PDA

View Full Version : How long till the 7950GS AGP is released?

Too_Much_Coffee
January 22nd 07, 04:52 PM
I don't know either. :)

If I Google '7950GS AGP' I get quite a few hits but they are
mostly forum comments. I would be very surprised if this isn't
the card nVidia releases to challenge the 1950PRO, but I could
be wrong.

Waiting and watching.

TMC

Too_Much_Coffee
January 22nd 07, 05:11 PM
Too_Much_Coffee wrote:
> I don't know either. :)
>
> If I Google '7950GS AGP' I get quite a few hits but they are
> mostly forum comments. I would be very surprised if this isn't
> the card nVidia releases to challenge the 1950PRO, but I could
> be wrong.
>
> Waiting and watching.
>

> TMC

Here's a little bit:
http://tinyurl.com/yp9tgw

No One
January 23rd 07, 12:26 AM
Too_Much_Coffee wrote:
> I don't know either. :)
>
> If I Google '7950GS AGP' I get quite a few hits but they are
> mostly forum comments. I would be very surprised if this isn't
> the card nVidia releases to challenge the 1950PRO, but I could
> be wrong.
>
> Waiting and watching.
>

> TMC

How can AGP keep up with a 7950?

Slap
January 23rd 07, 02:14 AM
never.

Too_Much_Coffee
January 23rd 07, 02:32 AM
No One wrote:
> Too_Much_Coffee wrote:
>> I don't know either. :)
>>
>> If I Google '7950GS AGP' I get quite a few hits but they are
>> mostly forum comments. I would be very surprised if this
isn't
>> the card nVidia releases to challenge the 1950PRO, but I
could
>> be wrong.
>>
>> Waiting and watching.
>>

>> TMC
>>

> How can AGP keep up with a 7950?

How can AGP keep up with an X1950Pro? nVidia isn't going to let
ATI have the AGP market so they have to come up with something,
IMO.

TMC

Too_Much_Coffee
January 23rd 07, 02:33 AM
Slap wrote:
> never.

Never say never. :)

TMC

First of One
January 23rd 07, 04:56 AM
"Too_Much_Coffee " > wrote in message
. ..
>I don't know either. :)
>
> If I Google '7950GS AGP' I get quite a few hits but they are
> mostly forum comments.

There exists an Arctic Cooling-equipped, highly overclockable 512 MB 7900GT
AGP in the form of Gainward's 7800GS+, available for a price at
Overclockers.co.uk. Stop waiting. :-)

> I would be very surprised if this isn't the card nVidia releases to
> challenge the 1950PRO, but I could be wrong.

Remember, any board partner can integrate the HSI bridge and produce an AGP
card like Gainward has done. The reason they haven't is probably because
their market research shows little profit potential, even at $100 higher
prices than their PCIe equivalents - this may be why ATi doesn't market an
X1950 Pro AGP itself, leaving the risk to the smaller partners like
Powercolor, Diamond, Sapphire, etc.

oldwolf
January 23rd 07, 09:32 AM

> There exists an Arctic Cooling-equipped, highly overclockable 512 MB
7900GT
> AGP in the form of Gainward's 7800GS+, available for a price at
> Overclockers.co.uk. Stop waiting. :-)

And a damn good card it is too.
(Got mine in exchange for a DOA X850XT (non PE).)

Too_Much_Coffee
January 23rd 07, 12:56 PM
First of One wrote:
> "Too_Much_Coffee " > wrote in message
> . ..
>> I don't know either. :)
>>
>> If I Google '7950GS AGP' I get quite a few hits but they are
>> mostly forum comments.
>
> There exists an Arctic Cooling-equipped, highly overclockable
512
> MB 7900GT AGP in the form of Gainward's 7800GS+, available for
> price at Overclockers.co.uk. Stop waiting. :-)
>
>> I would be very surprised if this isn't the card nVidia
releases to
>> challenge the 1950PRO, but I could be wrong.
>
> Remember, any board partner can integrate the HSI bridge and
> produce an AGP card like Gainward has done.

That's what I mean really when I say ATI or nVidia. I think we
will see a BFG 7950GS OC AGP soon. Within the next 1-2 months;
maybe sooner.

TMC

>The reason they haven't
> is probably because their market research shows little profit
> potential, even at $100 higher prices than their PCIe
equivalents -
> this may be why ATi doesn't market an X1950 Pro AGP itself,
leaving
> the risk to the smaller partners like Powercolor, Diamond,
> Sapphire, etc.

