PDA

View Full Version : 7600GS temperature

Steve Luttrell
June 22nd 07, 10:49 PM
I have just installed a 7600GS card, and it runs rather hot (i.e. around 100
F) with very little video activity needed to push the temperature up to its
slowdown threshold (i.e. 125 F). Is this normal or could there be a problem
with the card?

I have already moved all of my other cards well out of the way to make sure
they don't obstruct the airflow, but this helped only a little.

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

First of One[_2_]
June 22nd 07, 11:09 PM
100 F or 100 C? 100 F is only about 38 C, fairly cool.

The shutdown threshold is 125 C for sure.

"Steve Luttrell" > wrote in message
>I have just installed a 7600GS card, and it runs rather hot (i.e. around
>100 F) with very little video activity needed to push the temperature up to
>its slowdown threshold (i.e. 125 F). Is this normal or could there be a
>problem with the card?
>
> I have already moved all of my other cards well out of the way to make
> sure they don't obstruct the airflow, but this helped only a little.
>
> Steve Luttrell
> West Malvern, UK

Steve Luttrell
June 22nd 07, 11:14 PM
Sorry. My mistake. All temperatures are C (not F).

My card runs at 100C ambient, and rises to the slowdown threshold of 120C
with only light use. Is this normal?

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

"First of One" > wrote in message
> 100 F or 100 C? 100 F is only about 38 C, fairly cool.
>
> The shutdown threshold is 125 C for sure.

> "Steve Luttrell" > wrote in message
>>I have just installed a 7600GS card, and it runs rather hot (i.e. around
>>100 F) with very little video activity needed to push the temperature up
>>to its slowdown threshold (i.e. 125 F). Is this normal or could there be a
>>problem with the card?
>>
>> I have already moved all of my other cards well out of the way to make
>> sure they don't obstruct the airflow, but this helped only a little.
>>
>> Steve Luttrell
>> West Malvern, UK

Cal Vanize
June 22nd 07, 11:20 PM
Steve Luttrell wrote:
> Sorry. My mistake. All temperatures are C (not F).
>
> My card runs at 100C ambient, and rises to the slowdown threshold of 120C
> with only light use. Is this normal?
>
> Steve Luttrell
> West Malvern, UK
>
> "First of One" > wrote in message
>> 100 F or 100 C? 100 F is only about 38 C, fairly cool.
>>
>> The shutdown threshold is 125 C for sure.
>>
>> --
>> "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
>> It can therefore be said that politics is war without
>> bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
>>

>> "Steve Luttrell" > wrote in message
>>> I have just installed a 7600GS card, and it runs rather hot (i.e. around
>>> 100 F) with very little video activity needed to push the temperature up
>>> to its slowdown threshold (i.e. 125 F). Is this normal or could there be a
>>> problem with the card?
>>>
>>> I have already moved all of my other cards well out of the way to make
>>> sure they don't obstruct the airflow, but this helped only a little.
>>>
>>> Steve Luttrell
>>> West Malvern, UK

Mine is running 40C with some light load (HTPC). Have you considered
getting a little better case ventilation? Maybe cleaning the dust off
the heat sinks and making sure there's good airflow around the card?

Steve Luttrell
June 22nd 07, 11:32 PM
"Cal Vanize" > wrote in message
> Steve Luttrell wrote:
>> Sorry. My mistake. All temperatures are C (not F).
>>
>> My card runs at 100C ambient, and rises to the slowdown threshold of 120C
>> with only light use. Is this normal?
>>
>> Steve Luttrell
>> West Malvern, UK
>>
>> "First of One" > wrote in message
>>> 100 F or 100 C? 100 F is only about 38 C, fairly cool.
>>>
>>> The shutdown threshold is 125 C for sure.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
>>> It can therefore be said that politics is war without
>>> bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

> Mine is running 40C with some light load (HTPC). Have you considered
> getting a little better case ventilation? Maybe cleaning the dust off the
> heat sinks and making sure there's good airflow around the card?

Operating with the side of the computer case open makes no discernable
difference. Adjusting the position of the card to maximise airflow made a
small improvement. It seems that 97-100C is the best I can do.

