PDA

View Full Version : Questions on AMD Athlon 64 X2 3200+ 939 CPU temperature limits...

Ant
June 14th 07, 11:11 AM
Hello,

What are the warning and peak temperatures for retail AMD Athlon 64 X2
3200+ 939 CPUs with their regular stock fans? According to
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/30430.pdf
.... 140 F degrees is the warning start and 158 degrees(F)/70 degrees(C)
is the danger peak. Am I reading the data specifications correctly? This
is assuming not overclocking either, but do have stress moments like
when playing intensive games.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"What, like I had to live with all those ants? Do you know what I did to
those ants? HoooHooo! No more ants!" --unknown
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address:
( ) or

Peter van der Goes[_2_]
June 14th 07, 03:59 PM
"Ant" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> What are the warning and peak temperatures for retail AMD Athlon 64 X2
> 3200+ 939 CPUs with their regular stock fans? According to
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/30430.pdf
> ... 140 F degrees is the warning start and 158 degrees(F)/70 degrees(C) is
> the danger peak. Am I reading the data specifications correctly? This is
> assuming not overclocking either, but do have stress moments like when
> playing intensive games.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)
> --
X2 3200? Are you sure you don't mean X2 3800?
Regardless, the maximum safe temperature has nothing to do with
overclocking. Max is max.
I have an X2 3800 running at 2.4 GHz here with the stock HSF. It runs in the
range 38 - 52C (never over 52C, even in stress tests).
I'd say, make sure it never exceeds 60C. You should be able to stay under 60
with the stock HSF unless you have serious heat/airflow problems in your
case.

Ant
June 14th 07, 04:27 PM
On 6/14/2007 7:59 AM PT, Peter van der Goes wrote:

>> What are the warning and peak temperatures for retail AMD Athlon 64 X2
>> 3200+ 939 CPUs with their regular stock fans? According to
>> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/30430.pdf
>> ... 140 F degrees is the warning start and 158 degrees(F)/70
>> degrees(C) is the danger peak. Am I reading the data specifications
>> correctly? This is assuming not overclocking either, but do have
>> stress moments like when playing intensive games.
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
>> --
> X2 3200? Are you sure you don't mean X2 3800?
> Regardless, the maximum safe temperature has nothing to do with
> overclocking. Max is max.
> I have an X2 3800 running at 2.4 GHz here with the stock HSF. It runs in
> the range 38 - 52C (never over 52C, even in stress tests).
> I'd say, make sure it never exceeds 60C. You should be able to stay
> under 60 with the stock HSF unless you have serious heat/airflow
> problems in your case.

Sorry, I meant 4600+. I got confused with the other computer's speed and
it was 3 AM in the morning. =)
--
"The ants are back Ted!" --Dougal from Father Ted TV show.
/\___/\
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address:
( ) or

Ant
June 14th 07, 04:28 PM
OOPS! I meant to say 4600+. That is what I get for posting at 3 AM! [grin]

--
"Individually, ants are stupid. Together, they're brilliant." --unknown
/\___/\
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address:
( ) or

SpamBox[_2_]
June 15th 07, 07:59 AM
"Ant" > wrote in message
> OOPS! I meant to say 4600+. That is what I get for posting at 3 AM! [grin]
>

> On 6/14/2007 3:11 AM PT, Ant wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> What are the warning and peak temperatures for retail AMD Athlon 64 X2
>> 4600+ 939 CPUs with their regular stock fans? According to
>> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/30430.pdf
>> ... 140 F degrees is the warning start and 158 degrees(F)/70 degrees(C)
>> is the danger peak. Am I reading the data specifications correctly? This
>> is assuming not overclocking either, but do have stress moments like when
>> playing intensive games.
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> "Individually, ants are stupid. Together, they're brilliant." --unknown
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
> | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
> \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address:
> ( ) or
> Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.

Try installing speedfan http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php which will
display temperatures for your processor etc. Start it running using the
graph page (which gives you temp vs time) and then start your games running
or run a stress test like Prime95 http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm which
will serously thrash your PC. You can monitor the temps and see what your
max temperature actually is - I imagine it will be way, way below 70c. If it
isn't, you may want to think about reseating your HSF or adding case fans to
help with air circulation.

