PDA

View Full Version : New Theory: GTX 7900 with 512 MB killed the motherboard ;) (Overheat !)

Skybuck Flying
June 21st 07, 03:30 AM
Hello,

I noticed in the nvidia control panel the temperatures of the these two
graphics cards (sli) are 50 degrees celcius in idle mode !

That's pretty high !

Add to the fact that the gfx fans are probably spinning very slowly because
of idling,

Add to the fact the output holes are very tiny,

Add to the fact there is little spacing between them,

Add to the fact the airflow in the case was not optimal,

Add to the rumor the mb sensor is near the cards,

and there you have my new theory:

The GTX cards killed the motherboard ! Overheat ! ;)

Some questions:

1. Is it possible to underclock these cards ?

2. Is it possible to make the fans spin a bit faster even in idle mode ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

First of One[_2_]
June 21st 07, 04:22 AM
You should've sticked with the all-conquering FX5200 that you loved so
much...

"Skybuck Flying" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I noticed in the nvidia control panel the temperatures of the these two
> graphics cards (sli) are 50 degrees celcius in idle mode !
>
> That's pretty high !
>
> Add to the fact that the gfx fans are probably spinning very slowly
> because of idling,
>
> Add to the fact the output holes are very tiny,
>
> Add to the fact there is little spacing between them,
>
> Add to the fact the airflow in the case was not optimal,
>
> Add to the rumor the mb sensor is near the cards,
>
> and there you have my new theory:
>
> The GTX cards killed the motherboard ! Overheat ! ;)
>
> Some questions:
>
> 1. Is it possible to underclock these cards ?
>
> 2. Is it possible to make the fans spin a bit faster even in idle mode ?
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

Lorenzo Sandini
June 21st 07, 07:18 AM
Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Hello,

<snip>

> Some questions:
>
> 1. Is it possible to underclock these cards ?

I don't know and I am not sure I want to know. Using the drivers
probably not, but using Rivatuner and low-level control this should be
possible.

However I wonder why one would like to build a dream machine with SLI
and all, and then underclock CPUs and gfx cards... doesn't make much
sense to me.

My machine is by far not a dream machine (asus p5b-dlx, e6600, 7800gtx)
all running at default, but it can barely be heard even during CPU- and
GPU-heavy gaming. (Noctua cooler and CPU/case fans. No crashes, no
overheating, almost dirt cheap (second-hand mobo and gfx).

> 2. Is it possible to make the fans spin a bit faster even in idle mode ?

On my 7800gtx, I am still using the original fan, and it cannot be
controlled by using the drivers settings. However, Rivatuner offers
low-level control on the fans' speed, and I can set them manually or
automatically. I leave that control to the driver itself, that takes
care of this correctly. For a SLI setup though, I don't know if the fans
can be set separately.

You should concentrate on having a decent machine running silent at
defaults, so you can enjoy it, rather than be bothered all the time by
all the problems the previous one caused you. You had a dead mobo, SO
WHAT ? Move on now.

Lorenzo
www.brokenbones.d2g.com

Craig Sutton
June 21st 07, 09:06 AM
"Skybuck Flying" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I noticed in the nvidia control panel the temperatures of the these two
> graphics cards (sli) are 50 degrees celcius in idle mode !
>
> That's pretty high !

its very low for those cards.

Here's a new theory **** happens, motherboards die, GET OVER IT

Eeyore
June 21st 07, 09:59 AM
Lorenzo Sandini wrote:

> You had a dead mobo, SO
> WHAT ? Move on now.

The guy's a total lunatic.Ignore him.

Graham

Bhagat Gurtu
June 21st 07, 10:12 AM
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 04:30:16 +0200, Skybuck Flying wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I noticed in the nvidia control panel the temperatures of the these two
> graphics cards (sli) are 50 degrees celcius in idle mode !
>
> That's pretty high !

What are you smoking?

> Add to the fact the output holes are very tiny,

Plenty big enough for your tiny prick.

