PDA

View Full Version : Driver(s) for dual cards --- 8800 GTS and 7900 GTX

No Name
April 30th 07, 09:22 PM
Dell XPS 600, XP Pro.

I have a problem with Premiere Pro 2.0 that requires me to turn
off hardware acceleration under my current unified 97.92
drivers.

Is that the latest that will drive both cards? Ideally I would
like to turn hardware acceleration back on, hoping that would
work with new drivers.

Thanks in advance,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia...)

deimos
May 1st 07, 10:56 PM
wrote:
> Dell XPS 600, XP Pro.
>
> I have a problem with Premiere Pro 2.0 that requires me to turn
> off hardware acceleration under my current unified 97.92
> drivers.
>
> Is that the latest that will drive both cards? Ideally I would
> like to turn hardware acceleration back on, hoping that would
> work with new drivers.
>
> Thanks in advance,

The newest official 158.19 drivers can be made to support the 7900, it's
only a matter of adding it to the .inf file before installing. See a
similar post on Guru3D:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=223244

If you feel adventurous, go with the 165 series. I've been stable with
158 on my 8800GTS.

John Lewis
May 3rd 07, 04:55 AM
On 30 Apr 2007 16:22:40 -0400, > wrote:

>Dell XPS 600, XP Pro.
>
>I have a problem with Premiere Pro 2.0 that requires me to turn
>off hardware acceleration under my current unified 97.92
>drivers.

This intrigues me a little, as I am potentially interested in
acquiring PP2.0.

(a) If you remove one of the cards, do you still have to turn hardware
acceleration off ?

(b) What display configuration(s) are you driving with the two cards ?

John Lewis

>Is that the latest that will drive both cards? Ideally I would
>like to turn hardware acceleration back on, hoping that would
>work with new drivers.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>

>--
>Andrew Hall
>(Now reading Usenet in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia...)

No Name
May 4th 07, 12:53 AM

John> On 30 Apr 2007 16:22:40 -0400, > wrote:

>> Dell XPS 600, XP Pro.
>>
>> I have a problem with Premiere Pro 2.0 that requires me to turn
>> off hardware acceleration under my current unified 97.92
>> drivers.

John> This intrigues me a little, as I am potentially interested in
John> acquiring PP2.0.

John> (a) If you remove one of the cards, do you still have to turn hardware
John> acceleration off ?

I did not try that. The problem went away. It had persisted for about four
weeks (before which I had not used the program for a few months). It went
away when I turned off HWA completely. After I was pretty convinced it was gone,
I tried turning HWA back on in increments. Now for several days, and a couple
of reboots, the slow behavior has not come back with HWA back to full.

I have no clue where it came from. The slowness was completely isolated to PP2.0.
After Effects, Photoshop, and all the other software I was running performed very
well. Nothing odd showed up in Task Manager, lots of spare memory and CPU cycles.

John> (b) What display configuration(s) are you driving with the two cards ?

Two Dell 2405 flat panel monitors.

BTW, Adobe has a new version of PP, CS3. Ditto for most of their other products.
Should start shipping around now, if not already.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia...)

No Name
May 4th 07, 02:51 AM

John> On 30 Apr 2007 16:22:40 -0400, > wrote:

>>> Dell XPS 600, XP Pro.
>>>
>>> I have a problem with Premiere Pro 2.0 that requires me to turn
>>> off hardware acceleration under my current unified 97.92
>>> drivers.

John> This intrigues me a little, as I am potentially interested in
John> acquiring PP2.0.

John> (a) If you remove one of the cards, do you still have to turn hardware
John> acceleration off ?

> I did not try that. The problem went away. It had persisted for about four
> weeks (before which I had not used the program for a few months). It went
> away when I turned off HWA completely. After I was pretty convinced it was gone,
> I tried turning HWA back on in increments. Now for several days, and a couple
> of reboots, the slow behavior has not come back with HWA back to full.

> I have no clue where it came from. The slowness was completely isolated to PP2.0.
> After Effects, Photoshop, and all the other software I was running performed very
> well. Nothing odd showed up in Task Manager, lots of spare memory and CPU cycles.

John> (b) What display configuration(s) are you driving with the two cards ?

> Two Dell 2405 flat panel monitors.

> BTW, Adobe has a new version of PP, CS3. Ditto for most of their other products.
> Should start shipping around now, if not already.

whoops, the slowness just came back. A quick toggle of two notches
down on the hardware acceleration, then back up fixed it. But it is
annoying.