PDA

View Full Version : Best 6800GT PCIe comparison?

Thomas Andersson
February 2nd 07, 11:53 AM
Hi!

I currently have a Golden sample (overclocked) 6800GT card with 256MB DDR3
ram. Now I wonder if I was to trade up to PCIe system, what would be the
cheapest card with at least the same or slightly better performance I could
get?

Best Wishes
Thomas

ShutEye
February 2nd 07, 02:09 PM
> Hi!
>
> I currently have a Golden sample (overclocked) 6800GT card with 256MB DDR3
> ram. Now I wonder if I was to trade up to PCIe system, what would be the
> cheapest card with at least the same or slightly better performance I
> could
> get?

I had a 3200+, GT6800 and DDR ram and bought an asrock motherboard to make
the shift to PCIe a little less painful for my pockets.
It's this one:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=775Dual-VSTA&s=775
Sure it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it _very_ cheap and runs
without a glicth.
So now I have a box with a E6600, 6800GT and 1GB DDR400.

VicTek
February 2nd 07, 05:34 PM
"ShutEye" > wrote in message ...
>> Hi!
>>
>> I currently have a Golden sample (overclocked) 6800GT card with 256MB
>> DDR3
>> ram. Now I wonder if I was to trade up to PCIe system, what would be the
>> cheapest card with at least the same or slightly better performance I
>> could
>> get?
>
> I had a 3200+, GT6800 and DDR ram and bought an asrock motherboard to make
> the shift to PCIe a little less painful for my pockets.
> It's this one:
> http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=775Dual-VSTA&s=775
> Sure it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it _very_ cheap and
> runs without a glicth.
> So now I have a box with a E6600, 6800GT and 1GB DDR400.

I researched AGP + PCIe motherboards some time ago and I seem to remember
that there was a significant video performance compromise. Hopefully it's
no longer an issue, but you might want to check it out.

Paul
February 2nd 07, 09:08 PM
Thomas Andersson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I currently have a Golden sample (overclocked) 6800GT card with 256MB DDR3
> ram. Now I wonder if I was to trade up to PCIe system, what would be the
> cheapest card with at least the same or slightly better performance I could
> get?
>
> Best Wishes
> Thomas

For video card info (params and benches) there are:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

Is that what you're looking for, info on the video card ?

Paul

ShutEye
February 3rd 07, 03:04 AM
<cut>
> I researched AGP + PCIe motherboards some time ago and I seem to remember
> that there was a significant video performance compromise. Hopefully it's
> no longer an issue, but you might want to check it out.

As I said: not all bells and whistles :)
The mentioned MB comes with a 4x pcie gfx port.
In the real world it has been measured to decrease the fps by 5-7%.
It's just a real cheap way to start the transition to the 'next gen'

First of One
February 3rd 07, 10:06 PM
You may want to check local availability before asking. 6800GT PCIe cards
are not easy to find nowadays. Even the least expensive 7900GS will
outperform the 6800GT by a large margin.