PDA

View Full Version : Problems Installing XP-Pro on Asus MB P5S800-VM

July 9th 07, 07:47 AM
Hi all,

Hope someone could shed some light on a strange problem I have in
installing XP-Pro. (clean install)

Windows reports after copying files that it can not see the HDD. Which
is a SATA 120g. I checked
this drive on another PC and it has no problems.

I installed XP onto it with another PC and then put the drive into the
"new" PC, the result was, Windows
started as far as the LOGO screen and then went into "reboot mode" and
continued to do so untill I
powered down the system.

Removed the HDD, and formated it. Put it back into the "new" PC, with
the same error msg. Tried
installing Win-ME and got the same error msg yet again.

As far as I can see the only setting in the BIOS is either to enable
or disable SATA controller.

Am I missing something here? I am totaly lost.

Any advice appreciated
Allex

Peter van der Goes[_2_]
July 9th 07, 02:36 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> Hope someone could shed some light on a strange problem I have in
> installing XP-Pro. (clean install)
>
> Windows reports after copying files that it can not see the HDD. Which
> is a SATA 120g. I checked
> this drive on another PC and it has no problems.
>
> I installed XP onto it with another PC and then put the drive into the
> "new" PC, the result was, Windows
> started as far as the LOGO screen and then went into "reboot mode" and
> continued to do so untill I
> powered down the system.
>
> Removed the HDD, and formated it. Put it back into the "new" PC, with
> the same error msg. Tried
> installing Win-ME and got the same error msg yet again.
>
> As far as I can see the only setting in the BIOS is either to enable
> or disable SATA controller.
>
> Am I missing something here? I am totaly lost.
>
> Any advice appreciated
> Allex

I suspect you need to put your board's SATA drivers on a floppy (see you
motherboard manual), then hit F6 at the appropriate time at the beginning of
the XP install so the drivers can be installed for your SATA drive.