Bhagat

martin griffith[_2_]
June 21st 07, 11:48 AM
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:59:45 GMT, in sci.electronics.design Eeyore
> wrote:

>Lorenzo Sandini wrote:
>
>> You had a dead mobo, SO
>> WHAT ? Move on now.
>
>The guy's a total lunatic.Ignore him.
>
>Graham
I found a picture of him
http://tesladownunder.com/Tesla18Dalek10003Ft.jpg

martin

John
June 21st 07, 12:07 PM
Please people, do IGNORE him, he is multiposting in every group, he is sick,
he says he knew everything about computer and he knows nothing.

"Skybuck Flying" > schreef in bericht
> Hello,
>
> I noticed in the nvidia control panel the temperatures of the these two
> graphics cards (sli) are 50 degrees celcius in idle mode !
>
> That's pretty high !
>
> Add to the fact that the gfx fans are probably spinning very slowly
> because of idling,
>
> Add to the fact the output holes are very tiny,
>
> Add to the fact there is little spacing between them,
>
> Add to the fact the airflow in the case was not optimal,
>
> Add to the rumor the mb sensor is near the cards,
>
> and there you have my new theory:
>
> The GTX cards killed the motherboard ! Overheat ! ;)
>
> Some questions:
>
> 1. Is it possible to underclock these cards ?
>
> 2. Is it possible to make the fans spin a bit faster even in idle mode ?
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

Ed Medlin
June 21st 07, 01:30 PM
"Skybuck Flying" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I noticed in the nvidia control panel the temperatures of the these two
> graphics cards (sli) are 50 degrees celcius in idle mode !
>
> That's pretty high !

Not high at all. Most later models run much higher than any processors will
run. My SLIed 8800 GTX cards default alarm is a lot higher than 50c. That is
about normal at idle. 70+C is not unusual with most newer cards under
stress. With just average airflow those temps would not hurt your MB at all.
You worry far too much. Your MB died.......that is it. They do just die you
know. Get over it.

Ed

Ed Medlin
June 21st 07, 01:31 PM
"martin griffith" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:59:45 GMT, in sci.electronics.design Eeyore
> > wrote:
>

>>Lorenzo Sandini wrote:
>>
>>> You had a dead mobo, SO
>>> WHAT ? Move on now.
>>
>>The guy's a total lunatic.Ignore him.
>>
>>Graham
> I found a picture of him
> http://tesladownunder.com/Tesla18Dalek10003Ft.jpg
>

> martin

Hilarious.......:-)

Ed

goPostal
June 22nd 07, 02:29 PM
"martin griffith" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:59:45 GMT, in sci.electronics.design Eeyore
> > wrote:
>

>>Lorenzo Sandini wrote:
>>
>>> You had a dead mobo, SO
>>> WHAT ? Move on now.
>>
>>The guy's a total lunatic.Ignore him.
>>
>>Graham
> I found a picture of him
> http://tesladownunder.com/Tesla18Dalek10003Ft.jpg
>

> martin

AND it even looks like a dick.

JAD[_3_]
June 22nd 07, 04:43 PM
Be sure to pick up his next novel. Coming to a overly crossposted thread near you.

Skybuck Flying
June 24th 07, 06:44 AM
Well to answer my own questions:

1. Yes it's possible to underclock them with RivaTuner... though I did not
notice any temperature drops. (Not sure if clocks were really lower,
probably though)

(Maybe I'll try playing a game with lower clocks to see if I noticed
anything but for now it leave it at default).

(I also tried coolbits tweak but that didn't work)

2. Yes it's possible to manually control the fans of both cards... that was
pretty cool !

I set the fan of first card to full speed and there it went... vvvmmmmmmmm.

Then the fan of the second card to full speed... and ther eit went...
vmmmmmm.

They both can make some hell of a noise... Well it's in the morning anyway.

