PDA

View Full Version : Native resolution not attained

Peacekeeper[_3_]
May 25th 07, 05:48 AM
My son has a new Samsung 204b lcd monitor and via DVI the PC (with XP) is
not recognizing the monitors native resolution of 1600*1200. Nvidia control
panel shows native res as 1280*1024 for some reason.

He runs a 7900gs card and I have confirmed this occurring also on my Pc with
a 8800GTX card and Vista

We have tried 3 different video divers, 2 different DVI cables and still
cannot see the native res.

On vga/analogue cable the res shows up.

Any1 seen this happen before and if so what is the cause/solution.
tony

Paul
May 25th 07, 07:30 AM
Peacekeeper wrote:
> My son has a new Samsung 204b lcd monitor and via DVI the PC (with XP)
> is not recognizing the monitors native resolution of 1600*1200. Nvidia
> control panel shows native res as 1280*1024 for some reason.
>
> He runs a 7900gs card and I have confirmed this occurring also on my Pc
> with a 8800GTX card and Vista
>
> We have tried 3 different video divers, 2 different DVI cables and still
> cannot see the native res.
>
> On vga/analogue cable the res shows up.
>
> Any1 seen this happen before and if so what is the cause/solution.
> tony

This program will display the EDID information coming from the monitor.

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/files/moninfo.exe

The description of the program is here:
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/index.shtm

"Monitor Asset Manager serves a dual purpose. Free for personal use,
MonInfo captures and translates all the data passed by the monitor
to the display driver and on to the operating system - revealing,
for example, the reasons behind limitations on resolution and refresh
rate, and the monitor manufacturer's recommended timings."

As I understand it, installing the "monitor driver" from the monitor
maker, can declare more resolutions. Since my EDID seems to be OK,
I cannot experiment with that.

On some older video cards with DVI, the higher resolutions were not
available because of issues with the max clock rate of the DVI interface.
Some DVI interfaces could not run at the full rate, and rather than
end users seeing snow on their monitors, the driver limits the rate.
I doubt that is the problem with your setup, as you have recent and
high end cards.

This article has some interesting background info.

"Fixing the nVIDIA EDID Problem"
http://www.geocities.com/jgeneedid/

Paul

Peacekeeper[_3_]
May 25th 07, 10:11 AM
"Paul" > wrote in message ...
> Peacekeeper wrote:
>> My son has a new Samsung 204b lcd monitor and via DVI the PC (with XP) is
>> not recognizing the monitors native resolution of 1600*1200. Nvidia
>> control panel shows native res as 1280*1024 for some reason.
>>
>> He runs a 7900gs card and I have confirmed this occurring also on my Pc
>> with a 8800GTX card and Vista
>>
>> We have tried 3 different video divers, 2 different DVI cables and still
>> cannot see the native res.
>>
>> On vga/analogue cable the res shows up.
>>
>> Any1 seen this happen before and if so what is the cause/solution.
>> tony
>
> This program will display the EDID information coming from the monitor.
>
> http://www.entechtaiwan.com/files/moninfo.exe
>
> The description of the program is here:
> http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/index.shtm
>
> "Monitor Asset Manager serves a dual purpose. Free for personal use,
> MonInfo captures and translates all the data passed by the monitor
> to the display driver and on to the operating system - revealing,
> for example, the reasons behind limitations on resolution and refresh
> rate, and the monitor manufacturer's recommended timings."
>
> As I understand it, installing the "monitor driver" from the monitor
> maker, can declare more resolutions. Since my EDID seems to be OK,
> I cannot experiment with that.
>
> On some older video cards with DVI, the higher resolutions were not
> available because of issues with the max clock rate of the DVI interface.
> Some DVI interfaces could not run at the full rate, and rather than
> end users seeing snow on their monitors, the driver limits the rate.
> I doubt that is the problem with your setup, as you have recent and
> high end cards.
>
> This article has some interesting background info.
>
> "Fixing the nVIDIA EDID Problem"
> http://www.geocities.com/jgeneedid/
>
> Paul

Thanks Paul it doesn't install on my vista PC but will try it later on my
sons XP Pc

Peter
May 25th 07, 12:42 PM
Install monitor driver

"Peacekeeper" > wrote in message
> My son has a new Samsung 204b lcd monitor and via DVI the PC (with XP) is
> not recognizing the monitors native resolution of 1600*1200. Nvidia
> control panel shows native res as 1280*1024 for some reason.
>
> He runs a 7900gs card and I have confirmed this occurring also on my Pc
> with a 8800GTX card and Vista
>
> We have tried 3 different video divers, 2 different DVI cables and still
> cannot see the native res.
>
> On vga/analogue cable the res shows up.
>
> Any1 seen this happen before and if so what is the cause/solution.
> tony

Peacekeeper[_3_]
May 25th 07, 12:51 PM
"Peter" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Install monitor driver
>
> "Peacekeeper" > wrote in message
>> My son has a new Samsung 204b lcd monitor and via DVI the PC (with XP) is
>> not recognizing the monitors native resolution of 1600*1200. Nvidia
>> control panel shows native res as 1280*1024 for some reason.
>>
>> He runs a 7900gs card and I have confirmed this occurring also on my Pc
>> with a 8800GTX card and Vista
>>
>> We have tried 3 different video divers, 2 different DVI cables and still
>> cannot see the native res.
>>
>> On vga/analogue cable the res shows up.
>>
>> Any1 seen this happen before and if so what is the cause/solution.
>> tony

Sorry I must learn to cover everything I did. Yes that was the 1st thing we
did the driver is 2005 vintage and version 1 so possible it needs a
replacement though that version is the only 1 on the net and on the disk.

