PDA

View Full Version : DVD + Games

Chris[_6_]
June 8th 07, 09:34 AM
Hey guys,

What I would quite like to do is play a game (like starcraft, something
that changes resolution) on my primary screen while watching a DVD on
the other. I have a 7800GS. With some games it is possible (like
TitanQuest) or games that can be run in windowed mode.
Is the a way to make it work for any game (or other fullscreen
applications)? I am using UltraMon btw.
If it is not possible with the graphics card is there another hardware
configuration that makes it possible? I dont want to put another PC up
just so my gf can watch films while I play.

Thanks in advance for your ideas

Chris

Benjamin Gawert
June 8th 07, 10:14 AM
* Chris:

> What I would quite like to do is play a game (like starcraft, something
> that changes resolution) on my primary screen while watching a DVD on
> the other. I have a 7800GS. With some games it is possible (like
> TitanQuest) or games that can be run in windowed mode.
> Is the a way to make it work for any game (or other fullscreen
> applications)?

Sure, just configure your DVD player program to use the secondary screen
while games automatically use the primary display.

> If it is not possible with the graphics card is there another hardware
> configuration that makes it possible? I dont want to put another PC up
> just so my gf can watch films while I play.

With standalone DVD players sold for a few bucks today I doubt that
putting up another PC (or changing your current hardware setup) makes
much sense.

Benjamin

Chris[_6_]
June 8th 07, 10:45 AM
Thanks for your reply.

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

> Sure, just configure your DVD player program to use the secondary screen
> while games automatically use the primary display.

I have done that, but usually when the games change the screen
resolution, the secondary screen's resolution changes as well. For some
games though, even when the main screens resolution changes, the
secondary doesnt, so I guess it might be a DirectX thing.

> With standalone DVD players sold for a few bucks today I doubt that
> putting up another PC (or changing your current hardware setup) makes
> much sense.

New TV (since I dont own one) would be more expensive than going down
the cellar and reassembling a 800mhz machine, but its noisy and warm and
power-consuming.

Chris