No One
January 23rd 07, 01:14 PM
Too_Much_Coffee wrote:

> No One wrote:
>
>>Too_Much_Coffee wrote:
>>
>>>I don't know either. :)
>>>
>>>If I Google '7950GS AGP' I get quite a few hits but they are
>>>mostly forum comments. I would be very surprised if this
>
> isn't
>
>>>the card nVidia releases to challenge the 1950PRO, but I
>
> could
>
>>>be wrong.
>>>
>>>Waiting and watching.
>>>

>>>TMC
>>>

>>How can AGP keep up with a 7950?
>

> How can AGP keep up with an X1950Pro? nVidia isn't going to let
> ATI have the AGP market so they have to come up with something,
> IMO.
>

> TMC

Why? How large can the top end AGP market be? PCI-Express has been out
nearly 3 years. Even at my local computer retailer the number of AGP
cards available is dwarphed by the PCI-Express cards. They sell more
PCI-Express and AGP as well. Further, your typical AGP setup will run
Vista way too slowly.

January 23rd 07, 03:22 PM
"No One" > wrote in message ...
> Too_Much_Coffee wrote:
>
> > No One wrote:

> > isn't

> > could

> >>How can AGP keep up with a 7950?
> >

> > How can AGP keep up with an X1950Pro? nVidia isn't going to let
> > ATI have the AGP market so they have to come up with something,
> > IMO.
> >

> > TMC
> >

> Why? How large can the top end AGP market be? PCI-Express has been out
> nearly 3 years. Even at my local computer retailer the number of AGP
> cards available is dwarphed by the PCI-Express cards. They sell more
> PCI-Express and AGP as well. Further, your typical AGP setup will run
> Vista way too slowly.

The high-end and top-end AGP markets are huge. Millions of
people haven't bought into the PCI-E hype, or have no reason
to, at least not yet. The AGP doomsayers have been around
for nearly three years and by now they've lost all credibility.

Too_Much_Coffee
January 23rd 07, 06:42 PM
No One wrote:
> Too_Much_Coffee wrote:
>
>> No One wrote:

>> isn't

>> could

>>> How can AGP keep up with a 7950?
>>

>> How can AGP keep up with an X1950Pro? nVidia isn't going to
let
>> ATI have the AGP market so they have to come up with
something,
>> IMO.
>>

>> TMC
>>

> Why? How large can the top end AGP market be? PCI-Express
has
> been out nearly 3 years. Even at my local computer retailer
the
> number of AGP cards available is dwarphed by the PCI-Express
cards.
> They sell more PCI-Express and AGP as well. Further, your
typical
> AGP setup will run Vista way too slowly.

With Vista (Aero) being released soon, I would guess that quite
a few people (millions) want to upgrade their computer. All they
need to get their system up to speed is a graphics card. The
CPU, memory, PS and mobo work fine. Also they don't want to have
to reinstall all their software. I would say that the sale of
AGP cards will increase over the next few months.

TMC

John Lewis
January 24th 07, 11:07 PM
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 03:56:50 -0800, "Too_Much_Coffee "
> wrote:

>First of One wrote:
>> "Too_Much_Coffee " > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> I don't know either. :)
>>>
>>> If I Google '7950GS AGP' I get quite a few hits but they are
>>> mostly forum comments.
>>
>> There exists an Arctic Cooling-equipped, highly overclockable
>512
>> MB 7900GT AGP in the form of Gainward's 7800GS+, available for
>> price at Overclockers.co.uk. Stop waiting. :-)
>>
>>> I would be very surprised if this isn't the card nVidia
>releases to
>>> challenge the 1950PRO, but I could be wrong.
>>
>> Remember, any board partner can integrate the HSI bridge and
>> produce an AGP card like Gainward has done.
>
>That's what I mean really when I say ATI or nVidia. I think we
>will see a BFG 7950GS OC AGP soon. Within the next 1-2 months;
>maybe sooner.

Nope, never. Obsolete within the next 3 months.

8300 or 8600 AGP maybe. Vista/XP/Dx10/Dx9 compatible, etc...

See:-

http://www.dailytech.com/NVIDIA+G8x+Design+Kit+Analysis/article5768.htm

John Lewis