If it's any help, the card is the PNY Technologies sold by PCWorld.

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

Phil Weldon
June 23rd 07, 02:10 AM
'Steve Luttrel' wrote:
| Operating with the side of the computer case open makes no discernable
| difference. Adjusting the position of the card to maximise airflow made a
| small improvement. It seems that 97-100C is the best I can do.
|
| If it's any help, the card is the PNY Technologies sold by PCWorld.
_____

Either your reported temperature is incorrect or the GPU heatsink/fan is not
working correctly.

Let's start with some clarification:

What is the ambient ROOM temperature in degrees C?

What is the CPU temperature? How is it reported? What CPU do you have?

What is the reported GPU temperature when not under load?

Does your GPU heatsink HAVE a fan?

Phil Weldon

"Steve Luttrell" > wrote in message

| "Cal Vanize" > wrote in message
| > Steve Luttrell wrote:
| >> Sorry. My mistake. All temperatures are C (not F).
| >>
| >> My card runs at 100C ambient, and rises to the slowdown threshold of
120C
| >> with only light use. Is this normal?
| >>
| >> Steve Luttrell
| >> West Malvern, UK

message

| > Mine is running 40C with some light load (HTPC). Have you considered
| > getting a little better case ventilation? Maybe cleaning the dust off
the
| > heat sinks and making sure there's good airflow around the card?
| >

| Operating with the side of the computer case open makes no discernable
| difference. Adjusting the position of the card to maximise airflow made a
| small improvement. It seems that 97-100C is the best I can do.
|
| If it's any help, the card is the PNY Technologies sold by PCWorld.
|
| Steve Luttrell
| West Malvern, UK

BigJim
June 23rd 07, 04:33 AM
I am running a 7600gt and the idle temp is 48c so there is something wrong
with either you card cooler or
the temp reading software. My room temp is about 74 F.
It could also be a faulty temp sensor, very rare or the heatsink is loose.

"Steve Luttrell" > wrote in message
>I have just installed a 7600GS card, and it runs rather hot (i.e. around
>100 F) with very little video activity needed to push the temperature up to
>its slowdown threshold (i.e. 125 F). Is this normal or could there be a
>problem with the card?
>
> I have already moved all of my other cards well out of the way to make
> sure they don't obstruct the airflow, but this helped only a little.
>
> Steve Luttrell
> West Malvern, UK

Steve Luttrell
June 23rd 07, 10:15 AM
"Phil Weldon" > wrote in message
. net...
> 'Steve Luttrel' wrote:
> | Operating with the side of the computer case open makes no discernable
> | difference. Adjusting the position of the card to maximise airflow made
> | small improvement. It seems that 97-100C is the best I can do.
> |
> | If it's any help, the card is the PNY Technologies sold by PCWorld.
> _____
>
> Either your reported temperature is incorrect or the GPU heatsink/fan is
> not
> working correctly.
>
> Let's start with some clarification:
>
> What is the ambient ROOM temperature in degrees C?
>
> What is the CPU temperature? How is it reported? What CPU do you have?
>
> What is the reported GPU temperature when not under load?
>
> Does your GPU heatsink HAVE a fan?
>
> Phil Weldon

GPU is PNY GeForce 7600GS AGP 256MB.
Ambient room temperature 23C.
Reported CPU temperature 69-71C. Reported in BIOS setup. CPU is AMD Athlon
XP 2800+.
Reported GPU temperature (not under load) 97-100C. Reported by nVidia
control panel software.
GPU heatsink does have a fan. The fan is rotating and blowing air. There is
no obstruction to this airflow.

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

Steve Luttrell
June 23rd 07, 10:19 AM
It is beginning to look as if there is something faulty with the GPU card,
so armed with all this information I will contact PCWorld (where I bought
the card) to check what they say.

