PDA

View Full Version : W2K recognition of Ath 64 3800X2

Cessna 310
May 26th 07, 05:36 PM
My daughter's computer uses an ASUS A8V motherboard and W2K SP4. It was
using a Venice 3000, but this morhing I finally got around to installing
the 3800X2. The motherboard detected the new CPU OK. The O/S didn't
seem to notice any difference. Everything is working. System
Properties reports a Dual Core running at 2mhz. But the task manager
only shows one CPU Usage window.

Is the system utilizing the dual core processor or does it still only
think there's one there?

Is there anything I can do short of reloading O/S that will help?

TIA.

General Schvantzkoph
May 26th 07, 06:24 PM
On Sat, 26 May 2007 11:36:41 -0500, Cessna 310 wrote:

> My daughter's computer uses an ASUS A8V motherboard and W2K SP4. It was
> using a Venice 3000, but this morhing I finally got around to installing
> the 3800X2. The motherboard detected the new CPU OK. The O/S didn't
> seem to notice any difference. Everything is working. System
> Properties reports a Dual Core running at 2mhz. But the task manager
> only shows one CPU Usage window.
>
> Is the system utilizing the dual core processor or does it still only
> think there's one there?
>
> Is there anything I can do short of reloading O/S that will help?
>
> TIA.

I'm pretty sure that you'll have to reinstall the OS. You need a
multiprocessor kernel to use both cores, the kernel that you have now
only supports one processor. There doesn't seem to be a simple way to
upgrade a kernel on Win2K. The Win2K installer will install the
multiprocessor kernel if you do a fresh install but it doesn't have any
option for upgrading the existing kernel.

Cessna 310
May 26th 07, 06:33 PM
General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> On Sat, 26 May 2007 11:36:41 -0500, Cessna 310 wrote:
>
>> My daughter's computer uses an ASUS A8V motherboard and W2K SP4. It was
>> using a Venice 3000, but this morhing I finally got around to installing
>> the 3800X2. The motherboard detected the new CPU OK. The O/S didn't
>> seem to notice any difference. Everything is working. System
>> Properties reports a Dual Core running at 2mhz. But the task manager
>> only shows one CPU Usage window.
>>
>> Is the system utilizing the dual core processor or does it still only
>> think there's one there?
>>
>> Is there anything I can do short of reloading O/S that will help?
>>
>> TIA.
>
> I'm pretty sure that you'll have to reinstall the OS. You need a
> multiprocessor kernel to use both cores, the kernel that you have now
> only supports one processor. There doesn't seem to be a simple way to
> upgrade a kernel on Win2K. The Win2K installer will install the
> multiprocessor kernel if you do a fresh install but it doesn't have any
> option for upgrading the existing kernel.

That's what I was afraid of. My daughter downloaded an upgrade of M$
Office from Office 2K to Office 2003. Since its a download, I'm worried
that she'll lose what she bought on a reload.

Any ideas?

Wes Newell
May 26th 07, 09:08 PM
On Sat, 26 May 2007 12:33:23 -0500, Cessna 310 wrote:

> That's what I was afraid of. My daughter downloaded an upgrade of M$
> Office from Office 2K to Office 2003. Since its a download, I'm worried
> that she'll lose what she bought on a reload.
>
> Any ideas?

Since it was a download, why not save the downloaded file to cd/dvd before
you reinstall? OTOH, there are plenty of free Liniux OS's and Open Office.

Cessna 310
May 26th 07, 09:25 PM
Wes Newell wrote:
> On Sat, 26 May 2007 12:33:23 -0500, Cessna 310 wrote:
>
>> That's what I was afraid of. My daughter downloaded an upgrade of M$
>> Office from Office 2K to Office 2003. Since its a download, I'm worried
>> that she'll lose what she bought on a reload.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Since it was a download, why not save the downloaded file to cd/dvd before
> you reinstall? OTOH, there are plenty of free Liniux OS's and Open Office.

Thanks, Wes. I'll try to find the files.

Yeah, I run Fedora6 on one of my machines. But I'm not going to argue
the point with her. Since she graduated from college, I'm here to help,
not direct.