I can hear a nail drop on the street I guess :) though cars slowly started
to drive by ;)

During real-world gaming they probably don't spin that hard ? :)

Anyway making them spin at full speed did drop the idle temperature from 53
degrees celcius to 48 degrees celcius during a minute of testing.

So that's a 5 degree drop...

I could also definetly notice more heat coming out of them at the back.

Kinda worrieing to see a 52 to 54 idle temperature with slow fans... hmmm.

Hmm not to happy with that... oh well..

Probably not gonna buy such a heat chips in the future that's for sure ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

"Skybuck Flying" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I noticed in the nvidia control panel the temperatures of the these two
> graphics cards (sli) are 50 degrees celcius in idle mode !
>
> That's pretty high !
>
> Add to the fact that the gfx fans are probably spinning very slowly
> because of idling,
>
> Add to the fact the output holes are very tiny,
>
> Add to the fact there is little spacing between them,
>
> Add to the fact the airflow in the case was not optimal,
>
> Add to the rumor the mb sensor is near the cards,
>
> and there you have my new theory:
>
> The GTX cards killed the motherboard ! Overheat ! ;)
>
> Some questions:
>
> 1. Is it possible to underclock these cards ?
>
> 2. Is it possible to make the fans spin a bit faster even in idle mode ?
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying
June 24th 07, 06:53 AM
Well,

I also just took a look at an nvidia bios editor... which show the voltages
of the cards.

Apperently there are two pre-programmed voltages:

1. 1.3 volts for 2D.

2. 1.4 volts for 3D.

The cards probably switch voltage when going 3D or so ? ;)

Well I am not sure if I can immediate change the voltage level or if I have
to flash it into the cards.

Ofcourse I am not going to try it because I don't know for sure what I am
doing and it's way to risky... but it was interesting to see this ;)

Also the lowest value possible is probably 1.3 volts ?

So not much use anyway.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying
June 24th 07, 06:55 AM
Just wanted to change the topic so I can find it later more easily ;)

1. Riva tuner does the trick ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

"Skybuck Flying" > wrote in message
> Well to answer my own questions:
>
> 1. Yes it's possible to underclock them with RivaTuner... though I did not
> notice any temperature drops. (Not sure if clocks were really lower,
> probably though)
>
> (Maybe I'll try playing a game with lower clocks to see if I noticed
> anything but for now it leave it at default).
>
> (I also tried coolbits tweak but that didn't work)
>
> 2. Yes it's possible to manually control the fans of both cards... that
> was pretty cool !
>
> I set the fan of first card to full speed and there it went...
> vvvmmmmmmmm.
>
> Then the fan of the second card to full speed... and ther eit went...
> vmmmmmm.
>
> They both can make some hell of a noise... Well it's in the morning
> anyway.
>
> I can hear a nail drop on the street I guess :) though cars slowly started
> to drive by ;)
>
> During real-world gaming they probably don't spin that hard ? :)
>
> Anyway making them spin at full speed did drop the idle temperature from
> 53 degrees celcius to 48 degrees celcius during a minute of testing.
>
> So that's a 5 degree drop...
>
> I could also definetly notice more heat coming out of them at the back.
>
> Kinda worrieing to see a 52 to 54 idle temperature with slow fans... hmmm.
>
> Hmm not to happy with that... oh well..
>
> Probably not gonna buy such a heat chips in the future that's for sure ;)
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.
>

> "Skybuck Flying" > wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I noticed in the nvidia control panel the temperatures of the these two
>> graphics cards (sli) are 50 degrees celcius in idle mode !
>>
>> That's pretty high !
>>
>> Add to the fact that the gfx fans are probably spinning very slowly
>> because of idling,
>>
>> Add to the fact the output holes are very tiny,
>>
>> Add to the fact there is little spacing between them,
>>
>> Add to the fact the airflow in the case was not optimal,
>>
>> Add to the rumor the mb sensor is near the cards,
>>
>> and there you have my new theory:
>>
>> The GTX cards killed the motherboard ! Overheat ! ;)
>>
>> Some questions:
>>
>> 1. Is it possible to underclock these cards ?
>>
>> 2. Is it possible to make the fans spin a bit faster even in idle mode ?
>>
>> Bye,
>> Skybuck.

