PDA

View Full Version : Automatically apply contrast/brightness settings?

John Doe
January 12th 07, 02:58 AM
I just bought a 7950 GT and would like to automatically apply contrast
and brightness settings when I play a game.

Would be nice to be able to apply custom settings for full-screen
games, but all I see is "desktop", "full screen video", "overlay", and
"all". Apparently none are specifically for full-screen games.

Is there a way to automatically apply custom contrast and brightness
settings for full screen games or for individual games? Or is the
workaround to make a custom setting and manually switch to that while
playing a game? When doing that and switching back to the desktop, it's
too bright.

Thank you.

heycarnut
January 12th 07, 06:39 AM
John Doe wrote:
> I just bought a 7950 GT and would like to automatically apply contrast ...
> Is there a way to automatically apply custom contrast and brightness
> settings for full screen games or for individual games?

Yes the nvidia game profiles can have settings for
color/brightness/contrast/gamma/shrpness/etc.

You associate the game with one, and the settings are applied
automatically when you start the game.

However, this does not always work. Sometimes, the nvidia functionality
doesn't 'catch' that you've started the app, and the settings aren't
applied (same thing can happen sometimes with the ATI profile feature,
so I don't think its an nvidia issue.)

Another problem is that some games do a complete reset of the GPU
settings when they start, and some when each new map or level is
loaded.
This will completely negate any changes made by the automatic driver
settings.

I use a cool little application built by a talented contributor at
MP3car.com called gammacontrol. Just do a google search for
gammacontrol, you should find it easily.
I posted a feature request to the author to have the application
'refresh' the desired settings at user specified intervals, which was
put into the app soon after.
This allows gammacontrol to work with games and applications that reset
the gpu settings on starts/reloads.

You can change the shortcut to your game, or use a tiny batch file, to
start gammacontrol, then the game, then exit gammacontrol.

Hope this helps,
Rob

heycarnut
January 12th 07, 06:40 AM
John Doe wrote:
> I just bought a 7950 GT and would like to automatically apply contrast ...
> Is there a way to automatically apply custom contrast and brightness
> settings for full screen games or for individual games?

Yes the nvidia game profiles can have settings for
color/brightness/contrast/gamma/sharpness/etc.

[...]

Mr.E Solved!
January 12th 07, 08:51 AM
John Doe wrote:
> I just bought a 7950 GT and would like to automatically apply contrast
> and brightness settings when I play a game.
>
> Would be nice to be able to apply custom settings for full-screen
> games, but all I see is "desktop", "full screen video", "overlay", and
> "all". Apparently none are specifically for full-screen games.
>
> Is there a way to automatically apply custom contrast and brightness
> settings for full screen games or for individual games? Or is the
> workaround to make a custom setting and manually switch to that while
> playing a game? When doing that and switching back to the desktop, it's
> too bright.
>
> Thank you.

http://www.nhancer.com/

One of nHancers many features, is color scheme management for individual
programs/games.

John Doe
January 12th 07, 09:34 AM
"heycarnut" > wrote:

> Yes the nvidia game profiles

Can you specify a path? I see nothing about "game profiles".

Are you talking about Desktop Management -- Profiles? Then how do
you import Color Correction settings into Profiles?

Are there instructions someplace?

Thanks for bearing with me. I'm an expert Windows user not easily
confused by settings, but this one's got me baffled.

> Hope this helps,
> Rob

Mr.E Solved!
January 12th 07, 10:38 AM
John Doe wrote:
> "heycarnut" > wrote:
>
>> Yes the nvidia game profiles
>
> Can you specify a path? I see nothing about "game profiles".
>
> Are you talking about Desktop Management -- Profiles? Then how do
> you import Color Correction settings into Profiles?
>
> Are there instructions someplace?
>
> Thanks for bearing with me. I'm an expert Windows user not easily
> confused by settings, but this one's got me baffled.

Odd and bad news all at once, nHancer v2.1.0 reports:

"The latest Forceware drivers (9x.xx and later) don't support color
schemes in profiles anymore."

