PDA

View Full Version : SST replacement chip for Winbond chip (Bios for A8N32-SLI)


Skybuck
June 6th 07, 05:32 PM
Hello,

My Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard came with a Winbond W39V080APZ BIOS
CHIP.

I think this SST chip could replace it:

http://www.sst.com/products.xhtml/parallel_flash/39/x16/SST39LF200A

Not 100% sure though.

Bye,
Skybuck.

randy
June 6th 07, 05:41 PM
On Jun 6, 12:32 pm, Skybuck > wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard came with a Winbond W39V080APZ BIOS
> CHIP.
>
> I think this SST chip could replace it:
>
> http://www.sst.com/products.xhtml/parallel_flash/39/x16/SST39LF200A
>
> Not 100% sure though.
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

That might be the chip, but you would still need it programed with
the right Bios.

Randy

Skybuck
June 6th 07, 06:04 PM
I found a picture on AMD zone:

http://www.amdzone.com/pics/motherboards/asus/a8n32-sli%20deluxe/A8N32-SLI-2D-L.jpg

It seems more like that the chip used in the picture is one of these:

http://www.sst.com/products.xhtml/serial_flash/49/

That does not mean that the other could not be compatible ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck
June 6th 07, 06:09 PM
I also found a picture of another motherboard:

http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=80902&page=2

It has the following bios chip:

http://www.sst.com/products.xhtml/serial_flash/49/SST49LF080A

Analysis of the AMD zone picture suggests a match ;)

So this chip is probably compatible ;)

Going to investigate the PDF document ;)

Kinda funny how the site mentions internet appliances etc.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck
June 6th 07, 06:14 PM
What do they mean with:

Lead and Lead-free.

Do they mean the metal ?

Is their a health risk during normal operation... like lead particles
in the air or so ?

Or is this only of concern during a fire/meltdown ?

Or is it only of concern when throwing it in the waste basket ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Frank McCoy
June 6th 07, 08:45 PM
In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt Skybuck >
wrote:

>What do they mean with:
>
>Lead and Lead-free.
>
>Do they mean the metal ?

Yes. Mostly in solder.
At one time *all* solders were lead/tin based; with 60/40 lead-tin
eutectic solder being the commonest for all electronics.

>
>Is their a health risk during normal operation... like lead particles
>in the air or so ?
>
Not *particles* per-se; but lead fumes. Small, actually, as the lead
doesn't vaporize much at barely liquid temperatures; but not nonexistent
either. The fumes *do* solidify into minute particles though; which are
easily breathed.

>Or is this only of concern during a fire/meltdown ?
>
Mostly during:
A. Production.
B. Scrapping.
C. Yes, fire/meltdown.

Production these days have mostly switched almost completely to non
tin/lead solders. Scrapping old electronics though is a problem when
they end up in landfills where the lead can leach out over time.

>Or is it only of concern when throwing it in the waste basket ?
>
For the *consumer* mainly the last.
That's just one reason of many that they're beginning to outlaw throwing
electronics devices of any size in the trash. Cadmium and other toxic
metals are now becoming of even more concern than lead these days;
because many/most companies *are* removing lead based solders from their
manufacturing methods.

Another plus for recycling is the *reclaiming* of many valuable metals
such as copper and gold (and yes, lead and cadmium too). Electrolysis
works wonders there.

One thing *hard* to reclaim is the lead in CRT glass, used as a barrier
for the soft radiation emitted. However, luckily, such thick glass
envelopes are declining rapidly in popularity in favor of flat-panel
displays for both TV and computer monitors, that just don't NEED such
thick leaded-glass envelopes any more.

