PDA

View Full Version : Armada E700 Reinstall XP Home

Terry Smythe
January 9th 07, 07:47 PM
I'm reinstalling WinXP into an Armada E700 laptop for a friend. It had
got messed up pretty bad, so had to reformat the hard drive and start from
scratch.

The Compaq LAN drivers (SP22996) will not install because "...there is no
Intel Network Driver..."

Intel's network driver will not install because "...there is no Intel Pro
Adapter..."

I'm stuck in a loop. Can't get WinXP into Auto Update until the LAN is
working.

Suggestions?

Regards,

Terry Smythe
Winnipeg, Canada

HH
January 10th 07, 05:28 AM
Best bet - Call Compaq and get the Quickrestore CDs for the notebook.

HH

"Terry Smythe" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I'm reinstalling WinXP into an Armada E700 laptop for a friend. It had
> got messed up pretty bad, so had to reformat the hard drive and start from
> scratch.
>
> The Compaq LAN drivers (SP22996) will not install because "...there is no
> Intel Network Driver..."
>
> Intel's network driver will not install because "...there is no Intel Pro
> Adapter..."
>
> I'm stuck in a loop. Can't get WinXP into Auto Update until the LAN is
> working.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Regards,
>
> Terry Smythe
> Winnipeg, Canada

- Bobb -
January 12th 07, 02:46 AM
> "Terry Smythe" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> I'm reinstalling WinXP into an Armada E700 laptop for a friend. It
>> had got messed up pretty bad, so had to reformat the hard drive and
>> start from scratch.
>>
>> The Compaq LAN drivers (SP22996) will not install because "...there
>> is no Intel Network Driver..."
>>
>> Intel's network driver will not install because "...there is no Intel
>> Pro Adapter..."
>>
>> I'm stuck in a loop. Can't get WinXP into Auto Update until the LAN
>> is working.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Terry Smythe
>> Winnipeg, Canada

Did you format the C partition ( leaving D there ? with the factory
stuff )
Or did you format the entire drive ?
Does he have a quickrestore CD ? If D is still Ok - boot from that CD.
If you wiped drive, from another system , go to Compaq.com - search
for your model - downloads - save all the drivers - burn to a cd and pop
into E700 - copy it all to a DRIVERS folder on C and point XP there for
the drivers. Save the Cd for next time.

January 12th 07, 08:02 AM
Terry Smythe wrote:
> I'm reinstalling WinXP into an Armada E700 laptop for a friend. It had
> got messed up pretty bad, so had to reformat the hard drive and start from
> scratch.
>
> The Compaq LAN drivers (SP22996) will not install because "...there is no
> Intel Network Driver..."
>
> Intel's network driver will not install because "...there is no Intel Pro
> Adapter..."
>
> I'm stuck in a loop. Can't get WinXP into Auto Update until the LAN is
> working.
>
> Suggestions?

Download net driver onto a CD or usb keys. install it. Away you go.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=96719&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=96233&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1098#11395

> Regards,
>
> Terry Smythe
> Winnipeg, Canada

Terry Smythe
January 12th 07, 10:26 PM
"Terry Smythe" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I'm reinstalling WinXP into an Armada E700 laptop for a friend.

Turns out this computer does not have a LAN/dial-Up adapter board installed
in it all. Somebody uncovered the LAN port leading everybody to believe
there is/was LAN capability. The option of course is a LAN PC card.

Also turns out that the WinXP SP1 disk he used was legal, but for another
computer. 'nuff said....

At 400mhz with only 128 megs memory, trying to get WinXP SP2 into it turned
out to be an exercise in futility. We ended up reformatting his little
hard drive, reinstalling WinME as it once was, and restored all his files
from the backup. All is well, as it once was.

Lesson learned - don't try to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

Regards and many thanks for the help offered, appreciated.

Terry Smythe
Winnipeg, Canada