PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade 7800GS 256M to 7950GT 512M - worth it?

Charlie[_2_]
June 4th 07, 07:07 AM
I have an older agp only machine with AMD 2600+ / 2G ram /266FSB /500W
supply

I need more graphics processing for FSX. Would this 7800GS / 256M -to-7950gt
/512M
give me any noticeable improvement?

TIA
Charlie

Mr.E Solved!
June 4th 07, 03:13 PM
Charlie wrote:
> I have an older agp only machine with AMD 2600+ / 2G ram /266FSB /500W
> supply
>
> I need more graphics processing for FSX. Would this 7800GS / 256M
> -to-7950gt /512M
> give me any noticeable improvement?
>
> TIA
> Charlie

FSX's performance scales better with CPU improvement rather than GPU
improvement. That said, the GPU improvement you mention may allow for a
higher level of FSAA and ANISO filtering in FSX in your current
configuration at the same FPS you currently enjoy. It may not.

Augustus
June 4th 07, 07:02 PM
"Charlie" > wrote in message
>I have an older agp only machine with AMD 2600+ / 2G ram /266FSB /500W
>supply
>
> I need more graphics processing for FSX. Would this 7800GS /
> 256M -to-7950gt /512M
> give me any noticeable improvement?

Like the other poster said, your bigger problem is the 1.9Ghz AMD 2600+
processor. You'll see a small gain, but the money would be better spent on a
major CPU/mainboard, PCI-e and RAM upgrade. Unfortunately, it costs more but
is FSX is your primary entertainment it's the way to go.