--
_____
/ ' / ™
,-/-, __ __. ____ /_
(_/ / (_(_/|_/ / <_/ <_

Chris Jones[_2_]
June 6th 07, 11:08 PM
Frank McCoy wrote:

> In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt Skybuck >
> wrote:
>
>>What do they mean with:
>>
>>Lead and Lead-free.
>>
>>Do they mean the metal ?
>
> Yes. Mostly in solder.
> At one time *all* solders were lead/tin based; with 60/40 lead-tin
> eutectic solder being the commonest for all electronics.
>
>>
>>Is their a health risk during normal operation... like lead particles
>>in the air or so ?
>>
> Not *particles* per-se; but lead fumes. Small, actually, as the lead
> doesn't vaporize much at barely liquid temperatures; but not nonexistent
> either. The fumes *do* solidify into minute particles though; which are
> easily breathed.

I have read many times that below 500 degrees C, the vapour presure of lead
is not high enough to be a hazard. I have not heard any claims that the
fumes from soldering contain hazardous amounts of lead. What IS
potentially hazardous is the fumes from the burning flux that accompanies
soldering. The flux for lead-free soldering supposedly results in more
dangerous fumes because it is a more active flux and the temperature is
higher, but then you weren't supposed to breathe it anyway....

>
>>Or is this only of concern during a fire/meltdown ?
>>
> Mostly during:
> A. Production.
> B. Scrapping.
> C. Yes, fire/meltdown.
>
> Production these days have mostly switched almost completely to non
> tin/lead solders. Scrapping old electronics though is a problem when
> they end up in landfills where the lead can leach out over time.

This is the supposed reason for RoHS, which implies that they do not believe
that they will succeed in collecting the waste under the other expensive
scheme that they have introduced (WEEE), or alternatively, they might be
wanting to redefine "burning circuit boards" as "recycling", or perhaps
they recycle them as a "means of filling unwanted holes in the ground".
I'm not sure which it is.

>
>>Or is it only of concern when throwing it in the waste basket ?
>>
> For the *consumer* mainly the last.
> That's just one reason of many that they're beginning to outlaw throwing
> electronics devices of any size in the trash. Cadmium and other toxic
> metals are now becoming of even more concern than lead these days;
> because many/most companies *are* removing lead based solders from their
> manufacturing methods.
>
> Another plus for recycling is the *reclaiming* of many valuable metals
> such as copper and gold (and yes, lead and cadmium too). Electrolysis
> works wonders there.
>
> One thing *hard* to reclaim is the lead in CRT glass, used as a barrier
> for the soft radiation emitted. However, luckily, such thick glass
> envelopes are declining rapidly in popularity in favor of flat-panel
> displays for both TV and computer monitors, that just don't NEED such
> thick leaded-glass envelopes any more.
>

But they still allow you to put hundreds of kilograms of lead on the roof of
your house, in direct contact with rainwater! Somehow it makes the lead on
a non-compliant 0402 component seem insignificant.

Chris

Phil Weldon
June 6th 07, 11:47 PM
'Skybuck' wrote, in part:
| My Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard came with a Winbond W39V080APZ BIOS
| CHIP.
|
| I think this SST chip could replace it:
_____

Since the SST chip is a package with either 48 pins or 48 BGA contacts, it
is not physically compatible with the Winbond chip. Since the chip contains
at most 1 MByte flash memory, it contains only a PART of the BIOS; just the
part that can be flashed updated. Try
http://www.biosman.com/bios-replacement.htm .

You can purchase a replacement chip programmed with your choice of BIOS
version, a blank replacement chip, or have your current BIOS chip
reprogrammed if you have committed a bad flash.

Phil Weldon

"Skybuck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
| Hello,
|
| My Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard came with a Winbond W39V080APZ BIOS
| CHIP.
|
| I think this SST chip could replace it:
|
| http://www.sst.com/products.xhtml/parallel_flash/39/x16/SST39LF200A
|
| Not 100% sure though.
|
| Bye,
| Skybuck.
|

Skybuck
June 7th 07, 05:40 PM
Hello,

My website updated with some further information and pictures
"proving" this is a possible replacement chip:

Long link:

http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/DreamPC2006/Disection3june2007/BiosReplacementChip.htm

Short link:

http://members.home.nl/hbthouppermans/DreamPC2006/

Bye,
Skybuck.