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

"BigJim" > wrote in message
. ..
>I am running a 7600gt and the idle temp is 48c so there is something wrong
>with either you card cooler or
> the temp reading software. My room temp is about 74 F.
> It could also be a faulty temp sensor, very rare or the heatsink is loose.
>

> "Steve Luttrell" > wrote in message
>>I have just installed a 7600GS card, and it runs rather hot (i.e. around
>>100 F) with very little video activity needed to push the temperature up
>>to its slowdown threshold (i.e. 125 F). Is this normal or could there be a
>>problem with the card?
>>
>> I have already moved all of my other cards well out of the way to make
>> sure they don't obstruct the airflow, but this helped only a little.
>>
>> Steve Luttrell
>> West Malvern, UK

Phil Weldon
June 23rd 07, 10:45 AM
'Steve Luttrell' wrote:
| GPU is PNY GeForce 7600GS AGP 256MB.
| Ambient room temperature 23C.
| Reported CPU temperature 69-71C. Reported in BIOS setup. CPU is AMD Athlon
| XP 2800+.
| Reported GPU temperature (not under load) 97-100C. Reported by nVidia
| control panel software.
| GPU heatsink does have a fan. The fan is rotating and blowing air. There
is
| no obstruction to this airflow.
_____

Something is faulty. Consider requesting a replacement from the vendor.
Again do you get any temperatures from the BIOS?
It does seem that your CPU temperatures are high; is the 69 to71 C CPU
temperature reported under load, under 100% load, idle?
Have you measured the temperature of the air entering the GPU heatsink?

Phil Weldon

"Steve Luttrell" > wrote in message

| "Phil Weldon" > wrote in message
| . net...
| > 'Steve Luttrel' wrote:
| > | Operating with the side of the computer case open makes no discernable
| > | difference. Adjusting the position of the card to maximise airflow
made
| > | small improvement. It seems that 97-100C is the best I can do.
| > |
| > | If it's any help, the card is the PNY Technologies sold by PCWorld.
| > _____
| >
| > Either your reported temperature is incorrect or the GPU heatsink/fan is
| > not
| > working correctly.
| >
| > Let's start with some clarification:
| >
| > What is the ambient ROOM temperature in degrees C?
| >
| > What is the CPU temperature? How is it reported? What CPU do you have?
| >
| > What is the reported GPU temperature when not under load?
| >
| > Does your GPU heatsink HAVE a fan?
| >
| > Phil Weldon
| >

| GPU is PNY GeForce 7600GS AGP 256MB.
| Ambient room temperature 23C.
| Reported CPU temperature 69-71C. Reported in BIOS setup. CPU is AMD Athlon
| XP 2800+.
| Reported GPU temperature (not under load) 97-100C. Reported by nVidia
| control panel software.
| GPU heatsink does have a fan. The fan is rotating and blowing air. There
is
| no obstruction to this airflow.
|
| Steve Luttrell
| West Malvern, UK

Steve Luttrell
June 23rd 07, 11:39 AM
"Phil Weldon" > wrote in message
.net...
> 'Steve Luttrell' wrote:
> | GPU is PNY GeForce 7600GS AGP 256MB.
> | Ambient room temperature 23C.
> | Reported CPU temperature 69-71C. Reported in BIOS setup. CPU is AMD
> Athlon
> | XP 2800+.
> | Reported GPU temperature (not under load) 97-100C. Reported by nVidia
> | control panel software.
> | GPU heatsink does have a fan. The fan is rotating and blowing air. There
> is
> | no obstruction to this airflow.
> _____
>
> Something is faulty. Consider requesting a replacement from the vendor.
> Again do you get any temperatures from the BIOS?
> It does seem that your CPU temperatures are high; is the 69 to71 C CPU
> temperature reported under load, under 100% load, idle?
> Have you measured the temperature of the air entering the GPU heatsink?
>
> Phil Weldon

Are we top- or bottom-posting? I've lost track!

The CPU temperature is reported from the BIOS setup, and is the temperature
under idle conditions (i.e. you are in BIOS setup during booting the PC). .
I don't know any other way of measuring the CPU temperature.

If I operate with the PC case open then the air entering the GPU heatsink is
at approximately the same temperature as the ambient temperature of the
room, i.e. 23C. The reported GPU temperature of 97-100C is approximately the
same under these conditions as when the PC case is closed.