General Schvantzkoph
May 27th 07, 12:14 AM
On Sat, 26 May 2007 20:08:52 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

> On Sat, 26 May 2007 12:33:23 -0500, Cessna 310 wrote:
>
>> That's what I was afraid of. My daughter downloaded an upgrade of M$
>> Office from Office 2K to Office 2003. Since its a download, I'm
>> worried that she'll lose what she bought on a reload.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Since it was a download, why not save the downloaded file to cd/dvd
> before you reinstall? OTOH, there are plenty of free Liniux OS's and
> Open Office.

Also make sure you have a copy of the registration number and a copy of
the transaction. I would guess that if she bought an upgrade from MS she
should be able to download it again.

I spent several weeks trying to upgrade a uniprocessor Win2K installation
to a multiprocessor version. One of my colleagues is a Windows driver
developer, with his help I copied various file from a fresh Win2K
installation to the old version (which I was trying to preserve because
it had all sorts of software installed including things that are no
longer available). I was never able to get it to use the second core.
Ultimately it all became a moot point because a Windows update wreaked
the whole thing. Fortunately my colleague gets a certain number for free
copies of Windows from Microsoft because of his relationship with them,
so I was able to get a free copy of XP from the Microsoft store which I
used on this machine.

Cessna 310
May 27th 07, 03:43 AM
General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> On Sat, 26 May 2007 20:08:52 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 May 2007 12:33:23 -0500, Cessna 310 wrote:
>>
>>> That's what I was afraid of. My daughter downloaded an upgrade of M$
>>> Office from Office 2K to Office 2003. Since its a download, I'm
>>> worried that she'll lose what she bought on a reload.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>> Since it was a download, why not save the downloaded file to cd/dvd
>> before you reinstall? OTOH, there are plenty of free Liniux OS's and
>> Open Office.
>
> Also make sure you have a copy of the registration number and a copy of
> the transaction. I would guess that if she bought an upgrade from MS she
> should be able to download it again.
>
> I spent several weeks trying to upgrade a uniprocessor Win2K installation
> to a multiprocessor version. One of my colleagues is a Windows driver
> developer, with his help I copied various file from a fresh Win2K
> installation to the old version (which I was trying to preserve because
> it had all sorts of software installed including things that are no
> longer available). I was never able to get it to use the second core.
> Ultimately it all became a moot point because a Windows update wreaked
> the whole thing. Fortunately my colleague gets a certain number for free
> copies of Windows from Microsoft because of his relationship with them,
> so I was able to get a free copy of XP from the Microsoft store which I
> used on this machine.

Found an easy fix. Under Device Manager, right-click on Computer (MPS
Uniprocessor PC). Select Update Driver. In the Hardware Wizard, select
Display A List Of Known Drivers. Select the Multiprocessor System and
update. Requires a restart. Done.

Thanks for the advice on the software. I'll see if I can get it backed-up.

Carlo Razzeto
May 28th 07, 04:50 AM
"Wes Newell" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Since it was a download, why not save the downloaded file to cd/dvd before
> you reinstall? OTOH, there are plenty of free Liniux OS's and Open Office.

Why would she want to switch to Linux as per the original poster she's
already bought an MS Office license (which in most circles is still
considered superior to OO) and Windows seems to work fine for her? It's not
that linux is a bad choice by any means, but if some one already owns
licenses and seem to like the products they own license for I fail to see
how the Learning curve of a new OS with a whole set of new tools and
utilities is even remotely worth it.

Again, I'm not saying that Linux doesn't work as a desktop, or that it is
inferior in anyway. But you have to consider the learning curve involved
(yes, there is one I don't care how easy you think it is it is still
different) and the waste of money it would be (again she already owns
office). Particularly when the solution to this problem was a simple one,
upgrade the CPU driver, done.

