PDA

View Full Version : Bought a used GeForce2 MX400 64 MB, wont install on XP

GS
January 17th 07, 07:12 AM
I just picked up one of these used, the seller said it was a working
pull and the price was cheap enough I though what the hell, and I need a
64mb card in order to run a game my kids got under the tree. The machine
is an IBM net vista P3 running XP pro with 1/2 gig ram, and when I
installed the new card I get nothing on the monitor when I restart. The
machine had a 16mb nvidia card on it, so I uninstalled that driver and
tried it again with the new one, still a blank screen. So I installed
another asus 32mb card I had lying around and it started up no problem
with the xp driver, same thing with the original card.

Did I get a dud here? or is there something I need to install on xp
before I install this card? I tried to install the driver from the
nvidia site before shutting down, but it says it wont install because
the proper card is not in, kind of a catch-22 here.

Am I missing something here?

thanks in advance!

M÷nžig˝or ▀oddoM
January 17th 07, 07:24 AM
GS wrote:
> I just picked up one of these used, the seller said it was a working
> pull and the price was cheap enough I though what the hell, and I need a
> 64mb card in order to run a game my kids got under the tree. The machine
> is an IBM net vista P3 running XP pro with 1/2 gig ram, and when I
> installed the new card I get nothing on the monitor when I restart. The
> machine had a 16mb nvidia card on it, so I uninstalled that driver and
> tried it again with the new one, still a blank screen. So I installed
> another asus 32mb card I had lying around and it started up no problem
> with the xp driver, same thing with the original card.
>
> Did I get a dud here? or is there something I need to install on xp
> before I install this card? I tried to install the driver from the
> nvidia site before shutting down, but it says it wont install because
> the proper card is not in, kind of a catch-22 here.
>
> Am I missing something here?
>

> thanks in advance!

Sounds like a dud.

Larry Roberts
January 17th 07, 10:54 AM
On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 06:12:51 GMT, GS > wrote:

>I just picked up one of these used, the seller said it was a working
>pull and the price was cheap enough I though what the hell, and I need a
>64mb card in order to run a game my kids got under the tree. The machine
>is an IBM net vista P3 running XP pro with 1/2 gig ram, and when I
>installed the new card I get nothing on the monitor when I restart. The
>machine had a 16mb nvidia card on it, so I uninstalled that driver and
>tried it again with the new one, still a blank screen. So I installed
>another asus 32mb card I had lying around and it started up no problem
>with the xp driver, same thing with the original card.
>
>Did I get a dud here? or is there something I need to install on xp
>before I install this card? I tried to install the driver from the
>nvidia site before shutting down, but it says it wont install because
>the proper card is not in, kind of a catch-22 here.
>
>Am I missing something here?
>

>thanks in advance!

Think you got a dud, but you never know. My niece has an old
Celeron 1.1Ghz with 512MB SDRAM. It's been running WinXP Pro with a
Geforce 2 MX400 64MB AGP for a few years, or so with no problem. I
have an old Geforce 4 Ti4400 128MB AGP that I was gona put into an
AthlonXP 1900+ system. Could not make it boot with it's mainboard (MSI
6382 v1 OEM). Even installed a 650W PSU with 34A on the +12v rail.
Still no boot. Decided to install the GeForce 4 Ti4400 into my niece's
Celeron 1.1Ghz machine, and it works fine. Even though it has an old
6yr old 300W cheap PSU.
The MSI 6382 v1 will however work fine with a Geforce 6600GT
128MB AGP. Guess the mainboard just doesn't like the Geforce 4 Ti4400.
Could be your mainboard will not work with the Geforce 2 MX400. Can
you try the card in another mainboard?

