PDA

View Full Version : huge heatsink in MSI GeForce 7600GT

carrera d'olbani
July 1st 07, 09:45 AM
This is the MSI nVidia GeForce 7600GT card which I bought for my
gaming PC. Just look how big is the heatsink. I have never seen it
before on the video cards which are sold in the West. In the
beginning, I thought it was a forged card made cheaply, but now I have
found it on the official MSI site in China:

Orginal website in Chinese:
http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/newsrelease/news_page.php?UID=1273

Translation into English:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/newsrelease/news_page.php%3FUID%3D1273&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D7600GT%2Bsite:microstar.com.cn%26hl%3 Den%26sa%3DG

SteveH[_2_]
July 1st 07, 12:21 PM
carrera d'olbani wrote:
> This is the MSI nVidia GeForce 7600GT card which I bought for my
> gaming PC. Just look how big is the heatsink. I have never seen it
> before on the video cards which are sold in the West. In the
> beginning, I thought it was a forged card made cheaply, but now I have
> found it on the official MSI site in China:
>
> Orginal website in Chinese:
> http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/newsrelease/news_page.php?UID=1273
>
> Translation into English:
> http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/newsrelease/news_page.php%3FUID%3D1273&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D7600GT%2Bsite:microstar.com.cn%26hl%3 Den%26sa%3DG

That's bonkers! How many slots do you have left after installing that?

SteveH

Yes Baby
July 1st 07, 01:54 PM
"carrera d'olbani" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> This is the MSI nVidia GeForce 7600GT card which I bought for my
> gaming PC. Just look how big is the heatsink. I have never seen it
> before on the video cards which are sold in the West. In the
> beginning, I thought it was a forged card made cheaply, but now I have
> found it on the official MSI site in China:
>
> Orginal website in Chinese:
> http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/newsrelease/news_page.php?UID=1273
>
> Translation into English:
> http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/newsrelease/news_page.php%3FUID%3D1273&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D7600GT%2Bsite:microstar.com.cn%26hl%3 Den%26sa%3DG

note its DVI + VGA out..........my XFX 7600GT has 2 x DVI

perhaps this is an MSI trait.

Paul
July 1st 07, 03:13 PM
carrera d'olbani wrote:
> This is the MSI nVidia GeForce 7600GT card which I bought for my
> gaming PC. Just look how big is the heatsink. I have never seen it
> before on the video cards which are sold in the West. In the
> beginning, I thought it was a forged card made cheaply, but now I have
> found it on the official MSI site in China:
>
> Orginal website in Chinese:
> http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/newsrelease/news_page.php?UID=1273

What kind of temps do you get while gaming ?

Paul

carrera d'olbani
July 1st 07, 03:47 PM
On Jul 1, 11:13 pm, Paul > wrote:
> carrera d'olbani wrote:
> > This is the MSI nVidia GeForce 7600GT card which I bought for my
> > gaming PC. Just look how big is the heatsink. I have never seen it
> > before on the video cards which are sold in the West. In the
> > beginning, I thought it was a forged card made cheaply, but now I have
> > found it on the official MSI site in China:
>
> > Orginal website in Chinese:
> >http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/newsrelease/news_page.php?UID=1273
>
> What kind of temps do you get while gaming ?

I do not know. The heatsink is barely warm when I am playing HL2 at
maximum of the settings and with the resolution like 1200 x1024.

First of One[_2_]
July 1st 07, 04:48 PM
The reason you have never seen this cooler before, aside from its
impractical bulk, is because it's wholly unnecessary. The 7600GT simply
doesn't generate a lot of heat to warrant it.

MSI used to sell a fanless version of the card:
http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews-105.html

"carrera d'olbani" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> This is the MSI nVidia GeForce 7600GT card which I bought for my
> gaming PC. Just look how big is the heatsink. I have never seen it
> before on the video cards which are sold in the West. In the
> beginning, I thought it was a forged card made cheaply, but now I have
> found it on the official MSI site in China:
>
> Orginal website in Chinese:
> http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/newsrelease/news_page.php?UID=1273
>
> Translation into English:
> http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/newsrelease/news_page.php%3FUID%3D1273&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D7600GT%2Bsite:microstar.com.cn%26hl%3 Den%26sa%3DG

