PDA

View Full Version : Case with good airflow for sli and passively cooled motherboard ?


Skybuck Flying
June 15th 07, 04:30 PM
Hello,

What cases are out there with good airflow for sli and passively cooled
motherboard ?

I have seen the stack cooler sli certified thing... but it looks mega
complicated and completely overdone... like 10+ fans or what ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Reggie Hillier
June 15th 07, 09:37 PM
Here is a great case if you don't mind spending a few $$$$:
I have one with 2 8800 GTX's .


http://www.coolerguys.com/840556060352.html



Skybuck Flying" > wrote in message
...
> Hello,
>
> What cases are out there with good airflow for sli and passively cooled
> motherboard ?
>
> I have seen the stack cooler sli certified thing... but it looks mega
> complicated and completely overdone... like 10+ fans or what ?
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.
>
>
>

June 16th 07, 05:32 AM
On Jun 15, 10:30 am, "Skybuck Flying" > wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What cases are out there with good airflow for sli and passively cooled
> motherboard ?
>
> I have seen the stack cooler sli certified thing... but it looks mega
> complicated and completely overdone... like 10+ fans or what ?
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011

Skybuck Flying
June 16th 07, 05:38 PM
"Same Guy" > wrote in message
...
> Sat, 16 Jun 2007 04:32:10 -0000: written by :
>
>>On Jun 15, 10:30 am, "Skybuck Flying" > wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> What cases are out there with good airflow for sli and passively cooled
>>> motherboard ?
>
>
>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011
>
> Thanks for the link. Have you used this? I was thinking water cooling
> for my CPU and like Skybuck mentioned, I also would like to know how to
> passively cool my video card in a silent or quiet manner.

Hi,

Water cooling probably pretty stupid, because only some chips are cooled and
not to other components, so you would still need a minimal airflow for that.

Also I don't get these cases with side fans.

I think they are pretty bad.

The specification of intel and amd cleary says airflow is supposed to go:

FROM THE FRONT OF THE CASE TO THE BACK OF THE CASE.

That way the airflow goes past the motherboard and components...

I don't see how side fans help with that.. except maybe suck away hot air
from cpu.

Try blowing past your fingers and then across your fingers...

You ll notice a difference.

Blowing past your fingers is what this case is doing...

Totally useless.

Bye,
Skybuck.

SoCalCommie
June 16th 07, 10:32 PM
So why not water cool the GPU and video memory also? Not to mention
northbridge / southbridge chipsets. Hell, you can buy a water cooled
power supply and be nearly silent with a single solution cooling
system.

SoCalCommie

"I'm tired off those comparisons between Hitler and George W. Bush!
Hitler was a highly decorated combat veteran who won office by
majority vote!" - Jon Stewart

"Same Guy" > wrote in message
...
> Sat, 16 Jun 2007 04:32:10 -0000: written by :
>
> >On Jun 15, 10:30 am, "Skybuck Flying" > wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> What cases are out there with good airflow for sli and passively
cooled
> >> motherboard ?
>
>
> >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011
>
> Thanks for the link. Have you used this? I was thinking water
cooling
> for my CPU and like Skybuck mentioned, I also would like to know how
to
> passively cool my video card in a silent or quiet manner.

Skybuck Flying
June 17th 07, 04:24 AM
What about all the little capacitors ;) and other thingies.. not to forgot
memory too ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

"SoCalCommie" > wrote in message
t...
> So why not water cool the GPU and video memory also? Not to mention
> northbridge / southbridge chipsets. Hell, you can buy a water cooled
> power supply and be nearly silent with a single solution cooling
> system.
>
> SoCalCommie
>
> "I'm tired off those comparisons between Hitler and George W. Bush!
> Hitler was a highly decorated combat veteran who won office by
> majority vote!" - Jon Stewart
>
> "Same Guy" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Sat, 16 Jun 2007 04:32:10 -0000: written by :
>>
>> >On Jun 15, 10:30 am, "Skybuck Flying" > wrote:
>> >> Hello,
>> >>
>> >> What cases are out there with good airflow for sli and passively
> cooled
>> >> motherboard ?
>>
>>
>> >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011
>>
>> Thanks for the link. Have you used this? I was thinking water
> cooling
>> for my CPU and like Skybuck mentioned, I also would like to know how
> to
>> passively cool my video card in a silent or quiet manner.
>
>