GS
January 17th 07, 06:46 PM
Larry Roberts wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 06:12:51 GMT, GS > wrote:
>

>>I just picked up one of these used, the seller said it was a working
>>pull and the price was cheap enough I though what the hell, and I need a
>>64mb card in order to run a game my kids got under the tree. The machine
>>is an IBM net vista P3 running XP pro with 1/2 gig ram, and when I
>>installed the new card I get nothing on the monitor when I restart. The
>>machine had a 16mb nvidia card on it, so I uninstalled that driver and
>>tried it again with the new one, still a blank screen. So I installed
>>another asus 32mb card I had lying around and it started up no problem
>>with the xp driver, same thing with the original card.
>>
>>Did I get a dud here? or is there something I need to install on xp
>>before I install this card? I tried to install the driver from the
>>nvidia site before shutting down, but it says it wont install because
>>the proper card is not in, kind of a catch-22 here.
>>
>>Am I missing something here?
>>

>>thanks in advance!
>

> Think you got a dud, but you never know. My niece has an old
> Celeron 1.1Ghz with 512MB SDRAM. It's been running WinXP Pro with a
> Geforce 2 MX400 64MB AGP for a few years, or so with no problem. I
> have an old Geforce 4 Ti4400 128MB AGP that I was gona put into an
> AthlonXP 1900+ system. Could not make it boot with it's mainboard (MSI
> 6382 v1 OEM). Even installed a 650W PSU with 34A on the +12v rail.
> Still no boot. Decided to install the GeForce 4 Ti4400 into my niece's
> Celeron 1.1Ghz machine, and it works fine. Even though it has an old
> 6yr old 300W cheap PSU.
> The MSI 6382 v1 will however work fine with a Geforce 6600GT
> 128MB AGP. Guess the mainboard just doesn't like the Geforce 4 Ti4400.
> Could be your mainboard will not work with the Geforce 2 MX400. Can
> you try the card in another mainboard?

No, but I will tonight. The seller said it was working fine when he
pulled it, and he has an excellent rating, so I think it was a good
card. I'll try and stick it in a compaq I have and see what happens. I
just had trouble with another IBM net vista, a p4, that would only load
a very basic vga driver for its card and nothing at all for the network
card, usb etc, I had to download drivers with a separate machine and
install them, so perhaps its just the IBM

M÷nžig˝or ▀oddoM
January 17th 07, 09:39 PM
GS wrote:
> Larry Roberts wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 06:12:51 GMT, GS > wrote:
>>

>>> I just picked up one of these used, the seller said it was a working
>>> pull and the price was cheap enough I though what the hell, and I
>>> need a 64mb card in order to run a game my kids got under the tree.
>>> The machine is an IBM net vista P3 running XP pro with 1/2 gig ram,
>>> and when I installed the new card I get nothing on the monitor when I
>>> restart. The machine had a 16mb nvidia card on it, so I uninstalled
>>> that driver and tried it again with the new one, still a blank
>>> screen. So I installed another asus 32mb card I had lying around and
>>> it started up no problem with the xp driver, same thing with the
>>> original card.
>>>
>>> Did I get a dud here? or is there something I need to install on xp
>>> before I install this card? I tried to install the driver from the
>>> nvidia site before shutting down, but it says it wont install because
>>> the proper card is not in, kind of a catch-22 here.
>>>
>>> Am I missing something here?
>>>

>>> thanks in advance!
>>

>> Think you got a dud, but you never know. My niece has an old
>> Celeron 1.1Ghz with 512MB SDRAM. It's been running WinXP Pro with a
>> Geforce 2 MX400 64MB AGP for a few years, or so with no problem. I
>> have an old Geforce 4 Ti4400 128MB AGP that I was gona put into an
>> AthlonXP 1900+ system. Could not make it boot with it's mainboard (MSI
>> 6382 v1 OEM). Even installed a 650W PSU with 34A on the +12v rail.
>> Still no boot. Decided to install the GeForce 4 Ti4400 into my niece's
>> Celeron 1.1Ghz machine, and it works fine. Even though it has an old
>> 6yr old 300W cheap PSU. The MSI 6382 v1 will however work fine
>> with a Geforce 6600GT
>> 128MB AGP. Guess the mainboard just doesn't like the Geforce 4 Ti4400.
>> Could be your mainboard will not work with the Geforce 2 MX400. Can
>> you try the card in another mainboard?
>
> No, but I will tonight. The seller said it was working fine when he
> pulled it, and he has an excellent rating, so I think it was a good
> card. I'll try and stick it in a compaq I have and see what happens. I
> just had trouble with another IBM net vista, a p4, that would only load
> a very basic vga driver for its card and nothing at all for the network
> card, usb etc, I had to download drivers with a separate machine and
> install them, so perhaps its just the IBM

you could be right about the IBM thing. Perhaps get down to the part
number on the mainboard. Often IBM utilizes third party vendors for
parts and you can find better drivers directly from the manufacturer.
Just a thought. (HP also does this, and I have resolved problems this
way as well.)