BigJim
July 1st 07, 04:55 PM
I could cool my house with that heatsink, have a 7600gt in my system and
mine is just
a flat one. The temp is about 56 C at idle and 62 C gamming.
"carrera d'olbani" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> This is the MSI nVidia GeForce 7600GT card which I bought for my
> gaming PC. Just look how big is the heatsink. I have never seen it
> before on the video cards which are sold in the West. In the
> beginning, I thought it was a forged card made cheaply, but now I have
> found it on the official MSI site in China:
>
> Orginal website in Chinese:
> http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/newsrelease/news_page.php?UID=1273
>
> Translation into English:
> http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/newsrelease/news_page.php%3FUID%3D1273&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D7600GT%2Bsite:microstar.com.cn%26hl%3 Den%26sa%3DG

carrera d'olbani
July 2nd 07, 12:29 AM
On Jul 2, 12:48 am, "First of One" > wrote:
> The reason you have never seen this cooler before, aside from its
> impractical bulk, is because it's wholly unnecessary. The 7600GT simply
> doesn't generate a lot of heat to warrant it.
>
> MSI used to sell a fanless version of the card:http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews-105.html

That's what I thought -- "the fan was too big for the purpose, and
therefore this card is a forgery by the imitators in China". But no,
this is an official MSI card. And strangely, I read the English
translation of their webpage, and they do not give the reason why they
slapped a huge heatsink onto the card. I thought it might be a special
edition of th ecard which is overclocked, and therefore needs to take
away a lot of heat -- but this does not seem through the description.
And the card is only slightly warm when working. I am at loss to
explain.

> "carrera d'olbani" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>
> > This is the MSI nVidia GeForce 7600GT card which I bought for my
> > gaming PC. Just look how big is the heatsink. I have never seen it
> > before on the video cards which are sold in the West. In the
> > beginning, I thought it was a forged card made cheaply, but now I have
> > found it on the official MSI site in China:
>
> > Orginal website in Chinese:
> >http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/newsrelease/news_page.php?UID=1273
>
> > Translation into English:
> >http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.mic...

Paul
July 2nd 07, 12:47 AM
carrera d'olbani wrote:
> On Jul 2, 12:48 am, "First of One" > wrote:
>> The reason you have never seen this cooler before, aside from its
>> impractical bulk, is because it's wholly unnecessary. The 7600GT simply
>> doesn't generate a lot of heat to warrant it.
>>
>> MSI used to sell a fanless version of the card:http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews-105.html
>
> That's what I thought -- "the fan was too big for the purpose, and
> therefore this card is a forgery by the imitators in China". But no,
> this is an official MSI card. And strangely, I read the English
> translation of their webpage, and they do not give the reason why they
> slapped a huge heatsink onto the card. I thought it might be a special
> edition of th ecard which is overclocked, and therefore needs to take
> away a lot of heat -- but this does not seem through the description.
> And the card is only slightly warm when working. I am at loss to
> explain.

I think the guy who designed that thing, has never seen a heatsink
before :-)

Conceptually, the thing is pretty bad. The cooling fins, only fill
half the air channel. The air channel should have been shaped, to
force all the air to flow through the fin area. What will happen
with the design as it now stands, is most of the air from the
fan, passes through the open area above the fins. It means probably
more than half the airflow from the fan, isn't doing anything when
it moves through the tube.

Maybe someone will put this in a textbook, as an example of what
not to do :-)

Paul

Sleepy
July 2nd 07, 10:03 AM
"carrera d'olbani" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> This is the MSI nVidia GeForce 7600GT card which I bought for my
> gaming PC. Just look how big is the heatsink. I have never seen it
> before on the video cards which are sold in the West. In the
> beginning, I thought it was a forged card made cheaply, but now I have
> found it on the official MSI site in China:
>
> Orginal website in Chinese:
> http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/newsrelease/news_page.php?UID=1273
>
> Translation into English:
> http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/newsrelease/news_page.php%3FUID%3D1273&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D7600GT%2Bsite:microstar.com.cn%26hl%3 Den%26sa%3DG

look on the plus side - you have a graphics card and hair drier all-in-one.

Marcus Redd
July 2nd 07, 11:16 AM
"carrera d'olbani" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jul 2, 12:48 am, "First of One" > wrote:
>> The reason you have never seen this cooler before, aside from its
>> impractical bulk, is because it's wholly unnecessary. The 7600GT simply
>> doesn't generate a lot of heat to warrant it.
>>
>> MSI used to sell a fanless version of the
>> card:http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews-105.html
>
> That's what I thought -- "the fan was too big for the purpose, and
> therefore this card is a forgery by the imitators in China". But no,
> this is an official MSI card. And strangely, I read the English
> translation of their webpage, and they do not give the reason why they
> slapped a huge heatsink onto the card. I thought it might be a special
> edition of th ecard which is overclocked, and therefore needs to take
> away a lot of heat -- but this does not seem through the description.
> And the card is only slightly warm when working. I am at loss to
> explain.