Carlo

Wes Newell
May 28th 07, 06:48 AM
On Sun, 27 May 2007 23:50:20 -0400, Carlo Razzeto wrote:

> "Wes Newell" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> Since it was a download, why not save the downloaded file to cd/dvd before
>> you reinstall? OTOH, there are plenty of free Liniux OS's and Open Office.
>
> Why would she want to switch to Linux as per the original poster she's
> already bought an MS Office license (which in most circles is still
> considered superior to OO) and Windows seems to work fine for her? It's not
> that linux is a bad choice by any means, but if some one already owns
> licenses and seem to like the products they own license for I fail to see
> how the Learning curve of a new OS with a whole set of new tools and
> utilities is even remotely worth it.
>
> Again, I'm not saying that Linux doesn't work as a desktop, or that it is
> inferior in anyway. But you have to consider the learning curve involved
> (yes, there is one I don't care how easy you think it is it is still
> different) and the waste of money it would be (again she already owns
> office). Particularly when the solution to this problem was a simple one,
> upgrade the CPU driver, done.

And I don't have anything against Windows either. Can't. Viruses, bad
drivers, etc. wiped it out long ago.:-)

Carlo Razzeto
May 28th 07, 09:17 PM
"Wes Newell" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Sun, 27 May 2007 23:50:20 -0400, Carlo Razzeto wrote:
> And I don't have anything against Windows either. Can't. Viruses, bad
> drivers, etc. wiped it out long ago.:-)
>
> --
> Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
> http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
> My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
> HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm

Free AV and not logging in as root/admin all the time will clear up most of
those issues. Bad drivers abound everywhere (you can get them for linux and
they'll screw you up just as bad!) No matter what platform you run your
defence against bad support is to buy quality hardware (i.e. don't expect
your $10 digital camera to come with high quality software support, or any
support!) Linux isn't bad, but it also isn't *the answer*. Personally I
beleive that 42 is a better answer :P

Cessna 310
May 29th 07, 12:04 AM
Carlo Razzeto wrote:

> Personally I beleive that 42 is a better answer :P

42 may be the right answer. But not to this question. ;)

Carlo Razzeto
May 29th 07, 03:06 AM
"Cessna 310" > wrote in message
> Carlo Razzeto wrote:
>

>> Personally I beleive that 42 is a better answer :P
>
> 42 may be the right answer. But not to this question. ;)

I thought it was the meaning of life and the answer to everything?

Cessna 310
May 29th 07, 03:43 AM
Carlo Razzeto wrote:

> "Cessna 310" > wrote in message
>> Carlo Razzeto wrote:
>>

>>> Personally I beleive that 42 is a better answer :P
>>
>> 42 may be the right answer. But not to this question. ;)
>>

> I thought it was the meaning of life and the answer to everything?

It is only if the current question relates to the original question.
When computation started, the original question was defined and
processed. But since the original question was posed, it has evolved
into a slightly different questions even though computation has not been
interrupted for corrective programming to solve the modified question.
Therefore, although 42 is the answer to the meaning of life and to all
other questions, those questions were the original questions and not the
current questions. With a change of question also created a change in
the meaning of life.

OK?

;)

Carlo Razzeto
May 31st 07, 03:03 AM
"Cessna 310" > wrote in message
> Carlo Razzeto wrote:
> It is only if the current question relates to the original question. When
> computation started, the original question was defined and processed. But
> since the original question was posed, it has evolved into a slightly
> different questions even though computation has not been interrupted for
> corrective programming to solve the modified question. Therefore, although
> 42 is the answer to the meaning of life and to all other questions, those
> questions were the original questions and not the current questions. With
> a change of question also created a change in the meaning of life.
>
> OK?
>
> ;)

Ah yes... How could I have been so foolish?

Carlo

Cessna 310
May 31st 07, 04:03 AM
Carlo Razzeto wrote:
> "Cessna 310" > wrote in message
>> Carlo Razzeto wrote:
>> It is only if the current question relates to the original question.
>> When computation started, the original question was defined and
>> processed. But since the original question was posed, it has evolved
>> into a slightly different questions even though computation has not
>> been interrupted for corrective programming to solve the modified
>> question. Therefore, although 42 is the answer to the meaning of life
>> and to all other questions, those questions were the original
>> questions and not the current questions. With a change of question
>> also created a change in the meaning of life.
>>
>> OK?
>>
>> ;)
>>

> Ah yes... How could I have been so foolish?
>
> Carlo

lol... :)