PDA

View Full Version : Reboots since installing an XFX 7950

Albert Wiersch
January 27th 07, 11:01 AM
I've experienced several spontaneous system reboots since installing a new
XFX 7950GT. I bought this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150189

Any ideas?

My thoughts are either the card is defective or the drivers.

I am overclocking my Core 2 Duo CPU only but did not have this problem with
my previous 7900GS card.

Albert

goPostal
January 27th 07, 02:33 PM
"Albert Wiersch" > wrote in message
> I've experienced several spontaneous system reboots since installing a new
> XFX 7950GT. I bought this card:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150189
>
> Any ideas?
>
> My thoughts are either the card is defective or the drivers.
>
> I am overclocking my Core 2 Duo CPU only but did not have this problem
> with my previous 7900GS card.
>
> Albert

Insufficient powersupply?

Albert Wiersch
January 27th 07, 04:15 PM
"goPostal" > wrote in message

> Insufficient powersupply?

Antec 450 watts... so I don't think so. Plus, my power meter (Kill-A-Watt)
never reads much above 200 watts.

Albert

Andi Cole
January 27th 07, 04:42 PM
I had this with the drivers supplied with my 7950GX2. Remove existing
drivers and clean with drivercleaner and reboot, cancel autodetect new
hardware, download latest driver from nvidia and install those, reboot.

Andi.

"Albert Wiersch" > wrote in message
> I've experienced several spontaneous system reboots since installing a new
> XFX 7950GT. I bought this card:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150189
>
> Any ideas?
>
> My thoughts are either the card is defective or the drivers.
>
> I am overclocking my Core 2 Duo CPU only but did not have this problem
> with my previous 7900GS card.
>
> Albert

Albert Wiersch
January 27th 07, 05:41 PM
"Andi Cole" > wrote in message
>I had this with the drivers supplied with my 7950GX2. Remove existing
>drivers and clean with drivercleaner and reboot, cancel autodetect new
>hardware, download latest driver from nvidia and install those, reboot.
>
> Andi.

Thanks. That would be great if that is the solution. So your computer
spontaneously rebooted once in a while (like maybe once every few days?)

I did install the BETA drivers after having the problem with the release
drivers, but never removed them and used drivercleaner. Will try doing that
though.

Albert

Albert Wiersch
January 27th 07, 06:54 PM
"Albert Wiersch" > wrote in message

> I did install the BETA drivers after having the problem with the release
> drivers, but never removed them and used drivercleaner. Will try doing
> that though.

Well so far so good, but it's too early to tell yet.

I didn't use Cab Cleaner though, even though Driver Cleaner recommended it.

--
Albert Wiersch
Fix your website: http://onlinewebcheck.com

Andi Cole
January 27th 07, 07:21 PM
It rebooted more regularly than that but it's funny that drivers were the
solution.

Andi.

"Albert Wiersch" > wrote in message

> "Andi Cole" > wrote in message
>>I had this with the drivers supplied with my 7950GX2. Remove existing
>>drivers and clean with drivercleaner and reboot, cancel autodetect new
>>hardware, download latest driver from nvidia and install those, reboot.
>>
>> Andi.
>
> Thanks. That would be great if that is the solution. So your computer
> spontaneously rebooted once in a while (like maybe once every few days?)
>
> I did install the BETA drivers after having the problem with the release
> drivers, but never removed them and used drivercleaner. Will try doing
> that though.
>
> Albert

DaveW
January 28th 07, 01:09 AM
You didn't give much info about your system, but my first take on it is that
you have too underpowered of a power supply unit to drive that card and all
your other computer components. That card is very power demanding, but I
don't know how many other components you have installed in your system that
are draining the PSU.

--
DaveW

----------------
"Albert Wiersch" > wrote in message
> I've experienced several spontaneous system reboots since installing a new
> XFX 7950GT. I bought this card:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150189
>
> Any ideas?
>
> My thoughts are either the card is defective or the drivers.
>
> I am overclocking my Core 2 Duo CPU only but did not have this problem
> with my previous 7900GS card.
>
> Albert

Albert Wiersch
January 28th 07, 02:31 AM
"DaveW" > wrote in message
. ..
> You didn't give much info about your system, but my first take on it is
> that you have too underpowered of a power supply unit to drive that card
> and all your other computer components. That card is very power
> demanding, but I don't know how many other components you have installed
> in your system that are draining the PSU.
>
> --
> DaveW

Antec 450 watts... so I don't think so. Plus, my power meter (Kill-A-Watt)
never reads much above 200 watts when under load. Never seen it above 250
watts.