I installed the digital driver not the analogue 1 thaere was a choice.

thanks for the suggestion though
tony

Andi Cole
May 25th 07, 07:27 PM
Might be some help here
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17689111&page=13 similar
problem with the 226 and digital connections.

Andi.

"Peacekeeper" > wrote in message

> "Peter" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Install monitor driver
>>
>> "Peacekeeper" > wrote in message
>>> My son has a new Samsung 204b lcd monitor and via DVI the PC (with XP)
>>> is not recognizing the monitors native resolution of 1600*1200. Nvidia
>>> control panel shows native res as 1280*1024 for some reason.
>>>
>>> He runs a 7900gs card and I have confirmed this occurring also on my Pc
>>> with a 8800GTX card and Vista
>>>
>>> We have tried 3 different video divers, 2 different DVI cables and still
>>> cannot see the native res.
>>>
>>> On vga/analogue cable the res shows up.
>>>
>>> Any1 seen this happen before and if so what is the cause/solution.
>>> tony
>>

> Sorry I must learn to cover everything I did. Yes that was the 1st thing
> we did the driver is 2005 vintage and version 1 so possible it needs a
> replacement though that version is the only 1 on the net and on the disk.
>
> I installed the digital driver not the analogue 1 thaere was a choice.
>
> thanks for the suggestion though
> tony

Roger (K8RI)
May 26th 07, 03:02 AM
On Fri, 25 May 2007 02:30:33 -0400, Paul > wrote:

>Peacekeeper wrote:
>> My son has a new Samsung 204b lcd monitor and via DVI the PC (with XP)
>> is not recognizing the monitors native resolution of 1600*1200. Nvidia
>> control panel shows native res as 1280*1024 for some reason.
>>
>> He runs a 7900gs card and I have confirmed this occurring also on my Pc
>> with a 8800GTX card and Vista
>>
>> We have tried 3 different video divers, 2 different DVI cables and still
>> cannot see the native res.
>>
>> On vga/analogue cable the res shows up.
>>
>> Any1 seen this happen before and if so what is the cause/solution.
>> tony
>
>This program will display the EDID information coming from the monitor.
>
>http://www.entechtaiwan.com/files/moninfo.exe
>
>The description of the program is here:
>http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/index.shtm
>
> "Monitor Asset Manager serves a dual purpose. Free for personal use,
> MonInfo captures and translates all the data passed by the monitor
> to the display driver and on to the operating system - revealing,
> for example, the reasons behind limitations on resolution and refresh
> rate, and the monitor manufacturer's recommended timings."
>
>As I understand it, installing the "monitor driver" from the monitor
>maker, can declare more resolutions. Since my EDID seems to be OK,
>I cannot experiment with that.
>
>On some older video cards with DVI, the higher resolutions were not
>available because of issues with the max clock rate of the DVI interface.

My old AGP 7600GS will go to 1600 X 1280 on the 204b. On the 20"
screen that makes things too small for me so I only run it at 1280 X
1024

>Some DVI interfaces could not run at the full rate, and rather than
>end users seeing snow on their monitors, the driver limits the rate.
>I doubt that is the problem with your setup, as you have recent and
>high end cards.
>
>This article has some interesting background info.
>
>"Fixing the nVIDIA EDID Problem"
>http://www.geocities.com/jgeneedid/
>
> Paul

Roger (K8RI)
May 26th 07, 03:08 AM
On Fri, 25 May 2007 11:51:01 GMT, "Peacekeeper"
> wrote:

>"Peter" > wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> Install monitor driver
>>
>> "Peacekeeper" > wrote in message
>>> My son has a new Samsung 204b lcd monitor and via DVI the PC (with XP) is
>>> not recognizing the monitors native resolution of 1600*1200. Nvidia
>>> control panel shows native res as 1280*1024 for some reason.
>>>
>>> He runs a 7900gs card and I have confirmed this occurring also on my Pc
>>> with a 8800GTX card and Vista
>>>
>>> We have tried 3 different video divers, 2 different DVI cables and still
>>> cannot see the native res.
>>>
>>> On vga/analogue cable the res shows up.
>>>
>>> Any1 seen this happen before and if so what is the cause/solution.
>>> tony
>>

>Sorry I must learn to cover everything I did. Yes that was the 1st thing we
>did the driver is 2005 vintage and version 1 so possible it needs a
>replacement though that version is the only 1 on the net and on the disk.