Lepak Nerat
June 18th 07, 08:38 PM
Skybuck Flying wrote:
> What about all the little capacitors ;) and other thingies.. not to forgot
> memory too ;)
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.
>
> "SoCalCommie" > wrote in message
> t...
>> So why not water cool the GPU and video memory also? Not to mention
>> northbridge / southbridge chipsets. Hell, you can buy a water cooled
>> power supply and be nearly silent with a single solution cooling
>> system.
>>
>> SoCalCommie
>>
>> "I'm tired off those comparisons between Hitler and George W. Bush!
>> Hitler was a highly decorated combat veteran who won office by
>> majority vote!" - Jon Stewart
>>
>> "Same Guy" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>> Sat, 16 Jun 2007 04:32:10 -0000: written by :
>>>
>>>> On Jun 15, 10:30 am, "Skybuck Flying" > wrote:
>>>>> Hello,
>>>>>
>>>>> What cases are out there with good airflow for sli and passively
>> cooled
>>>>> motherboard ?
>>>
>>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011
>>> Thanks for the link. Have you used this? I was thinking water
>> cooling
>>> for my CPU and like Skybuck mentioned, I also would like to know how
>> to
>>> passively cool my video card in a silent or quiet manner.
>>
>
>
A good site for components and cases is www.quietpc.com, supply all
sorts. i use a Silent MAXX case, very good, sound proof lined, space for
quite a few fans, but i use W/C with a Zalman 120mm (the one for cooling
the flower great to position in different places) fan cooling the
north/south bridge and RAM.

GMAN[_3_]
June 20th 07, 09:29 PM
In article . com>, wrote:
>On Jun 15, 10:30 am, "Skybuck Flying" > wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> What cases are out there with good airflow for sli and passively cooled
>> motherboard ?
>>
>> I have seen the stack cooler sli certified thing... but it looks mega
>> complicated and completely overdone... like 10+ fans or what ?
>>
>> Bye,
>> Skybuck.
>
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011
>
Instead of windtunnel, they should call that case "dustmagnet"

Roger (K8RI)
June 20th 07, 10:21 PM
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:29:37 GMT, (GMAN)
wrote:

>In article . com>, wrote:
>>On Jun 15, 10:30 am, "Skybuck Flying" > wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> What cases are out there with good airflow for sli and passively cooled
>>> motherboard ?
>>>
>>> I have seen the stack cooler sli certified thing... but it looks mega
>>> complicated and completely overdone... like 10+ fans or what ?
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Skybuck.
>>
>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011
>>
>Instead of windtunnel, they should call that case "dustmagnet"

"Carpet sweeper" is the operative term<:-))

I think I'd go for the Antec 180 or 182. I like the air flow better
although running the cables from the Power Supply to the top of the
motherboard can sometimes be a problem. It also has some good air
filters on the inlets and good air circulation around the drives.

For a full size case I like the ThermalTake 800 series although I
don't care for the top access to the USB, firewire, and audio. OTOH
it's big, roomy, good air flow, and it's HEAVY!

I have two of the ThermalTake 800 series with the 10" fan in the side
panel and a single Antec 180. My next one will probably be a 182.

Graybeard
June 30th 07, 03:00 AM
You want a big heavy case, check out the CoolerMaster Stacker RC 830. Mine
has four fans on the side (one of which is for the water cooler on the
processor), one fan on the top, one fan in front - blowing through the hard
drives, and one fan in back for the power supply. The computer weighs 60
pounds. However, the machine is surprisingly quiet, which may be due to the
ASUS mobo controlling the speed of the fans.
Before buying, check the size - it is big.
Good luck.
Graybeard



"Roger (K8RI)" > wrote in message
...
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:29:37 GMT, (GMAN)
> wrote:
>
>>In article . com>,
wrote:
>>>On Jun 15, 10:30 am, "Skybuck Flying" > wrote:
>>>> Hello,
>>>>
>>>> What cases are out there with good airflow for sli and passively cooled
>>>> motherboard ?
>>>>
>>>> I have seen the stack cooler sli certified thing... but it looks mega
>>>> complicated and completely overdone... like 10+ fans or what ?
>>>>
>>>> Bye,
>>>> Skybuck.
>>>
>>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011
>>>
>>Instead of windtunnel, they should call that case "dustmagnet"
>
> "Carpet sweeper" is the operative term<:-))
>
> I think I'd go for the Antec 180 or 182. I like the air flow better
> although running the cables from the Power Supply to the top of the
> motherboard can sometimes be a problem. It also has some good air
> filters on the inlets and good air circulation around the drives.
>
> For a full size case I like the ThermalTake 800 series although I
> don't care for the top access to the USB, firewire, and audio. OTOH
> it's big, roomy, good air flow, and it's HEAVY!
>
> I have two of the ThermalTake 800 series with the 10" fan in the side
> panel and a single Antec 180. My next one will probably be a 182.