I do have 3 hard drives in there (Raptor and two Seagate 7200.10 320GB) and
a DVD drive... 2 GB of RAM, a few fans. I think a 450 watt can handle all
that.

Albert

Bill Smith
January 28th 07, 04:26 AM
Might not be related, but when my sons fan died on his video card, it
would re-boot at random...usually while he was gaming ! He ran it like
that for about 2 months. I replaced the fan and he's still usuing that
card...a real prize that one...lol

I'm curious if you have one of the XFX cards that is passive. If so, I
hope you have very good airflow in your case...FYI !

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 04:01:48 -0600, "Albert Wiersch"
> wrote:

>I've experienced several spontaneous system reboots since installing a new
>XFX 7950GT. I bought this card:
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150189
>
>Any ideas?
>
>My thoughts are either the card is defective or the drivers.
>
>I am overclocking my Core 2 Duo CPU only but did not have this problem with
>my previous 7900GS card.
>
>Albert

First of One
January 28th 07, 04:51 AM
As the Newegg link shows, it IS passive. :-) As such, the first thing to
monitor are the GPU temperatures. If they are high (approaching 100C), then
improve case ventilation.

"Bill Smith" > wrote in message
> Might not be related, but when my sons fan died on his video card, it
> would re-boot at random...usually while he was gaming ! He ran it like
> that for about 2 months. I replaced the fan and he's still usuing that
> card...a real prize that one...lol
>
> I'm curious if you have one of the XFX cards that is passive. If so, I
> hope you have very good airflow in your case...FYI !
>
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 04:01:48 -0600, "Albert Wiersch"
> > wrote:
>
>>I've experienced several spontaneous system reboots since installing a new
>>XFX 7950GT. I bought this card:
>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150189
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>My thoughts are either the card is defective or the drivers.
>>
>>I am overclocking my Core 2 Duo CPU only but did not have this problem
>>with
>>my previous 7900GS card.
>>
>>Albert

Albert Wiersch
January 28th 07, 05:00 AM
"First of One" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> As the Newegg link shows, it IS passive. :-) As such, the first thing to
> monitor are the GPU temperatures. If they are high (approaching 100C),
> then improve case ventilation.

Yes, it is passive. I overclock my system and have several fans in there and
leave the case open since the CPU temp stays lower that way (I have an Antec
Sonata II case and it could have been made with better airflow--which is why
I leave the side panel off). Some of the air blows across the video card
heat sink. I'll have to watch the GPU temperature if I have more problems
but so far the clean driver install seems to be working but it's still too
early to tell for sure.

I'll probably investigate the GPU temp anyway and see what it is. I'm not on
the computer right now but will check it out later.

Albert

RF
January 28th 07, 06:14 AM
"Albert Wiersch" > wrote in message
> Antec 450 watts... so I don't think so. Plus, my power meter (Kill-A-Watt)
> never reads much above 200 watts when under load. Never seen it above 250
> watts.
>
> I do have 3 hard drives in there (Raptor and two Seagate 7200.10 320GB)
> and a DVD drive... 2 GB of RAM, a few fans. I think a 450 watt can handle
> all that.
>
> Albert

The watts aren't the issue. The amount of amps the power supply is capable
of providing on all the rails is.

Do you have the videocard on its own rail? i.e. is the power connector for
your card NOT chained with any other connectors being used by hard drives,
etc?

RF.

Mr.E Solved!
January 28th 07, 08:41 AM
RF wrote:
> "Albert Wiersch" > wrote in message
>> Antec 450 watts... so I don't think so. Plus, my power meter (Kill-A-Watt)
>> never reads much above 200 watts when under load. Never seen it above 250
>> watts.
>>
>> I do have 3 hard drives in there (Raptor and two Seagate 7200.10 320GB)
>> and a DVD drive... 2 GB of RAM, a few fans. I think a 450 watt can handle
>> all that.
>>
>> Albert
>
> The watts aren't the issue. The amount of amps the power supply is capable
> of providing on all the rails is.
>
> Do you have the videocard on its own rail? i.e. is the power connector for
> your card NOT chained with any other connectors being used by hard drives,
> etc?
>
> RF.

I'm thinking it isn't the PSU, but if it is, I concur it's a question of
peak amperage, as you mention. Perhaps all those mechanical drive motors
are drawing too much current if they are all on at once, they are +12v
hungry just like the GPU.

Unplug everything, boot minimally to test.

Albert Wiersch
January 28th 07, 05:37 PM
"RF" > wrote in message

> The watts aren't the issue. The amount of amps the power supply is
> capable of providing on all the rails is.
>
> Do you have the videocard on its own rail? i.e. is the power connector
> for your card NOT chained with any other connectors being used by hard
> drives, etc?

