PDA

View Full Version : 7600GT -> 8600GT

Man-wai Chang
April 24th 07, 07:42 AM
I know it's not yet available, but anyone know whether 8600GT would
perform reasonably well for DirectX 10 games?

--
iTech Consulting Services Limited
Expert of ePOS solutions

No One
April 24th 07, 11:49 AM
Man-wai Chang wrote:

> I know it's not yet available, but anyone know whether 8600GT would
> perform reasonably well for DirectX 10 games?

Well, first DirectX will have to be released and then games written for
it will have to come out. Based on the published specs though, I don't
seen the 8600 GT performing "reasonably well" with any DirectX 10 game.

Shawk
April 24th 07, 11:58 AM
Man-wai Chang wrote:

> I know it's not yet available, but anyone know whether 8600GT would
> perform reasonably well for DirectX 10 games?

Not sure whether this review is indicative or even fair but you might
want to read it and follow up by getting some more reviews....

http://legionhardware.com/document.php?id=637

invisibrarian
April 24th 07, 03:15 PM
Man-wai Chang wrote:

> I know it's not yet available, but anyone know whether 8600GT would
> perform reasonably well for DirectX 10 games?

It is available now.

Another Dave
April 24th 07, 04:14 PM
Shawk wrote:
> Not sure whether this review is indicative or even fair but you might
> want to read it and follow up by getting some more reviews....
>
> http://legionhardware.com/document.php?id=637

Bloody Hell! That's one severe review.

Another Dave
--
change nospam to f2s in e-mail

Steven Toney
April 24th 07, 10:24 PM
I don't think the 8500/8600 series makes much sense for optimum gaming

The buzz is they are optimized for HD dvd and video playback -- so they seem
well suited for HTPC's versus gaming PC's

"Another Dave" > wrote in message
> Shawk wrote:
>> Not sure whether this review is indicative or even fair but you might
>> want to read it and follow up by getting some more reviews....
>>
>> http://legionhardware.com/document.php?id=637
>>

> Bloody Hell! That's one severe review.
>
> Another Dave
> --
> change nospam to f2s in e-mail

invisibrarian
April 24th 07, 10:37 PM
Steven Toney wrote:
> I don't think the 8500/8600 series makes much sense for optimum gaming
>
> The buzz is they are optimized for HD dvd and video playback -- so they seem
> well suited for HTPC's versus gaming PC's

Is that the story for the 7600GS and GT?

Steven Toney
April 24th 07, 11:35 PM
I do not think so -- only the new 8500\8600 cards --

it involves the drivers too to take advantage of the cards and there is some
differences betwee XP and Vista as well

but folks are showing CPU drop a good percentage for these video tasks

"invisibrarian" > wrote in message
> Steven Toney wrote:
>> I don't think the 8500/8600 series makes much sense for optimum gaming
>>
>> The buzz is they are optimized for HD dvd and video playback -- so they
>> seem well suited for HTPC's versus gaming PC's
>
> Is that the story for the 7600GS and GT?

deimos
April 25th 07, 12:16 AM
Steven Toney wrote:
> I do not think so -- only the new 8500\8600 cards --
>
> it involves the drivers too to take advantage of the cards and there is some
> differences betwee XP and Vista as well
>
> but folks are showing CPU drop a good percentage for these video tasks
>

> "invisibrarian" > wrote in message
>> Steven Toney wrote:
>>> I don't think the 8500/8600 series makes much sense for optimum gaming
>>>
>>> The buzz is they are optimized for HD dvd and video playback -- so they
>>> seem well suited for HTPC's versus gaming PC's
>> Is that the story for the 7600GS and GT?

The decoding functions are only partially usable in WMP10/11 (post-pro).
You must have the PureVideo decoder installed to accelerate CABAC in
H264 and HD MPEG2 streams.

No One
April 25th 07, 01:50 AM
Another Dave wrote:
> Shawk wrote:
>
>> Not sure whether this review is indicative or even fair but you might
>> want to read it and follow up by getting some more reviews....
>>
>> http://legionhardware.com/document.php?id=637
>>

> Bloody Hell! That's one severe review.
>
> Another Dave

Not to mention one filled with very poor grammar.

Man-wai Chang
April 25th 07, 02:45 AM
> Not sure whether this review is indicative or even fair but you might
> want to read it and follow up by getting some more reviews....
>
> http://legionhardware.com/document.php?id=637

The only DirectX 10 capable game I've heard is Flight Simulator X, but
it will possibly need a patch when DirectX 10 comes out...

--
iTech Consulting Services Limited
Expert of ePOS solutions
Website: http://www.itech.com.hk (IE only)
Tel: (852)2325 3883 Fax: (852)2325 8288

First of One[_2_]
April 25th 07, 06:46 AM
Under XP, the latest official driver for the 7600 is 93.71; for the 8600
it's 158.19. Anand's review, for example, used the official drivers for each
card and shows the 8600GT faster than the 7600GT in all games, but a portion
of the speed advantage may be attributable to the newer driver.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2970&p=5

Wonder how Legionhardware got the 158.19 drivers working for the 7600GT. If
they edited the INF file, I certain hope they took the time to evaluate
image quality to ensure nothing is amiss with the unsupported driver...