PDA

View Full Version : Correct way to update video drivers

Griff
June 19th 07, 11:19 PM
Hi,

I have some Flight Sim software which throws up an error after loading on my
new PC and will not run with an NVIDIA Geforce 7900GT card.

Have downloaded the what I think is the latest driver '94.24 Forceware' for
XP in the hope that it will cure my problem.

What is the correct procedure for un-installing old/re-installing new
drivers on XP Home please?

Worked fine on my old PC with an ATI card.

Thanks.

Griff.

ShutEye
June 19th 07, 11:25 PM
> What is the correct procedure for un-installing old/re-installing new
> drivers on XP Home please?

start => control panel => add or remove programs => remove nvida display
drivers

Restart

Install new drivers.

rms[_2_]
June 20th 07, 01:09 AM
There's also the 158.27 driver on guru3d.com. There is also a new DirectX
version out.

rms

rmd[_2_]
June 20th 07, 03:46 PM
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:19:08 +0100, "Griff" >
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have some Flight Sim software which throws up an error after loading on my
>new PC and will not run with an NVIDIA Geforce 7900GT card.
>
>Have downloaded the what I think is the latest driver '94.24 Forceware' for
>XP in the hope that it will cure my problem.
>
>What is the correct procedure for un-installing old/re-installing new
>drivers on XP Home please?

What I do is..

1. Uninstall drivers in add/remove
2. Reboot in safe mode and run driver cleaner pro (removes other
files not completely removed with the uninstall
3. Run driver cleaner pro cab files for all other drivers (ie. even if
you have nvidia, winxp still has some ati, soundmax, etc files that
you may never installed)
4. Reboot in normal mode
5. Install new driver and reboot