PDA

View Full Version : Windows Taskbar Tip.


Skybuck
June 7th 07, 05:25 PM
Hello,

After 1 year and 3 months of using a widescreen... I got used to
having a HUGE wide taskbar with lots and lots and lots of applications
open.

And maybe Windows XP 64 Pro is smarter at display the little titles in
the taskbar...

Or maybe I choose grouping or something.

Now I can't stand the old windows xp pro 32 bit taskbar anymore....

When I have like 10 or 20 windows open... it's hard to navigate the
taskbar... kinda like a design mistake.

And here is how to fix it A BIG TIP:

Unlock the taskbar.

Place the taskbar vertically.

Make it autohide.

And make it wider.

Now all window titles are bigger and cleary readible... which makes it
much more pleasantly and faster to navigate... otherwise I had to
click on each ****ing little icon in the taskbar to find the correct
window...

Now I can just see much, much more !

Actually my mum's pc had something like that :)

Maybe my mum actually dragged it away or something I don't know but
it's definetly more handy to have the taskbar vertically !

Especially on small monitors !!!

So I say: BIG DESIGN MISTAKE FROM MICROSOFT by placing it
horizontally ;)

It does take getting used to though.

And now the little icons like networking or so can't be seen... so
that's a little compromise... maybe a little box that would remain on
screen just for those little icons could be handy...

Also it would be much more handy... if the "windows" button the
keyboard did not automatically go to the start button.. but simple
display the taskbar ;) because now it expands the start group etc.. I
don't want that.

I just want to use the window button to display the taskbar.

(Also choose taskbar always on top, just to make sure it's over all
other windows when it expands) ;)

I am definetly switching much more accurately and faster between
windows now.

I like it !

Bye,
Skybuck.

John
June 7th 07, 07:05 PM
READ ERROR

IGNOR or RETRY? I

Slap
June 7th 07, 07:48 PM
You might like the alt-tab replacement powertoy from MS... You just click
your center mouse button and a bunch of mini windows open up of the running
programs on the task bar. Select one and you are there. Go here for the
link...
http://bhandler.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!70F64BC910C9F7F3!1708.entry


"Skybuck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello,
>
> After 1 year and 3 months of using a widescreen... I got used to
> having a HUGE wide taskbar with lots and lots and lots of applications
> open.
>
> And maybe Windows XP 64 Pro is smarter at display the little titles in
> the taskbar...
>
> Or maybe I choose grouping or something.
>
> Now I can't stand the old windows xp pro 32 bit taskbar anymore....
>
> When I have like 10 or 20 windows open... it's hard to navigate the
> taskbar... kinda like a design mistake.
>
> And here is how to fix it A BIG TIP:
>
> Unlock the taskbar.
>
> Place the taskbar vertically.
>
> Make it autohide.
>
> And make it wider.
>
> Now all window titles are bigger and cleary readible... which makes it
> much more pleasantly and faster to navigate... otherwise I had to
> click on each ****ing little icon in the taskbar to find the correct
> window...
>
> Now I can just see much, much more !
>
> Actually my mum's pc had something like that :)
>
> Maybe my mum actually dragged it away or something I don't know but
> it's definetly more handy to have the taskbar vertically !
>
> Especially on small monitors !!!
>
> So I say: BIG DESIGN MISTAKE FROM MICROSOFT by placing it
> horizontally ;)
>
> It does take getting used to though.
>
> And now the little icons like networking or so can't be seen... so
> that's a little compromise... maybe a little box that would remain on
> screen just for those little icons could be handy...
>
> Also it would be much more handy... if the "windows" button the
> keyboard did not automatically go to the start button.. but simple
> display the taskbar ;) because now it expands the start group etc.. I
> don't want that.
>
> I just want to use the window button to display the taskbar.
>
> (Also choose taskbar always on top, just to make sure it's over all
> other windows when it expands) ;)
>
> I am definetly switching much more accurately and faster between
> windows now.
>
> I like it !
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.
>

martin
June 7th 07, 09:05 PM
On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 13:12:11 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
> wrote:

>Skybuck wrote:
>>
>[snip]
>>
>> Actually my mum's pc had something like that :)
>
>You came up out of the basement long enough to actually see this?


it was probaby a full moon


martin

Paul Hovnanian P.E.
June 7th 07, 09:12 PM
Skybuck wrote:
>
[snip]
>
> Actually my mum's pc had something like that :)

You came up out of the basement long enough to actually see this?

