PDA

View Full Version : Club3D nVidia 7300 GT Silent hangs with streaming video?

Richard Tonker
April 23rd 07, 04:36 PM
Hi all,

I needed a low-cost dual screen solution, so I purchased a dual video
card from Club3D. It works perfectly, except for one thing: When I try
to show streaming video full-screen, the card hangs after some time.
Most of the times it just "flickers", displaying two frames aternately
(sometimes while playing the stream in the top-left 640x480 corner);
sometimes the screen just fills up wit a pattern, then sometimes the
screen just goes blank and after a while, the computer reboots
spontaneously.

I had this problem with both the output from Media Player Classic and
my AverTV Go 700 Plus TV tuner. With MPC, the problem disappeared
after I changed the the renderer to windowed VMR9, but my TV tuner
only renders using the system default.

I've run the TV tuner before using the on-board VGA adapter, and never
had this problem, so I firure it has something to do with the nVidea
7300 GT. Looks like some memory issue.

Has anybody ever encountered this problem and, more specifically,
found a solution?

My setup:
- Gigabyte Core2Duo 4300 motherboard
running Windows XP Pro SP2 @ 1,800 MHz
- 1024 MB of RAM
- AverTV Go 700 Plus TV tuner
- Club3D nVidia 7300 GT Silent dual-monitor graphics adapter
with 256 MB ofRAM

I have installed the latest version of the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack
(including Real Alternative, QuickTime Alternative and Media Player
Classic), latest XP updates and latest AverMedia and nVidia 7 Series
drivers.

Any suggestions welcome!

DaveW[_2_]
April 23rd 07, 11:41 PM
That relatively underpowered video card has passive cooling and thus is most
likely overheating when loaded down with the demands of streaming video.

--

DaveW

___________
"Richard Tonker" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I needed a low-cost dual screen solution, so I purchased a dual video
> card from Club3D. It works perfectly, except for one thing: When I try
> to show streaming video full-screen, the card hangs after some time.
> Most of the times it just "flickers", displaying two frames aternately
> (sometimes while playing the stream in the top-left 640x480 corner);
> sometimes the screen just fills up wit a pattern, then sometimes the
> screen just goes blank and after a while, the computer reboots
> spontaneously.
>
> I had this problem with both the output from Media Player Classic and
> my AverTV Go 700 Plus TV tuner. With MPC, the problem disappeared
> after I changed the the renderer to windowed VMR9, but my TV tuner
> only renders using the system default.
>
> I've run the TV tuner before using the on-board VGA adapter, and never
> had this problem, so I firure it has something to do with the nVidea
> 7300 GT. Looks like some memory issue.
>

> Has anybody ever encountered this problem and, more specifically,
> found a solution?
>
> My setup:
> - Gigabyte Core2Duo 4300 motherboard
> running Windows XP Pro SP2 @ 1,800 MHz
> - 1024 MB of RAM
> - AverTV Go 700 Plus TV tuner
> - Club3D nVidia 7300 GT Silent dual-monitor graphics adapter
> with 256 MB ofRAM
>
> I have installed the latest version of the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack
> (including Real Alternative, QuickTime Alternative and Media Player
> Classic), latest XP updates and latest AverMedia and nVidia 7 Series
> drivers.
>

> Any suggestions welcome!

Richard Tonker
April 24th 07, 01:20 AM
Hi Dave,

--"That relatively underpowered video card has passive cooling and
thus is most likely overheating when loaded down with the demands of
streaming video."
--

Thanks for your input, but I sincerely doubt that it's a temperature
issue.

For one thing, streaming video isn't all that demanding. There aren't
any 3D operations involved, it's mostly just a matter of bit pumping.

Secondly, I can play streams with Media Player Classic for hours on
end. I've even played a long MPG vid on one screen while rendering a
ULead VideoStudio 9 project on the other, and all went fine. It's
only the TV tuner that makes the graphics card hang.

Thirdly, when the nVidia GPU reaches its top limit temperature (of 125
degrees celsius) it's supposed to merely slow down, not rebooting the
computer or playing strange memory tricks.

Finally, I had a temperature monitor running on one screen while
viewing full-screen TV on the other, and the temperature never
exceeded 64 degrees Celsius, which is well within the temperature
range of the card.

Therefore, I'm fairly sure that the card isn't overheating.

Any other suggestions?