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

> "Steve Luttrell" > wrote in message
> |
> | "Phil Weldon" > wrote in message
> | . net...
> discernable
> made
> | > |
> | > _____
> | >
> | > Either your reported temperature is incorrect or the GPU heatsink/fan
> is
> | > not
> | > working correctly.
> | >
> | > Let's start with some clarification:
> | >
> | > What is the ambient ROOM temperature in degrees C?
> | >
> | > What is the CPU temperature? How is it reported? What CPU do you
> have?
> | >
> | > What is the reported GPU temperature when not under load?
> | >
> | > Does your GPU heatsink HAVE a fan?
> | >
> | > Phil Weldon
> | >

> | GPU is PNY GeForce 7600GS AGP 256MB.
> | Ambient room temperature 23C.
> | Reported CPU temperature 69-71C. Reported in BIOS setup. CPU is AMD
> Athlon
> | XP 2800+.
> | Reported GPU temperature (not under load) 97-100C. Reported by nVidia
> | control panel software.
> | GPU heatsink does have a fan. The fan is rotating and blowing air. There
> is
> | no obstruction to this airflow.
> |
> | Steve Luttrell
> | West Malvern, UK

First of One[_2_]
June 23rd 07, 02:53 PM
What drivers are you using? The latest for XP32/Win2K is 94.24.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_94.24.html

With older drivers, a few isolated users have reported incorrect temperature
readings, incorrect video RAM clock speeds (e.g. RAM shown as 2.4 GHz
instead of 1.2 GHz), etc. So make sure you use the latest drivers and not
the ones from the bundled CD.

"Steve Luttrell" > wrote in message
> It is beginning to look as if there is something faulty with the GPU card,
> so armed with all this information I will contact PCWorld (where I bought
> the card) to check what they say.
>
> Steve Luttrell
> West Malvern, UK
>
> "BigJim" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>I am running a 7600gt and the idle temp is 48c so there is something wrong
>>with either you card cooler or
>> the temp reading software. My room temp is about 74 F.
>> It could also be a faulty temp sensor, very rare or the heatsink is
>> loose.
>>

>> "Steve Luttrell" > wrote in message
>>>I have just installed a 7600GS card, and it runs rather hot (i.e. around
>>>100 F) with very little video activity needed to push the temperature up
>>>to its slowdown threshold (i.e. 125 F). Is this normal or could there be
>>>a problem with the card?
>>>
>>> I have already moved all of my other cards well out of the way to make
>>> sure they don't obstruct the airflow, but this helped only a little.
>>>
>>> Steve Luttrell
>>> West Malvern, UK

Steve Luttrell
June 23rd 07, 03:39 PM
I wondered why the air current to/from the GPU card was so weak, and began
to suspect it was actually zero! I upended my computer to have a really
close look at the GPU card in situ, and found that its fan wasn't rotating
at all, which would explain the overheating I have been experiencing.
Somehow I had earlier convinced myself that the fan was spinning, but it was
by putting my hand in the airflow under the card rather than looking at it
directly.

Looking even closer at the GPU card, I noticed that the red and black wires
leading to the centre of the fan were jammed up against the fan blades so
that they could not easily turn. A few tweaks later and I had a spinning GPU
fan, and a while later I had a reported GPU temperature of only 42C. The
answer to life, the universe, and everything, of course!

Thanks to you all for your useful suggestions. As it is, the solution turned
out to be annoyingly obvious. Not only that, but I have had wires jamming
CPU fans in this way before, so this looks like a fundamentally bad wiring
design, or at least a problem waiting to happen.

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

"Steve Luttrell" > wrote in message
>I have just installed a 7600GS card, and it runs rather hot (i.e. around
>100 F) with very little video activity needed to push the temperature up to
>its slowdown threshold (i.e. 125 F). Is this normal or could there be a
>problem with the card?
>
> I have already moved all of my other cards well out of the way to make
> sure they don't obstruct the airflow, but this helped only a little.
>
> Steve Luttrell
> West Malvern, UK

Steve Luttrell
June 23rd 07, 03:40 PM
Problem now resolved. See my response to my original question.