Roger (K8RI)
June 26th 07, 05:24 AM
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 07:44:52 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
> wrote:

<snip>
>Anyway making them spin at full speed did drop the idle temperature from 53
>degrees celcius to 48 degrees celcius during a minute of testing.
>
>So that's a 5 degree drop...
>
>I could also definetly notice more heat coming out of them at the back.
>
>Kinda worrieing to see a 52 to 54 idle temperature with slow fans... hmmm.

What's wrong with 50C. I'm used to seeing CPUs run tht and GPUs
normally run hotter from my experience. Some run much hotter.

<snip>

John Lewis
June 26th 07, 08:32 PM
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 04:30:16 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I noticed in the nvidia control panel the temperatures of the these two
>graphics cards (sli) are 50 degrees celcius in idle mode !
>
>That's pretty high

Really ? Is that so ? Why ?

With every posting you further expose yourself as a total
techno-illiterate..... Please get help from both your psychiatrist and
your original system-builder. Your psychiatrist will help alleviate
your cross-posting fetish and your system-builder might be willing to
use simple technical words that you can understand, particularly if
you pay him by the hour.

John Lewis

GMAN[_3_]
June 26th 07, 09:40 PM
In article >, "Roger (K8RI)" > wrote:
>On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 07:44:52 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
> wrote:
>
><snip>
>>Anyway making them spin at full speed did drop the idle temperature from 53
>>degrees celcius to 48 degrees celcius during a minute of testing.
>>
>>So that's a 5 degree drop...
>>
>>I could also definetly notice more heat coming out of them at the back.
>>
>>Kinda worrieing to see a 52 to 54 idle temperature with slow fans... hmmm.
>
>What's wrong with 50C. I'm used to seeing CPUs run tht and GPUs
>normally run hotter from my experience. Some run much hotter.
>
><snip>

My Core 2 Duo 6600 CPU hasnt even broken 30C while overclocked to 3.2 Ghz

Angry_American
June 27th 07, 05:37 AM
"GMAN" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Roger (K8RI)"
> > wrote:
>>On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 07:44:52 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
> wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>>>Anyway making them spin at full speed did drop the idle temperature from
>>>53
>>>degrees celcius to 48 degrees celcius during a minute of testing.
>>>
>>>So that's a 5 degree drop...
>>>
>>>I could also definetly notice more heat coming out of them at the back.
>>>
>>>Kinda worrieing to see a 52 to 54 idle temperature with slow fans...
>>>hmmm.
>>
>>What's wrong with 50C. I'm used to seeing CPUs run tht and GPUs
>>normally run hotter from my experience. Some run much hotter.
>>
>><snip>
>>

> My Core 2 Duo 6600 CPU hasnt even broken 30C while overclocked to 3.2 Ghz

That would be great information if they were talking about CPU temps.....

Dan

Phil Weldon
June 27th 07, 08:33 AM
And also if the temperature were not being estimated by the touch test B^

Phil Weldon

GMAN[_3_]
June 28th 07, 06:31 AM
In article >, "Angry_American" > wrote:
>"GMAN" > wrote in message
>> In article >, "Roger (K8RI)"
>> > wrote:
>>>On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 07:44:52 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
> wrote:
>>>
>>><snip>

>>>What's wrong with 50C. I'm used to seeing CPUs run tht and GPUs
>>>normally run hotter from my experience. Some run much hotter.
>>>
>>><snip>
>>>

>> My Core 2 Duo 6600 CPU hasnt even broken 30C while overclocked to 3.2 Ghz
>

>That would be great information if they were talking about CPU temps.....
>
>Dan

If you read the line right before my comment you will see that they started to
discuss CPU's