GS
January 19th 07, 07:32 PM
M÷nžig˝or ▀oddoM wrote:
> GS wrote:
>
>> Larry Roberts wrote:

>>> Think you got a dud, but you never know. My niece has an old
>>> Celeron 1.1Ghz with 512MB SDRAM. It's been running WinXP Pro with a
>>> Geforce 2 MX400 64MB AGP for a few years, or so with no problem. I
>>> have an old Geforce 4 Ti4400 128MB AGP that I was gona put into an
>>> AthlonXP 1900+ system. Could not make it boot with it's mainboard (MSI
>>> 6382 v1 OEM). Even installed a 650W PSU with 34A on the +12v rail.
>>> Still no boot. Decided to install the GeForce 4 Ti4400 into my niece's
>>> Celeron 1.1Ghz machine, and it works fine. Even though it has an old
>>> 6yr old 300W cheap PSU. The MSI 6382 v1 will however work fine
>>> with a Geforce 6600GT
>>> 128MB AGP. Guess the mainboard just doesn't like the Geforce 4 Ti4400.
>>> Could be your mainboard will not work with the Geforce 2 MX400. Can
>>> you try the card in another mainboard?
>>

>> No, but I will tonight. The seller said it was working fine when he
>> pulled it, and he has an excellent rating, so I think it was a good
>> card. I'll try and stick it in a compaq I have and see what happens. I
>> just had trouble with another IBM net vista, a p4, that would only
>> load a very basic vga driver for its card and nothing at all for the
>> network card, usb etc, I had to download drivers with a separate
>> machine and install them, so perhaps its just the IBM
>>
> you could be right about the IBM thing. Perhaps get down to the part
> number on the mainboard. Often IBM utilizes third party vendors for
> parts and you can find better drivers directly from the manufacturer.
> Just a thought. (HP also does this, and I have resolved problems this
> way as well.)

I tried it in a clone and it works fine, so it must be the IBM
I have a buyer for it though that bought a game for her kids that calls
for a 64mb card that has geforce 3 or ati 8500 chipset or better, but
geforce 4MX cards are not supported. I initially thought this one would
not work as its an MX400 but then I noticed its a geforce 2, so perhaps
it will? (the game is lord of the rings battle for middle earth)

thanks

Larry Roberts
January 20th 07, 09:57 AM
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:32:26 GMT, GS > wrote:

>M÷nžig˝or ▀oddoM wrote:
>> GS wrote:

>>> No, but I will tonight. The seller said it was working fine when he
>>> pulled it, and he has an excellent rating, so I think it was a good
>>> card. I'll try and stick it in a compaq I have and see what happens. I
>>> just had trouble with another IBM net vista, a p4, that would only
>>> load a very basic vga driver for its card and nothing at all for the
>>> network card, usb etc, I had to download drivers with a separate
>>> machine and install them, so perhaps its just the IBM
>>>
>> you could be right about the IBM thing. Perhaps get down to the part
>> number on the mainboard. Often IBM utilizes third party vendors for
>> parts and you can find better drivers directly from the manufacturer.
>> Just a thought. (HP also does this, and I have resolved problems this
>> way as well.)
>
>I tried it in a clone and it works fine, so it must be the IBM
>I have a buyer for it though that bought a game for her kids that calls
>for a 64mb card that has geforce 3 or ati 8500 chipset or better, but
>geforce 4MX cards are not supported. I initially thought this one would
>not work as its an MX400 but then I noticed its a geforce 2, so perhaps
>it will? (the game is lord of the rings battle for middle earth)
>

>thanks

I'm not familiar with that game, but since it says it needs at
least a GF3, or Radeon 8500 GPU, and that the GF4 MX wouldn't work,
then no GF2 series card will work either. That game must require pixel
shader featured videocards. The GF2 series cards do not have pixel
shader GPUs, and while the GF4 Ti series do Pixel Shader 1.1 support ,
the GF4 MX cards do not. They are just beefed up GF2 cards. Then
again, the GF2 Ti/Pro/Ultra are problably faster than the GF4 MX420, &
MX440 cards.