PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Armada E500 power-on password

mitnik
January 10th 07, 08:33 PM
I have 2 same Compaq Armada E500 laptops.
In one of them i lost the power-on password and i can't turn it on.
What can i do?

--
mitnik
mitnik's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=512

Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.in

- Bobb -
January 12th 07, 03:02 AM
"mitnik" > wrote in message

> I have 2 same Compaq Armada E500 laptops.
> In one of them i lost the power-on password and i can't turn it on.
> What can i do?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_170045-002/TPM_170045-002.pdf

page 126
If You Forget Your Power-On Password

IMPORTANT: You cannot use the computer if you forget your power-on
password. Therefore, Compaq recommends that you record your password and
put it in a safe place. If you forget your power-on password, the
computer must be disassembled and the memory cleared. Contact your
Compaq authorized dealer, reseller, or service provider for assistance.

BEFORE YOU DO send it in , ASK this question - " will I get MY disk
drive back ? with the data on it ? " It USED to be that you needed to be
the registered owner to even have them do it. SO that I couldn't steal
yours/send it in and get back a "good pc". I used to work in the field
and had a customer send in it once. (someone was fired and when they
went to wipe the PC discovered a power-on pwd.) As I'm typing , I think
I remember that he got back a blank drive (not even an OS on it) I
did ask the factory how/if I could do it - their answer = " No, send it
in". Maybe they removed the drive and raw formatted it elsewhere and
reinserted ?

Did you swap drives between the laptops ? - problem follow the drive ?

mitnik
January 12th 07, 11:40 AM

--
mitnik
mitnik's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=512
View this thread: http://www.futurehardware.in/showthread.php?t=564213

Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.in

jerome
January 12th 07, 06:43 PM
- Bobb - a écrit:

> "mitnik" > wrote in message
>

>> I have 2 same Compaq Armada E500 laptops.
>> In one of them i lost the power-on password and i can't turn it on.
>> What can i do?
>

> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_170045-002/TPM_170045-002.pdf
>

> Did you swap drives between the laptops ? - problem follow the drive ?
>
>Thats totally useless: the password is stored in a flash memory. Without the PW, you can not even boot on a floppy.

- Bobb -
January 12th 07, 07:58 PM
"jerome" > wrote in message
> - Bobb - a écrit:
>> "mitnik" > wrote in message

>>> I have 2 same Compaq Armada E500 laptops.
>>> In one of them i lost the power-on password and i can't turn it on.
>>> What can i do?
>>

>> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_170045-002/TPM_170045-002.pdf
>> Did you swap drives between the laptops ? - problem follow the drive
>> ?
>> Thats totally useless: the password is stored in a flash memory.
>> Without the PW, you can not even boot on a floppy.

May be - but I found it strange that my cutomer had his hard drive wiped
when he got it back, so thought maybe something on the drive telling it
to ( not) look at flash. I figured - it would still be protecting
drive - worth a shot. Also, if nothing on drive what prevents me from
taking your drive from a password protected PC and putting it into a
non-password protected PC to get at your confidential data ? I thought
THAT's why they had to wipe it .

mitnik
January 13th 07, 02:10 PM
Ok.
I find it.
This is the solution.
1)Disconnect power cable and remove laptop battery, 2)remove Bios or
CMOS battery from indide,3) leave for 1-2 mins, 4)connect power cable
without laptop battery and reboot.
No power-on password anymore.

Thank you all.

--
mitnik
mitnik's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=512
View this thread: http://www.futurehardware.in/showthread.php?t=564213

Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.in

- Bobb -
January 13th 07, 07:34 PM
"mitnik" > wrote in message

> Ok.
> I find it.
> This is the solution.
> 1)Disconnect power cable and remove laptop battery, 2)remove Bios or
> CMOS battery from indide,3) leave for 1-2 mins, 4)connect power cable
> without laptop battery and reboot.
> No power-on password anymore.
>
> Thank you all.

I'm glad that worked , but surprised it was that simple to get around
it. Defeats the whole purpose of using pwd protection.

jerome
January 13th 07, 07:41 PM
- Bobb - a écrit:

> "mitnik" > wrote in message
>

>> Ok.
>> I find it.
>> This is the solution.
>> 1)Disconnect power cable and remove laptop battery, 2)remove Bios or
>> CMOS battery from indide,3) leave for 1-2 mins, 4)connect power cable
>> without laptop battery and reboot.
>> No power-on password anymore.
>>
>> Thank you all.
>>
> I'm glad that worked , but surprised it was that simple to get around
> it. Defeats the whole purpose of using pwd protection.

I'm surprised too, I had an Armada 7800 on which I had to replace the
mobo because of power on PW.
After letting it for a month without any battery (main or CMOS) it would
not boot. Perhaps some customers complained about that?

mitnik
January 13th 07, 08:54 PM
This does not work in new laptop because they have ''password chip'' in
motheboard and must replace it with a new.
Password chip don't need any battery.

--
mitnik
mitnik's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=512
View this thread: http://www.futurehardware.in/showthread.php?t=564213

Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.in

- Bobb -
January 14th 07, 05:58 PM
"mitnik" > wrote in message

> This does not work in new laptop because they have ''password chip''
> in
> motheboard and must replace it with a new.
> Password chip don't need any battery.
>

> --
> mitnik

So did you fix it or not ?

mitnik
January 14th 07, 07:57 PM
I clear the power-on password because my laptop is old and does not have
password chip.