I assume it is on its own rail as it is plugged into the dedicated PCI-E
power connector or whatever that special power connector is for the video
card. Besides, the system rebooted when I wasn't doing any heavy video
processing so it wouldn't have been drawing a lot of power at the time (as
far as I know anyway).

Also, my case and power supply are pretty new (2nd half 2006), so I assume
they were built to handle the new stuff.

It was still working this morning and I ran Prime95 all night long, so I'm
still hopeful it was a driver issue that's been cleaned up (thanks Andi).

Albert

Andi Cole
January 29th 07, 06:37 PM
;-)

"Albert Wiersch" > wrote in message

> "RF" > wrote in message
>>
>> The watts aren't the issue. The amount of amps the power supply is
>> capable of providing on all the rails is.
>>
>> Do you have the videocard on its own rail? i.e. is the power connector
>> for your card NOT chained with any other connectors being used by hard
>> drives, etc?
>
> I assume it is on its own rail as it is plugged into the dedicated PCI-E
> power connector or whatever that special power connector is for the video
> card. Besides, the system rebooted when I wasn't doing any heavy video
> processing so it wouldn't have been drawing a lot of power at the time (as
> far as I know anyway).
>
> Also, my case and power supply are pretty new (2nd half 2006), so I assume
> they were built to handle the new stuff.
>
> It was still working this morning and I ran Prime95 all night long, so I'm
> still hopeful it was a driver issue that's been cleaned up (thanks Andi).
>
> Albert

Roger
January 30th 07, 02:50 AM
On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 19:31:50 -0600, "Albert Wiersch"
> wrote:

>"DaveW" > wrote in message
. ..
>> You didn't give much info about your system, but my first take on it is
>> that you have too underpowered of a power supply unit to drive that card
>> and all your other computer components. That card is very power
>> demanding, but I don't know how many other components you have installed
>> in your system that are draining the PSU.
>>
>> --
>> DaveW
>
>Antec 450 watts... so I don't think so. Plus, my power meter (Kill-A-Watt)
>never reads much above 200 watts when under load. Never seen it above 250

I doubt you'd want to pull 250 for very long out of a 450 supply. They
just don't have the duty cycle. Reading the reviews on NewEgg some
swear by Antec and some swear at them. It is an inexpensive supply.

>watts.

I think so. <:-))

They recommend a 500 watt supply.

Remember that a supply will only be capable of reaching its ratings
when the loads are well balanced across all of the lines and then they
will only do it for a short time. These supplies are a long way from
100% duty cycle. figure 50 to 60% continuous on a good day. Changing
drivers may have helped reduce the load, but 450 along with an over
clocked core duo is really pushing it.

>I do have 3 hard drives in there (Raptor and two Seagate 7200.10 320GB) and
>a DVD drive... 2 GB of RAM, a few fans. I think a 450 watt can handle all
>that.

3 drives, an over clocked core duo, I'm running an Athlon FX 62 dual
core, (2800 core OC to 3,000) Sapphire 1950XT and 3 drive set up with
a 750 watt ThermalTake supply. It'll be getting a SATA RAID soon.

I had a similar set up to what you have and it was so close to the
limit all I had to do was plug in one more 90 mm fan and it'd quit.
The symptoms were just as you describe.

Now the smallest supply I'm using is over 500 watts. The others are
630 to 750 watts. No more marginal supplies for me.

Good luck,

>Albert

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Albert Wiersch
January 30th 07, 05:44 PM
"Roger" > wrote in message

>>Antec 450 watts... so I don't think so. Plus, my power meter (Kill-A-Watt)
>>never reads much above 200 watts when under load. Never seen it above 250
>
> I doubt you'd want to pull 250 for very long out of a 450 supply. They
> just don't have the duty cycle. Reading the reviews on NewEgg some
> swear by Antec and some swear at them. It is an inexpensive supply.

When I overclock to 3.375GHz I have to raise the CPU voltage to 1.4V and it
pulls maybe 220 watts at the max under load. Most of the time it is less
than 200. But now I am just overclocking to 3.150GHz and can use normal
voltage and it is well below 200 watts (I think even when it's under load)
when I do it that way. It also keeps the CPU much cooler. I think I'll just
stick with 3.150GHz and not stress it so much. The little extra speed is
nice but not very noticable unless I do timed tests.