That sounds strange as I purchsed mine last Fall and it has version 2
Dated 8/25/2005. I tried the "Update driver" and it came up with
version 2, but a date of 2/5/2007

>I installed the digital driver not the analogue 1 thaere was a choice.
>
>thanks for the suggestion though
>tony

Peacekeeper[_3_]
May 26th 07, 04:35 AM
> My old AGP 7600GS will go to 1600 X 1280 on the 204b. On the 20"
> screen that makes things too small for me so I only run it at 1280 X
> 1024

Thanks My son has eyes that work not like mine:0
The dsub cable works fine just that it should work on DVI as well ever
better.

Peacekeeper[_3_]
May 26th 07, 05:14 AM
> That sounds strange as I purchsed mine last Fall and it has version 2
> Dated 8/25/2005. I tried the "Update driver" and it came up with
> version 2, but a date of 2/5/2007

The site says version 1 but when u install it windows shows version 2. Tried
the update driver option says upto date

Really this sounds more like RMA time it is only 2 days old...

I removed the driver for the panel and the monitor was then a generic panel
the resolutions are exactly the same as whaen the DVI driver for the panel
is installed seems not to be reading the details correctly. reinstalled the
digital driver and same issue. Sigh

Peter
May 26th 07, 09:17 AM
Return it and get a widescreen.

"Peacekeeper" > wrote in message
>> That sounds strange as I purchsed mine last Fall and it has version 2
>> Dated 8/25/2005. I tried the "Update driver" and it came up with
>> version 2, but a date of 2/5/2007
>
> The site says version 1 but when u install it windows shows version 2.
> Tried
> the update driver option says upto date
>
> Really this sounds more like RMA time it is only 2 days old...
>
> I removed the driver for the panel and the monitor was then a generic
> panel the resolutions are exactly the same as whaen the DVI driver for the
> panel is installed seems not to be reading the details correctly.
> reinstalled the digital driver and same issue. Sigh

Peacekeeper[_3_]
May 26th 07, 10:11 AM
Son is happy with this size I have a 22:WS and prefers the 1600 resolution
of this 20"
Agreed time to stir samsung.
thanks all for your comments

"Peter" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Return it and get a widescreen.
>
> "Peacekeeper" > wrote in message
>>> That sounds strange as I purchsed mine last Fall and it has version 2
>>> Dated 8/25/2005. I tried the "Update driver" and it came up with
>>> version 2, but a date of 2/5/2007
>>
>> The site says version 1 but when u install it windows shows version 2.
>> Tried
>> the update driver option says upto date
>>
>> Really this sounds more like RMA time it is only 2 days old...
>>
>> I removed the driver for the panel and the monitor was then a generic
>> panel the resolutions are exactly the same as whaen the DVI driver for
>> the panel is installed seems not to be reading the details correctly.
>> reinstalled the digital driver and same issue. Sigh

Roger (K8RI)
May 26th 07, 06:06 PM
On Sat, 26 May 2007 09:11:06 GMT, "Peacekeeper"
> wrote:

>Son is happy with this size I have a 22:WS and prefers the 1600 resolution
>of this 20"
>Agreed time to stir samsung.
>thanks all for your comments

I'm using the 226BW (22" wide screen) at native resolution on this
machine which sets right beside the one using the 204BW.
I much prefer the 226BW and have had excellent results for the 3
months I've had it. It's both brighter and has better contrast than
the 204B. The prices have dropped dramaticaly compared to when I
purchased the 204B last Fall.

>"Peter" > wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> Return it and get a widescreen.

>>> The site says version 1 but when u install it windows shows version 2.
>>> Tried
>>> the update driver option says upto date
>>>
>>> Really this sounds more like RMA time it is only 2 days old...
>>>
>>> I removed the driver for the panel and the monitor was then a generic
>>> panel the resolutions are exactly the same as whaen the DVI driver for
>>> the panel is installed seems not to be reading the details correctly.
>>> reinstalled the digital driver and same issue. Sigh

McG.
May 28th 07, 11:17 AM
"Peacekeeper" > wrote in message
> My son has a new Samsung 204b lcd monitor and via DVI the PC (with XP) is
> not recognizing the monitors native resolution of 1600*1200. Nvidia
> control panel shows native res as 1280*1024 for some reason.
>
> He runs a 7900gs card and I have confirmed this occurring also on my Pc
> with a 8800GTX card and Vista
>
> We have tried 3 different video divers, 2 different DVI cables and still
> cannot see the native res.
>
> On vga/analogue cable the res shows up.
>
> Any1 seen this happen before and if so what is the cause/solution.
> tony

No, I'm running 2 Samsung 204B's on DVI from one of two 7800GTX cards under
XP Pro x64, nvidia driver 91.47. I run both monitors in 1600x1200 all the
time and DualView. Haven't had a problem at all.
McG.

Peacekeeper[_3_]
May 30th 07, 12:49 AM
Update
Samsung supplied new replacement monitor and it immediately allows the
native resolution on DVI. Good service Samsung in replacing it in 2 days.