PDA

View Full Version : "Bad Pool Header BSOD - video card related?

Lukas Mariman
January 19th 07, 09:41 PM
This may o may not be on-topic. I just experienced a BSOD displaying the
error "BAD_POOL_HEADER". I was wondering if any of you have any experience
with this type of error. Is this a video card related issue? Could corrupted
or outdated drivers be the issue?

January 19th 07, 09:57 PM
"Lukas Mariman" > wrote in message ...
> This may o may not be on-topic. I just experienced a BSOD displaying the
> error "BAD_POOL_HEADER". I was wondering if any of you have any experience
> with this type of error. Is this a video card related issue? Could corrupted
> or outdated drivers be the issue?

Could be a lot of things.. Flakey or improperly seated card,
cpu or memory; trying to overclock a system beyond its limits;
a poorly written driver that doesn't know how to properly
share resources; also seen on some systems that were
"in-place upgraded" from Win98 to Win2K or XP. Usually
a fresh reformat/reinstall of XP will solve the problem.

Lukas Mariman
January 19th 07, 10:20 PM
> schreef in bericht
. net...
> "Lukas Mariman" > wrote in message
>> This may o may not be on-topic. I just experienced a BSOD displaying the
>> error "BAD_POOL_HEADER". I was wondering if any of you have any
>> experience
>> with this type of error. Is this a video card related issue? Could
>> corrupted
>> or outdated drivers be the issue?
>
> Could be a lot of things.. Flakey or improperly seated card,
> cpu or memory; trying to overclock a system beyond its limits;
> a poorly written driver that doesn't know how to properly
> share resources; also seen on some systems that were
> "in-place upgraded" from Win98 to Win2K or XP. Usually
> a fresh reformat/reinstall of XP will solve the problem.

I had similar problems, maybe the same one, way back last August and
September.

Reinstalling did seem to solve it back then. Still no idea what actually
caused it.

Man, it seems reinstalling Windows is all I ever do. :-(

Lukas Mariman
January 19th 07, 11:04 PM
"Lukas Mariman" > schreef in bericht

> > schreef in bericht
> . net...
>> "Lukas Mariman" > wrote in message
>>> This may o may not be on-topic. I just experienced a BSOD displaying the
>>> error "BAD_POOL_HEADER". I was wondering if any of you have any
>>> experience
>>> with this type of error. Is this a video card related issue? Could
>>> corrupted
>>> or outdated drivers be the issue?
>>
>> Could be a lot of things.. Flakey or improperly seated card,
>> cpu or memory; trying to overclock a system beyond its limits;
>> a poorly written driver that doesn't know how to properly
>> share resources; also seen on some systems that were
>> "in-place upgraded" from Win98 to Win2K or XP. Usually
>> a fresh reformat/reinstall of XP will solve the problem.
>
> I had similar problems, maybe the same one, way back last August and
> September.
>
> Reinstalling did seem to solve it back then. Still no idea what actually
> caused it.
>
> Man, it seems reinstalling Windows is all I ever do. :-(

BTW, if yhis helps, I installed the latest version of Google Earth just
yesterday and Steam got a major update, followed by a patch, too!

This feels like a whodunnit, Windows version.

M÷nžig˝or ▀oddoM
January 20th 07, 01:19 AM
Lukas Mariman wrote:
> "Lukas Mariman" > schreef in bericht
>> > schreef in bericht
>> . net...
>>> Could be a lot of things.. Flakey or improperly seated card,
>>> cpu or memory; trying to overclock a system beyond its limits;
>>> a poorly written driver that doesn't know how to properly
>>> share resources; also seen on some systems that were
>>> "in-place upgraded" from Win98 to Win2K or XP. Usually
>>> a fresh reformat/reinstall of XP will solve the problem.
>> I had similar problems, maybe the same one, way back last August and
>> September.
>>
>> Reinstalling did seem to solve it back then. Still no idea what actually
>> caused it.
>>
>> Man, it seems reinstalling Windows is all I ever do. :-(
>
> BTW, if yhis helps, I installed the latest version of Google Earth just
> yesterday and Steam got a major update, followed by a patch, too!
>
> This feels like a whodunnit, Windows version.

Maybe you could analyze event viewer and see if there is a precursor to
your problems.
Maybe its time to get a ghost image going.
Honestly reformat is is a last resort. You would spend your time better
figuring out the "why".

After a google of "BAD_POOL_HEADER" it looks like you are definitely
looking at a hardware issue, and in particular outdated drivers.
What could be happening is that you clean install windows, install your
drivers and then do windows updates, in this case, sometimes windows
update will overwrite what was a good current driver for your hardware,
and replacing it. Check to make sure you driver's are good.

Mr.E Solved!
January 20th 07, 07:17 AM
M÷nžig˝or ▀oddoM wrote:

> followed by a patch, too!

> Maybe you could analyze event viewer and see if there is a precursor to
> your problems.

> Maybe its time to get a ghost image going.

> Honestly reformat is is a last resort. You would spend your time better
> figuring out the "why".
>
> After a google of "BAD_POOL_HEADER" it looks like you are definitely
> looking at a hardware issue, and in particular outdated drivers.
> What could be happening is that you clean install windows, install your
> drivers and then do windows updates, in this case, sometimes windows
> update will overwrite what was a good current driver for your hardware,
> and replacing it. Check to make sure you driver's are good.