> They recommend a 500 watt supply.
>
> Remember that a supply will only be capable of reaching its ratings
> when the loads are well balanced across all of the lines and then they
> will only do it for a short time. These supplies are a long way from
> 100% duty cycle. figure 50 to 60% continuous on a good day. Changing
> drivers may have helped reduce the load, but 450 along with an over
> clocked core duo is really pushing it.

Thanks for the info. I thought Antec was suppose to be a better brand.
Though I believe one or two have gone out on me in several years, but I am a
heavy computer user with several computers.

> I had a similar set up to what you have and it was so close to the
> limit all I had to do was plug in one more 90 mm fan and it'd quit.
> The symptoms were just as you describe.

I'm still hoping it was a driver issue. I haven't had the problem in several
days now.

Thanks,
Albert

Bill
January 30th 07, 08:53 PM
In article >,
says...

> Thanks for the info. I thought Antec was suppose to be a better brand.

It is, but Antec has more than one line of power supply.

See: http://www.antec.com/us/pro_powerSupply.html

I submit that, as with most things, price varies with quality and
features.

> Though I believe one or two have gone out on me in several years, but I am a
> heavy computer user with several computers.

There is nothing made by man that will not fail sooner or later.

> Thanks,
> Albert

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Roger
February 1st 07, 01:29 AM
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 11:53:57 -0800, Bill
> wrote:

>In article >,
>says...
>
>> Thanks for the info. I thought Antec was suppose to be a better brand.
>
> It is, but Antec has more than one line of power supply.
>
> See: http://www.antec.com/us/pro_powerSupply.html
>
> I submit that, as with most things, price varies with quality and
>features.

Ur right. All I had seen were the economy versions.
Still, only 3, 12 volt rails and 450 watts is a bit light for a system
of that magnitude.

>> Though I believe one or two have gone out on me in several years, but I am a
>> heavy computer user with several computers.

Drives, power supplies, motherboards, uncounted fans, and a couple of
CPUs. I don't remember ever losing a video card though.
I lost the MoBoard when a PS failed.
Drives have both increased in capacity and come down in price
dramatically, but I seem to be seeing a corresponding reduction in
their lifetimes as well.

I built up a 64 bit dual core and am now trying to find drivers for my
HDTV tuner [email protected] card. That is the only thing I haven't
been able to get on 64 bit XP Pro. I may have to replace it if I
can't find any drivers. Now if I could only find a "good" HDMI to DVI
converter and not just a breakout box...

I have 4 other computers that it'll work in, but I don't want to have
to put one of them out in the shop with the new one. That and
convincing my wife I need a monitor for the spare computer might take
some doing as she'd want to know why I wanted a 22 to 24" wide screen
for a spare. <:-)) I'd really put that on the big computer and the
old 17" on the spare.

I've reached the point where the "upgrades" are no longer minor and
find there is very little I can use out of the previous machine. I've
even gone to full size tower cases with the last two being quite
different than the flimsy Aluminum ones I've used for some time.

With Vista degrading premium audio and video content my AV machine is
definitely staying XP Pro.

> There is nothing made by man that will not fail sooner or later.
>

>> Thanks,
>> Albert
>
> Bill
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Albert Wiersch
February 15th 07, 07:35 PM
UPDATE: Andi's driver-based solution seems to have solved the problem. I
haven't had a spontaneous reboot in about two weeks. I'm glad I didn't go
through the trouble of returning the card.

--
Albert Wiersch
Fix your website: http://onlinewebcheck.com

"Albert Wiersch" > wrote in message
> I've experienced several spontaneous system reboots since installing a new
> XFX 7950GT. I bought this card:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150189
>
> Any ideas?
>
> My thoughts are either the card is defective or the drivers.
>
> I am overclocking my Core 2 Duo CPU only but did not have this problem
> with my previous 7900GS card.
>
> Albert

heycarnut
February 18th 07, 11:25 AM
On Feb 15, 10:35 am, "Albert Wiersch"
> wrote:
> UPDATE: Andi's driver-based solution seems to have solved the problem. I
> haven't had a spontaneous reboot in about two weeks.

I wish I'd searched 7950 and read this thread a few hours ago. I've
been trying to help a buddy using a 7950 on an a8n32 board. He was
getting reboots/bluescreens within 20 minutes or so of playing WOW. We
were so convinced it was a driver issue, we setup a remote debug
session to try and narrow the problem down - obviously groping in the
dark with no source for the driver, but we figured we'd at least get
an "a-ha!" trapping the error. Doh! I'm sure I'd asked him several
times if he'd used drivercleaner to scrub the machine (former gpu was
an ATI). Turns out he hadn't. Used it, re-installed the NV drivers, so
far...
Great little utility for clearing out the cobwebs some driver
uninstalls leave around.