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

Steve Luttrell
June 23rd 07, 03:40 PM
Problem now resolved. See my response to my original question.

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

goPostal
June 24th 07, 02:05 AM
"Steve Luttrell" > wrote in message
>I wondered why the air current to/from the GPU card was so weak, and began
>to suspect it was actually zero! I upended my computer to have a really
>close look at the GPU card in situ, and found that its fan wasn't rotating
>at all, which would explain the overheating I have been experiencing.
>Somehow I had earlier convinced myself that the fan was spinning, but it
>was by putting my hand in the airflow under the card rather than looking at
>it directly.
>
> Looking even closer at the GPU card, I noticed that the red and black
> wires leading to the centre of the fan were jammed up against the fan
> blades so that they could not easily turn. A few tweaks later and I had a
> spinning GPU fan, and a while later I had a reported GPU temperature of
> only 42C. The answer to life, the universe, and everything, of course!
>
> Thanks to you all for your useful suggestions. As it is, the solution
> turned out to be annoyingly obvious. Not only that, but I have had wires
> jamming CPU fans in this way before, so this looks like a fundamentally
> bad wiring design, or at least a problem waiting to happen.
>
> Steve Luttrell
> West Malvern, UK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_Razor

First of One[_2_]
June 24th 07, 03:09 AM
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=256-P2-N549-TX&family=22

To a cynic, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be...

"goPostal" > wrote in message
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_Razor

George Mooth
June 25th 07, 06:16 PM
On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 23:32:52 +0100, "Steve Luttrell"
> wrote:

>"Cal Vanize" > wrote in message
>> Steve Luttrell wrote:
>>> Sorry. My mistake. All temperatures are C (not F).
>>>
>>> My card runs at 100C ambient, and rises to the slowdown threshold of 120C
>>> with only light use. Is this normal?
>>>
>>> Steve Luttrell
>>> West Malvern, UK

Have you checked to make sure your Video card fan is plugged
in?

>> Mine is running 40C with some light load (HTPC). Have you considered
>> getting a little better case ventilation? Maybe cleaning the dust off the
>> heat sinks and making sure there's good airflow around the card?
>>

>Operating with the side of the computer case open makes no discernable
>difference. Adjusting the position of the card to maximise airflow made a
>small improvement. It seems that 97-100C is the best I can do.
>
>If it's any help, the card is the PNY Technologies sold by PCWorld.
>
>Steve Luttrell
>West Malvern, UK

P Gagg
June 26th 07, 05:35 PM
In article >,
(Steve Luttrell) wrote:

> *From:* "Steve Luttrell" >
> *Date:* Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:49:41 +0100
>
> I have just installed a 7600GS card, and it runs rather hot (i.e.
> around 100 F) with very little video activity needed to push the
> temperature up to its slowdown threshold (i.e. 125 F). Is this
> normal or could there be a problem with the card?

Mine is a fanless model (has large heatsink) and runs at 41 degrees C at
idle, gets up to around 50 degrees C max at sustained load.

Yours sounds like it is running very hot!

Does it have a fan? is the fan working?

*Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/

Ed Medlin
June 29th 07, 01:25 PM
"P Gagg" > wrote in message
ine.com...
> In article >,
> (Steve Luttrell) wrote:
>
>> *From:* "Steve Luttrell" >
>> *Date:* Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:49:41 +0100
>>
>> I have just installed a 7600GS card, and it runs rather hot (i.e.
>> around 100 F) with very little video activity needed to push the
>> temperature up to its slowdown threshold (i.e. 125 F). Is this
>> normal or could there be a problem with the card?
>
> Mine is a fanless model (has large heatsink) and runs at 41 degrees C at
> idle, gets up to around 50 degrees C max at sustained load.
>
> Yours sounds like it is running very hot!
>
> Does it have a fan? is the fan working?
>
> *Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/

He is using F instead of C.

Ed

Phil Weldon
June 29th 07, 06:40 PM
'Ed Medlin' wrote:
| He is using F instead of C.
_____

The original poster was using Celsius! But it turns out the video card fan
was not operating!

Phil Weldon

. net...