PDA

View Full Version : amd sempron cpu: break down easily?

tg
May 25th 07, 07:32 PM
I'm trying to repair an Iqon computer (bought from Tesco's) that will
not boot, motherboard is an MS-6741. There's no image on the monitor
and I've been through loads of testing and swapping components and I
even bought a new duplicate motherboard (MS-6741) but this machine
still won't produce an image on a monitor. Only thing left to swap and
test now is the cpu, an AMD Sempron 3000+ socket 754. Are these
processors prone to breakdown? My experience is that cpu's rarely
break down, which is why I first changed the motherboard. Has anyone
else had one of these cpu's go down? (I notice they're cheap to buy,
is this because they're cheap and nasty?)
Thanks for any pointers.

Wes Newell
May 25th 07, 08:04 PM
On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:32:55 +0100, tg wrote:

> I'm trying to repair an Iqon computer (bought from Tesco's) that will
> not boot, motherboard is an MS-6741. There's no image on the monitor
> and I've been through loads of testing and swapping components and I
> even bought a new duplicate motherboard (MS-6741) but this machine
> still won't produce an image on a monitor. Only thing left to swap and
> test now is the cpu, an AMD Sempron 3000+ socket 754. Are these
> processors prone to breakdown? My experience is that cpu's rarely
> break down, which is why I first changed the motherboard. Has anyone
> else had one of these cpu's go down? (I notice they're cheap to buy,
> is this because they're cheap and nasty?)
> Thanks for any pointers.

No, cpu's don't fail often under normal use. However, if you are going to
replace it, use this Athlon 64 3200+ (512K L2 cache @ 2.2GHz) for $36
instead.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103035

If you haven't tested or replaced the PSU, that could be the problem, as
could the video card. Without seeing what it actually does, it's hard to
tell. Any beeps, light's, etc.

tg
May 26th 07, 12:28 AM
"Wes Newell" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:32:55 +0100, tg wrote:
>
> If you haven't tested or replaced the PSU, that could be the
> problem, as
> could the video card. Without seeing what it actually does, it's
> hard to
> tell. Any beeps, light's, etc.

no beeps at all, no image on the monitor. Monitor works fine on
another PC. Video is onboard, not from a card. I've tried a working
AGP card as well as some working PCI graphics cards, still no image on
the monitor. Lights on the front of the tower come on and all the fans
spin but no image on the monitor. Tested with a new PSU, no
difference. I've tested the memory, it's fine. I suppose it's gotta be
the processor...

Marcus Houlden
May 26th 07, 12:48 AM
On Sat, 26 May 2007 00:28:18 +0100, tg >
wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

> "Wes Newell" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:32:55 +0100, tg wrote:
>>
>> If you haven't tested or replaced the PSU, that could be the
>> problem, as
>> could the video card. Without seeing what it actually does, it's
>> hard to
>> tell. Any beeps, light's, etc.
>
> no beeps at all, no image on the monitor. Monitor works fine on
> another PC. Video is onboard, not from a card. I've tried a working
> AGP card as well as some working PCI graphics cards, still no image on
> the monitor. Lights on the front of the tower come on and all the fans
> spin but no image on the monitor. Tested with a new PSU, no
> difference. I've tested the memory, it's fine. I suppose it's gotta be
> the processor...

Or the motherboard or the CMOS battery. A new battery costs about 2 from
somewhere like Maplin or Currys (CR2032 size) so it's worth trying that
first.

FWIW, the AMD Sempron I'm using in a server here has been working pretty
much constantly since October 2005 with no major problems apart from one
night when an old HD died (but it was 8 years old).

mh.
--
http://www.nukesoft.co.uk
http://personal.nukesoft.co.uk

From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.

Ed Light
May 26th 07, 09:12 AM
"Marcus Houlden" > wrote

> From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.

Does that actually keep the spam away?

--
Ed Light

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

tg
May 26th 07, 12:01 PM
"Marcus Houlden" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 May 2007 00:28:18 +0100, tg >
> wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

> Or the motherboard or the CMOS battery. A new battery costs about 2
> from
> somewhere like Maplin or Currys (CR2032 size) so it's worth trying
> that
> first.

as mentioned in my op I've already tried a new duplicate motherboard
and the battery was fine too.

Marcus Houlden
May 26th 07, 12:14 PM
On Sat, 26 May 2007 01:12:59 -0700, Ed Light >
wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

> "Marcus Houlden" > wrote
>
>> From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.
>
> Does that actually keep the spam away?

Sometimes. Most of the spam I get *isn't* sent to mh-spam, but I've got lots
of filtering so it's difficult to say which addresses *do* get spammed the
most.

mh.
--
http://www.nukesoft.co.uk