PDA

View Full Version : 7950 GT versus 8 series fast question

Wax
May 25th 07, 12:49 AM
In terms of raw speed, which GeForce 8 series card is the equivalent of a
7950 GT? Thanks.

jdc
May 25th 07, 01:39 AM
Wax wrote:
> In terms of raw speed, which GeForce 8 series card is the equivalent of a
> 7950 GT? Thanks.

It's hard to compare in exact equalness. The 8600GT is about on par
with the 7600GT. Then if you go up the next rung of the ladder to the
8800GTS, it beats
the 7950GT by a good amount.

Mr.E Solved!
May 25th 07, 01:50 AM
Wax wrote:
> In terms of raw speed, which GeForce 8 series card is the equivalent of a
> 7950 GT? Thanks.

There are a number of qualifiers to that question, such as: in which
game, which metric (Assuming you want something other than final FPS),
and what memory size? 512M or 256M?

For example, the 8800GS 320M vs the 7950GT 512M produces interesting
results, just like the 8600GS 256M vs the 7950GT 256M produces
interesting results. Why don't you check you any number of hardware
review sites and see for yourself the specifics.

But, to start, go with, 8600GS -> 7950GT 512M -> 8800GS, all with
qualifications, caveat emptors and quid pro quos.

Fishface
May 25th 07, 06:18 AM
Wax wrote:
> In terms of raw speed, which GeForce 8 series card is the
> equivalent of a 7950 GT? Thanks.

Someone recently posted a link to this page which attempts to
put things in perspective:
www.tomshardware.com/2007/05/01/the_best_gaming_video_cards_for_the_money/page7.html

Wax
May 25th 07, 01:33 PM
Cool, I appreciate the info guys. Thanks again.