Yup, that mystery patch is suspect. I bet a PCI device is found near the
scene of the crime as well.

Don't forget to inspect your device tree, including hidden devices, to
make sure there isn't a conflict. it's definitely a hardware device
issue, only those devices interact with windows and the BIOS that way.

Have you tried "F8"-ing to a last known good configuration? Perchance a
System Restore point?

Lukas Mariman
January 20th 07, 01:11 PM
"Mr.E Solved!" > schreef in bericht
. ..
> M÷nžig˝or ▀oddoM wrote:
>

>> followed by a patch, too!
>
>> Maybe you could analyze event viewer and see if there is a precursor to
>> your problems.
>
>> Maybe its time to get a ghost image going.
>
>> Honestly reformat is is a last resort. You would spend your time better
>> figuring out the "why".
>>
>> After a google of "BAD_POOL_HEADER" it looks like you are definitely
>> looking at a hardware issue, and in particular outdated drivers.
>> What could be happening is that you clean install windows, install your
>> drivers and then do windows updates, in this case, sometimes windows
>> update will overwrite what was a good current driver for your hardware,
>> and replacing it. Check to make sure you driver's are good.
>
> Yup, that mystery patch is suspect. I bet a PCI device is found near the
> scene of the crime as well.
>
> Don't forget to inspect your device tree, including hidden devices, to
> make sure there isn't a conflict. it's definitely a hardware device issue,
> only those devices interact with windows and the BIOS that way.
>
> Have you tried "F8"-ing to a last known good configuration? Perchance a
> System Restore point?

Not yet; perhaps I should try that.

Thanks for the help!

Lukas Mariman
January 20th 07, 01:29 PM
"Lukas Mariman" > schreef in bericht

> "Mr.E Solved!" > schreef in bericht
> . ..
>> M÷nžig˝or ▀oddoM wrote:
>>

>>> followed by a patch, too!
>>
>>> Maybe you could analyze event viewer and see if there is a precursor to
>>> your problems.
>>
>>> Maybe its time to get a ghost image going.
>>
>>> Honestly reformat is is a last resort. You would spend your time better
>>> figuring out the "why".
>>>
>>> After a google of "BAD_POOL_HEADER" it looks like you are definitely
>>> looking at a hardware issue, and in particular outdated drivers.
>>> What could be happening is that you clean install windows, install your
>>> drivers and then do windows updates, in this case, sometimes windows
>>> update will overwrite what was a good current driver for your hardware,
>>> and replacing it. Check to make sure you driver's are good.
>>
>> Yup, that mystery patch is suspect. I bet a PCI device is found near the
>> scene of the crime as well.
>>
>> Don't forget to inspect your device tree, including hidden devices, to
>> make sure there isn't a conflict. it's definitely a hardware device
>> issue, only those devices interact with windows and the BIOS that way.
>>
>> Have you tried "F8"-ing to a last known good configuration? Perchance a
>> System Restore point?
>
> Not yet; perhaps I should try that.
>
> Thanks for the help!

FWIW, I don't see any hardware conflicts (or at least Windows doesn't report
any) but I did see that IRQ 18 is being shared between my 6600GT card and my
audio card, a Creative Audigy LS.

Mr.E Solved!
January 20th 07, 09:25 PM
Lukas Mariman wrote:

> FWIW, I don't see any hardware conflicts (or at least Windows doesn't report
> any) but I did see that IRQ 18 is being shared between my 6600GT card and my
> audio card, a Creative Audigy LS.

Generally, in an APIC PC (like yours), you can have shared IRQ's over 16
without incident.

However, just to be doubly sure, move the sound card a slot down. Of
course, it will now most likely share resources with another device,
which you might be able to turn off.

If you do move your card, be sure to uninstall your drivers first, and
then reset the BIOS with a jumper move (check your mobo docs for
location of the jumper). Then install...and who knows what will happen...

M÷nžig˝or ▀oddoM
January 21st 07, 12:39 AM
Lukas Mariman wrote:
> "Lukas Mariman" > schreef in bericht
>> "Mr.E Solved!" > schreef in bericht
>> . ..

>>> Yup, that mystery patch is suspect. I bet a PCI device is found near the
>>> scene of the crime as well.
>>>
>>> Don't forget to inspect your device tree, including hidden devices, to
>>> make sure there isn't a conflict. it's definitely a hardware device
>>> issue, only those devices interact with windows and the BIOS that way.
>>>
>>> Have you tried "F8"-ing to a last known good configuration? Perchance a
>>> System Restore point?
>> Not yet; perhaps I should try that.
>>
>> Thanks for the help!
>
> FWIW, I don't see any hardware conflicts (or at least Windows doesn't report
> any) but I did see that IRQ 18 is being shared between my 6600GT card and my
> audio card, a Creative Audigy LS.

now that is probably where the problem lies. Not knowing what your other
IRQ's are assigned to, I would suggest switching the audio card to an
IRQ that is either open or being used by a device that is little used.
Go here to view what you got going on.

Device Manager>View>Resources By Connection
(also put a check by view hidden devices in the same drop down).