I used color schemes for OpenGL games, I'm perplexed, since testing
shows them to look the same with the affected drivers. <shrug>

Conor
January 12th 07, 11:44 AM
In article >, Mr.E Solved!
says...
> John Doe wrote:
> > "heycarnut" > wrote:
> >
> >> Yes the nvidia game profiles
> >
> > Can you specify a path? I see nothing about "game profiles".
> >
> > Are you talking about Desktop Management -- Profiles? Then how do
> > you import Color Correction settings into Profiles?
> >
> > Are there instructions someplace?
> >
> > Thanks for bearing with me. I'm an expert Windows user not easily
> > confused by settings, but this one's got me baffled.
> >

> Odd and bad news all at once, nHancer v2.1.0 reports:
>
> "The latest Forceware drivers (9x.xx and later) don't support color
> schemes in profiles anymore."

Drop back a version or two until they do.

--
Conor

If you're not on somebody's **** list, you're not doing anything
worthwhile.

John Doe
January 12th 07, 12:16 PM
"Mr.E Solved!" > wrote:

> John Doe wrote:
>> "heycarnut" > wrote:
>>
>>> Yes the nvidia game profiles
>>
>> Can you specify a path? I see nothing about "game profiles".
>>
>> Are you talking about Desktop Management -- Profiles? Then how do
>> you import Color Correction settings into Profiles?
>>
>> Are there instructions someplace?
>>
>> Thanks for bearing with me. I'm an expert Windows user not easily
>> confused by settings, but this one's got me baffled.
>>

> Odd and bad news all at once,

I think it's stunning.

> nHancer v2.1.0 reports:
>
> "The latest Forceware drivers (9x.xx and later) don't support
> color schemes in profiles anymore."

I think I found where it's supposed to be. Attempting to use it
wasn't going very well. Maybe they disabled it without removing the
dialogues.

Oh well, who plays computer games anyway :o/

What explanation could NVIDIA have for providing hundreds of desktop
settings for everything except something as obvious, fundamental,
and well-known as adjusting brightness/contrast/gamma settings for
gaming? Something similar to what an amateur programmer offers as
freeware? Go figure.

After lots of digging, I found what might be a relevant settings
path.

Right-click desktop -- NVIDIA Display -- select the display --
left-hand pane, Desktop Management -- Hot Keys -- Misc -- Load
profile

So I (repeatedly) assigned a hotkey for loading a profile, then
saved it and closed the dialogue. Then when I used the hotkey to
load that profile, instead of loading a profile, it deleted all of
the hot keys in the list.

However, that same location (Desktop Settings instead of Misc)
allows for assigning hot keys to brightness, contrast, and gamma.
Apparently it works without deleting itself. Also, it allows a
hotkey for resetting those three attributes to defaults like when
switching back to the desktop from a game. If those three monitor
settings can be reset with a hotkey, they should be as easily set to
your predefined preferences with a hotkey.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks.

> I used color schemes for OpenGL games, I'm perplexed, since
> testing shows them to look the same with the affected drivers.
> <shrug>

Folk
January 12th 07, 08:15 PM
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:16:55 GMT, John Doe >
wrote:

>What explanation could NVIDIA have for providing hundreds of desktop
>settings for everything except something as obvious, fundamental,
>and well-known as adjusting brightness/contrast/gamma settings for
>gaming? Something similar to what an amateur programmer offers as
>freeware? Go figure.

I don't play a lot of computer games, but the ones I do play (mainly
Epic and ID created games) have sufficient brightness/contrast/gamma
in-game settings that I've never had to resort to overriding them with
profile options. I do use Nvidia's game profiles to control things
such as v-sync and anistropic filtering and that's always worked quite
well. As far as I know, Nvidia's profiles have never had the ability
to change brightness/contrast/gamma in games.

Mr.E Solved!
January 12th 07, 10:25 PM
John Doe wrote:

> What explanation could NVIDIA have for providing hundreds of desktop
> settings for everything except something as obvious, fundamental,
> and well-known as adjusting brightness/contrast/gamma settings for
> gaming? Something similar to what an amateur programmer offers as
> freeware? Go figure.

They do provide numerous other settings, specific to Image Quality,
including advanced color and hue controls. to provide individual
profiles per application doesn't seem to hard.

