
| > a PCI Express video slot.
| >
| > I've been using the onboard video, on the backup system, but need a
| > little better video to play board games, etc.
| >
| > Dead PC had the GeForce 5200, AGP, 128 MB, which was perfect for what
| > I need.
| >
| > Any suggestions for a PCIE video card, equivalent to the AGP 5200 or a
| > little better, is appreciated.
| >
| > Don't play any action games so don't need top of the line graphics.
| >
| > Thanks
|
| 7300GT seems like a nice card. For a few more bucks, the 7600GS is a
| pretty good step up.

July 11th 07, 06:26 PM
Thanks for you help.

Think I'll try the 7300, first.