How much you pay for it, roughly?

G Hardy
July 2nd 07, 12:49 PM
"Sleepy" > wrote in message
.uk...

> look on the plus side - you have a graphics card and hair drier
> all-in-one.

Not if he wants his hair drier to blow out warm hair... ;o)

carrera d'olbani
July 2nd 07, 01:55 PM
On Jul 2, 7:16 pm, "Marcus Redd" > wrote:
> "carrera d'olbani" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On Jul 2, 12:48 am, "First of One" > wrote:
> >> The reason you have never seen this cooler before, aside from its
> >> impractical bulk, is because it's wholly unnecessary. The 7600GT simply
> >> doesn't generate a lot of heat to warrant it.
>
> >> MSI used to sell a fanless version of the
> >> card:http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews-105.html
>
> > That's what I thought -- "the fan was too big for the purpose, and
> > therefore this card is a forgery by the imitators in China". But no,
> > this is an official MSI card. And strangely, I read the English
> > translation of their webpage, and they do not give the reason why they
> > slapped a huge heatsink onto the card. I thought it might be a special
> > edition of th ecard which is overclocked, and therefore needs to take
> > away a lot of heat -- but this does not seem through the description.
> > And the card is only slightly warm when working. I am at loss to
> > explain.
>
> How much you pay for it, roughly?-

Mmm... I do not remember. Something like RMB500 (US$60) ?

carrera d'olbani
July 2nd 07, 01:58 PM
On Jul 2, 8:47 am, Paul > wrote:
> carrera d'olbani wrote:
> > On Jul 2, 12:48 am, "First of One" > wrote:
> >> The reason you have never seen this cooler before, aside from its
> >> impractical bulk, is because it's wholly unnecessary. The 7600GT simply
> >> doesn't generate a lot of heat to warrant it.
>
> >> MSI used to sell a fanless version of the card:http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews-105.html
>
> > That's what I thought -- "the fan was too big for the purpose, and
> > therefore this card is a forgery by the imitators in China". But no,
> > this is an official MSI card. And strangely, I read the English
> > translation of their webpage, and they do not give the reason why they
> > slapped a huge heatsink onto the card. I thought it might be a special
> > edition of th ecard which is overclocked, and therefore needs to take
> > away a lot of heat -- but this does not seem through the description.
> > And the card is only slightly warm when working. I am at loss to
> > explain.
>
> I think the guy who designed that thing, has never seen a heatsink
> before :-)
>
> Conceptually, the thing is pretty bad. The cooling fins, only fill
> half the air channel. The air channel should have been shaped, to
> force all the air to flow through the fin area. What will happen
> with the design as it now stands, is most of the air from the
> fan, passes through the open area above the fins. It means probably
> more than half the airflow from the fan, isn't doing anything when
> it moves through the tube.
>
> Maybe someone will put this in a textbook, as an example of what
> not to do :-)

If you read their website, they claimed this design (fins fill only
around half of the duct) created a turbulent flow which prevented the
dust from getting stuck to the fins.

GMAN[_3_]
July 3rd 07, 07:26 AM
In article m>, carrera d'olbani > wrote:
>This is the MSI nVidia GeForce 7600GT card which I bought for my
>gaming PC. Just look how big is the heatsink. I have never seen it
>before on the video cards which are sold in the West. In the
>beginning, I thought it was a forged card made cheaply, but now I have
>found it on the official MSI site in China:
>
>Orginal website in Chinese:
>http://www.microstar.com.cn/program/newsrelease/news_page.php?UID=1273
>
>Translation into English:
>http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.microstar.com
>.cn/program/newsrelease/news_page.php%3FUID%3D1273&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&c
>t=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D7600GT%2Bsite:microstar.com.cn%26hl%3 Den%26sa%3DG

Whats the point if that beast doesn't vent the heat outside of the case?

July 3rd 07, 10:37 AM
For those of you who haven't gotten time to check into them, here's
the lowdown. There are three new recipes available from the lovely
dancing barmaid, Kylene, in the bar in the Lower City. The amusing
thing about these three new recipes (at least to me) is that they have
you cooking the off-hand fish "weapons" that you can catch. (Of
course, this means that gone are the days of Monty Python Fish
Slapping Dance renditions. Wait... Maybe that's just my guild. )

Nonetheless, for those with an eye for fresh fish and sampling the
finest in Azerothian Cuisine, check out the Good Eats after the jump!
http://www.wowatm.com
http://www.wowatm.com
http://www.wowatm.com