But then again, look at the extraordinary nonsense you have to go
through to get game profiles working with just the forceware suite.

I'm not sure why the settings only take after the 4th or 5th "ok", and
apply never works.

> After lots of digging, I found what might be a relevant settings
> path.
>
> Right-click desktop -- NVIDIA Display -- select the display --
> left-hand pane, Desktop Management -- Hot Keys -- Misc -- Load
> profile
>
> So I (repeatedly) assigned a hotkey for loading a profile, then
> saved it and closed the dialogue. Then when I used the hotkey to
> load that profile, instead of loading a profile, it deleted all of
> the hot keys in the list.
>
> However, that same location (Desktop Settings instead of Misc)
> allows for assigning hot keys to brightness, contrast, and gamma.
> Apparently it works without deleting itself. Also, it allows a
> hotkey for resetting those three attributes to defaults like when
> switching back to the desktop from a game. If those three monitor
> settings can be reset with a hotkey, they should be as easily set to
> your predefined preferences with a hotkey.

You are a brave and diligent soul, while it's true many games have
sufficient visual settings to brighten things up, specific brightness
ramps (avoiding that awful linear gain) for each application would be
perfect.

For example, fixing the astonishingly bad shadow to bight area
transitions in BF2. That game needs customizing desperately, or HDR,
either would work!

If you get it working, put some instructions together, and you can post
it to Digg and help out a lot of peeps!

John Doe
January 13th 07, 12:00 AM
Folk <Folk folk.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:16:55 GMT, John Doe <jdoe
> usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
>
>>What explanation could NVIDIA have for providing hundreds of
>>desktop settings for everything except something as obvious,
>>fundamental, and well-known as adjusting brightness/contrast/gamma
>>settings for gaming? Something similar to what an amateur
>>programmer offers as freeware? Go figure.
>
> I don't play a lot of computer games,

After work related applications, gaming on a PC is a hugely popular
activity. And of course NVIDIA knows that.

> but the ones I do play (mainly
> Epic and ID created games) have sufficient
> brightness/contrast/gamma in-game settings

Many games do not. Insufficient brightness/gamma is an age-old, very
well known problem among the mass of personal computer gamers.

> that I've never had to resort to overriding them with
> profile options. I do use Nvidia's game profiles to control
> things such as v-sync and anistropic filtering and that's always
> worked quite well. As far as I know, Nvidia's profiles have never
> had the ability to change brightness/contrast/gamma in games.

I think that's a gross oversight, especially for a company that
supposed to be geared towards gamers.

Maybe NVIDIA programmers are all Indians pushed around by clueless
managers nowadays.

I like NVIDIA drivers, but it's a simple programming task that
shouldn't be overlooked and should be included. Why on earth would
they have brightness customization for Overlay and Full-Screen Video
and not have it for Full-Screen Games?

Good luck and have fun.

> From: Folk <Folk folk.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
> Subject: Re: Automatically apply contrast/brightness settings?
> Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:15:48 -0500

DRS
January 13th 07, 05:40 AM
"Mr.E Solved!" > wrote in message

[...]

> But then again, look at the extraordinary nonsense you have to go
> through to get game profiles working with just the forceware suite.
>
> I'm not sure why the settings only take after the 4th or 5th "ok", and
> apply never works.

I reckon there's a psychology thesis for someone in this. Nvidia knows full
well its cards are popular with gamers. Nvidia knows full well game
(application) profiles are important to gamers. Nvidia's every attempt at
implementing application profiles has sucked.

I did my tiny little bit by writing Nvidia a mini-essay on this the last
usability survey I did but there's obviously some corporate mental block
about it. Maybe they're relying on nHancer. Who knows?

John Doe
January 13th 07, 10:09 AM
I wrote:

> After lots of digging, I found what might be a relevant settings
> path.
>
> Right-click desktop -- NVIDIA Display -- select the display --
> left-hand pane, Desktop Management -- Hot Keys
> allows for assigning hot keys to brightness, contrast, and gamma.

But, in order to see Hot Keys, you must first enable nView Desktop
Management.

If you do systemwide macroing you could send the appropriate display
adjustment shortcut keys with one activator.

Good luck and have fun.