PDA

View Full Version : memory

tony pac
June 15th 07, 12:35 PM
I have a dell with amd 64x2 5600 processor with 3 gb of memory 656 mhz,I
read somewhere that the 5600 processor would run 800 mmhz at full
speed,would there be a significant speed increase if I swithed over to 800
mhz memory.Thanks

Wes Newell
June 15th 07, 09:01 PM
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 06:35:32 -0500, tony pac wrote:

> I have a dell with amd 64x2 5600 processor with 3 gb of memory 656 mhz,I
> read somewhere that the 5600 processor would run 800 mmhz at full
> speed,would there be a significant speed increase if I swithed over to 800
> mhz memory.Thanks

There would be a memory bandwidth increase from about 5300MBps to 6400MBps
which would likely increase overall system performance by about 2%. To
really improve system performance one needs to determine where the
bottleneck is for the apllications they are running. For instance, I run
this machine mainly as a HD video server, sometimes writing as much as
30GB per hour to disk, while reading as much as 21GB per hour and deleting
large files sometimes over 20GB at the same time. The only thing that will
help that is a faster drive system. I accomplish that using raid0. Nothing
else would help at all or very very little. Now if you are running
something like video editing then more and/or faster memory is probably
your best bet. If you want better game performance, a newer video card
is the best solution. So where is your bottleneck?

Joe101[_2_]
July 4th 07, 10:52 PM
"Wes Newell" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 06:35:32 -0500, tony pac wrote:
>
>> I have a dell with amd 64x2 5600 processor with 3 gb of memory 656 mhz,I
>> read somewhere that the 5600 processor would run 800 mmhz at full
>> speed,would there be a significant speed increase if I swithed over to
>> 800
>> mhz memory.Thanks
>
> There would be a memory bandwidth increase from about 5300MBps to 6400MBps
> which would likely increase overall system performance by about 2%. To
> really improve system performance one needs to determine where the
> bottleneck is for the apllications they are running. For instance, I run
> this machine mainly as a HD video server, sometimes writing as much as
> 30GB per hour to disk, while reading as much as 21GB per hour and deleting
> large files sometimes over 20GB at the same time. The only thing that will
> help that is a faster drive system. I accomplish that using raid0. Nothing
> else would help at all or very very little. Now if you are running
> something like video editing then more and/or faster memory is probably
> your best bet. If you want better game performance, a newer video card
> is the best solution. So where is your bottleneck?
>
> --
> Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
> http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
> My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
> HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm

Can someone explain 64x2 processor and memory speed combinations. Is it
correct to assume any 64x2 processor speed will work with any memory speed
except at possibly reduced efficiency? What are the max processor speeds
what till run with each of the following DDR-800, DDR-667, and DDR -533?

Wes Newell
July 5th 07, 07:19 AM
On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 16:52:22 -0500, Joe101 wrote:

> Can someone explain 64x2 processor and memory speed combinations. Is it
> correct to assume any 64x2 processor speed will work with any memory speed
> except at possibly reduced efficiency? What are the max processor speeds
> what till run with each of the following DDR-800, DDR-667, and DDR -533?

Right now I think the fastest speed you can get is the X2 6000. Runs at
3.0 GHz iirc. Oh, any of that ram will work assuming you meant DDR2-xxx.