--
Paul Hovnanian
------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?
A: To prevent the sensible ones from going home.

Michael A. Terrell
June 7th 07, 10:05 PM
martin wrote:
>
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 13:12:11 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
> > wrote:
>
> >Skybuck wrote:
> >>
> >[snip]
> >>
> >> Actually my mum's pc had something like that :)
> >
> >You came up out of the basement long enough to actually see this?
>
> it was probaby a full moon
>
> martin


I vote for, "The basement was flooded"


--
Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Folk
June 7th 07, 10:27 PM
On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 13:12:11 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
> wrote:

>Skybuck wrote:
>>
>[snip]
>>
>> Actually my mum's pc had something like that :)
>
>You came up out of the basement long enough to actually see this?

The more people that kill-filter this blathering idiot, the less of
it's drivel I have to read from people replying to it.

Capice?

martin
June 7th 07, 10:44 PM
On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 21:05:32 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
> wrote:

>martin wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 13:12:11 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Skybuck wrote:
>> >>
>> >[snip]
>> >>
>> >> Actually my mum's pc had something like that :)
>> >
>> >You came up out of the basement long enough to actually see this?
>>
>> it was probaby a full moon
>>
>> martin
>
>
> I vote for, "The basement was flooded"

With what, dead motherboards?

Michael A. Terrell
June 7th 07, 11:17 PM
martin wrote:
>
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 21:05:32 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
> > wrote:
>
> >martin wrote:
> >>
> >> On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 13:12:11 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
> >> > wrote:
> >>
> >> >Skybuck wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >[snip]
> >> >>
> >> >> Actually my mum's pc had something like that :)
> >> >
> >> >You came up out of the basement long enough to actually see this?
> >>
> >> it was probaby a full moon
> >>
> >> martin
> >
> >
> > I vote for, "The basement was flooded"
>
> With what, dead motherboards?


Drool, when he's doing online shopping.


--
Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Richard[_4_]
June 8th 07, 03:49 AM
"John" > wrote in message
...
> READ ERROR
>
> IGNOR or RETRY? I

ABORT.

;)

Frank McCoy
June 8th 07, 05:21 AM
In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>"John" > wrote in message
...
>> READ ERROR
>>
>> IGNOR or RETRY? I
>
>ABORT.
>
>;)
>
BSD!

--
_____
/ ' / ™
,-/-, __ __. ____ /_
(_/ / (_(_/|_/ / <_/ <_

Grant[_2_]
June 8th 07, 05:49 AM
Format C:

"Frank McCoy" > wrote in message
...
> In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>
>>"John" > wrote in message
...
>>> READ ERROR
>>>
>>> IGNOR or RETRY? I
>>
>>ABORT.
>>
>>;)
>>
> BSD!
>
> --
> _____
> / ' / T
> ,-/-, __ __. ____ /_
> (_/ / (_(_/|_/ / <_/ <_

Frank McCoy
June 8th 07, 06:04 AM
In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt "Grant"
> wrote:

>Format C:
>
FDISK

>"Frank McCoy" > wrote in message
...
>> In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>"John" > wrote in message
...
>>>> READ ERROR
>>>>
>>>> IGNOR or RETRY? I
>>>
>>>ABORT.
>>>
>>>;)
>>>
>> BSD!
>>