Glennbo

Ant
June 15th 07, 03:47 PM
>>> What are the warning and peak temperatures for retail AMD Athlon 64 X2
>>> 4600+ 939 CPUs with their regular stock fans? According to
>>> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/30430.pdf
>>> ... 140 F degrees is the warning start and 158 degrees(F)/70 degrees(C)
>>> is the danger peak. Am I reading the data specifications correctly? This
>>> is assuming not overclocking either, but do have stress moments like when
>>> playing intensive games.

>> OOPS! I meant to say 4600+. That is what I get for posting at 3 AM! [grin]

> Try installing speedfan http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php which will
> display temperatures for your processor etc. Start it running using the
> graph page (which gives you temp vs time) and then start your games running
> or run a stress test like Prime95 http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm which
> will serously thrash your PC. You can monitor the temps and see what your
> max temperature actually is - I imagine it will be way, way below 70c. If it
> isn't, you may want to think about reseating your HSF or adding case fans to
> help with air circulation.

I am using the latest MSI CoreCenter. I have seen it go up to 148
degrees(F)/64.4 degrees(C) [when CPU fan is not spinning or spinning
very low -- this is normal I believe since this is automatically
controlled] and then usually the stock CPU fan kicks in to cool it down
(can go up to 6K RPM) down to 120ish degrees(F). I am trying to
customize my CMOS (spin at to only spin up but not at 6K all the time.
6K is very LOUD and noisy. I am OK if it is like 3K, but over 4K is a
bit noisy. I was wondering if hitting 150 degrees(F)/66 degrees(C) is a
bit too close/much and yet my machine has been stable so far. I just
don't like the fan spinning at the maximum to be loud.

My hardware setup can be found here:
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary
machine). FYI, system case fan is always spinning almost 6K RPM (not
loud/noisy at all), video card is set to spin all the time, moptherboard
sensors usually show mid 90s or low 100s degrees(F). My small room can
be hot as 85 degrees(F)/29.4 degrees(C).
--
"When I was five years old, I saw an insect that had been eaten by ants
and of which nothing remained except the shell. Through the holes in its
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address:
( ) or

Ant
June 20th 07, 02:01 AM
Ant > wrote:

> >> OOPS! I meant to say 4600+. That is what I get for posting at 3 AM! [grin]

> > Try installing speedfan http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php which will
> > display temperatures for your processor etc. Start it running using the
> > graph page (which gives you temp vs time) and then start your games running
> > or run a stress test like Prime95 http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm which
> > will serously thrash your PC. You can monitor the temps and see what your
> > max temperature actually is - I imagine it will be way, way below 70c. If it
> > isn't, you may want to think about reseating your HSF or adding case fans to
> > help with air circulation.

> I am using the latest MSI CoreCenter. I have seen it go up to 148
> degrees(F)/64.4 degrees(C) [when CPU fan is not spinning or spinning
> very low -- this is normal I believe since this is automatically
> controlled] and then usually the stock CPU fan kicks in to cool it down
> (can go up to 6K RPM) down to 120ish degrees(F). I am trying to
> customize my CMOS (spin at to only spin up but not at 6K all the time.
> 6K is very LOUD and noisy. I am OK if it is like 3K, but over 4K is a
> bit noisy. I was wondering if hitting 150 degrees(F)/66 degrees(C) is a
> bit too close/much and yet my machine has been stable so far. I just
> don't like the fan spinning at the maximum to be loud.

> My hardware setup can be found here:
> http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary
> machine). FYI, system case fan is always spinning almost 6K RPM (not
> loud/noisy at all), video card is set to spin all the time, moptherboard
> sensors usually show mid 90s or low 100s degrees(F). My small room can
> be hot as 85 degrees(F)/29.4 degrees(C).

So far I have seen the CPU temperature go above 150 (F)/65.555...(C)
degrees before the fan kicks in down to 120ish(F)/49(C) degrees. And
that was when I was playing C&C3 game last Sunday evening.

The weather hasn't reached over 100(F) degrees yet to make my room even
hotter. I have had no crashes, blue screens, and anything odd so far. I
wished this CPU fan was quieter at high speed.
--
"It is not enough to be industrious; so are the ants. What are you
industrious about?" --Henry David Thoreau
( )