--
_____
/ ' / ™
,-/-, __ __. ____ /_
(_/ / (_(_/|_/ / <_/ <_

John Doe
June 8th 07, 06:09 AM
Skybuck > wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After 1 year and 3 months of using a widescreen... I got used to
> having a HUGE wide taskbar with lots and lots and lots of
> applications open.
>
> And maybe Windows XP 64 Pro is smarter at display the little titles
> in the taskbar...
>
> Or maybe I choose grouping or something.
>
> Now I can't stand the old windows xp pro 32 bit taskbar anymore....
>
> When I have like 10 or 20 windows open... it's hard to navigate the
> taskbar... kinda like a design mistake.
>
> And here is how to fix it

Using speech recognition, whenever I don't want to mess with the
taskbar, I just say "switch" and it switches me back to the prior
application. I have names for my common applications too. For example,
if I want to switch to my scratchpad, I just say "scribble". Verbal
commands are a neat way to get around messing with the taskbar.









> Bye,
> Skybuck.
>

Benjamin Gawert
June 8th 07, 08:28 AM
* Folk:

> The more people that kill-filter this blathering idiot, the less of
> it's drivel I have to read from people replying to it.

It would help if those that think to answer Sky****'s questions would
limit their answers to the appropriate groups. But it seems that Sky
**** isn't the only moron...

Benjamin

Noel
June 8th 07, 09:16 AM
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 09:28:47 +0200, Benjamin Gawert wrote:

> * Folk:
>
>> The more people that kill-filter this blathering idiot, the less of
>> it's drivel I have to read from people replying to it.
>
> It would help if those that think to answer Sky****'s questions would
> limit their answers to the appropriate groups. But it seems that Sky
> **** isn't the only moron...

Finally, 2 people with common sense...

--
Noel
<http://www.gentoo.org/>
<http://www.opera.com/>

Ty
June 8th 07, 12:46 PM
Skybuck wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After 1 year and 3 months of using a widescreen... I got used to
> having a HUGE wide taskbar with lots and lots and lots of applications
> open.
>
> And maybe Windows XP 64 Pro is smarter at display the little titles in
> the taskbar...
>
> Or maybe I choose grouping or something.
>
> Now I can't stand the old windows xp pro 32 bit taskbar anymore....
>
> When I have like 10 or 20 windows open... it's hard to navigate the
> taskbar... kinda like a design mistake.
>
> And here is how to fix it A BIG TIP:
>
> Unlock the taskbar.
>
> Place the taskbar vertically.
>
> Make it autohide.
>
> And make it wider.

Why not make another one across your preferred screen edge? R-click
desktop->New->Folder, drag that newly created folder to any desktop
edge, drop it, r-click on newly made taskbar to set autohide. Embed a
couple more inside the first one.

that AK will get you creative every time.

Skybuck
June 8th 07, 01:30 PM
A folder is not a taskbar ?

I want to see the active applications...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck
June 8th 07, 01:32 PM
Short version:

1. Vertical taskbar.

2. Make it wider to be able to read the application's title better.

3. Auto hide it.

4. Make sure it's always on top.

Makes it easier to find an active application.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Rich Grise
June 8th 07, 07:02 PM
On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 21:49:47 -0700, Grant wrote:
> "Frank McCoy" > wrote in message
>> In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>"John" > wrote in message
...
>>>> READ ERROR
>>>>
>>>> IGNOR or RETRY? I
>>>
>>>ABORT.
>>>
>>>;)
>>>
>> BSD!
>>
[top-post repaired]

> Format C:
>

su -
rm -Rv /*

Cheers!
Rich

Ty
June 8th 07, 11:16 PM
Skybuck wrote:
> A folder is not a taskbar ?
>
> I want to see the active applications...
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.
>

Ok, create one with delphi.

Ty

Skybuck
June 8th 07, 11:51 PM
On Jun 9, 12:16 am, Ty > wrote:
> Skybuck wrote:
> > A folder is not a taskbar ?
>
> > I want to see the active applications...
>
> > Bye,
> > Skybuck.
>
> Ok, create one with delphi.
>
> Ty

Lol, there is no need too.

One vertical taskbar is more than enough ;)

However a better internet explorer would be handy...

Back button and forward button more to the middle.

And close button more to the middle ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.