PDA

View Full Version : Buggy Presario


henry
January 8th 07, 02:24 AM
Any help with these bugs, either causes or solutions?

1610 Presario 80mb ram.


system freezes requiring hard reboot when touchpad cursor is moved at same
time as keystroke. win98se system reports no conflicts. hardware
acceleration already set to lowest.

battery and system interaction very screwy. can never tell if juice in
batter and system seems to enter sleep mode even when there is juice in
battery. battery gauge makes no sense. reports 100% and system will shut
down in 2 min.

cd controls at the top do not work; finally how do you control speaker
volume on this laptop?

HH
January 8th 07, 04:28 PM
An oldie. It shipped with Win 95. Have you installed the Win 98 drivers off
the HP website? specifically the touchpad driver?
IIRC, volume control is available both in Windows via the vol control and
with Fn keys.

HH

"henry" > wrote in message ...
> Any help with these bugs, either causes or solutions?
>
> 1610 Presario 80mb ram.
>
>
> system freezes requiring hard reboot when touchpad cursor is moved at same
> time as keystroke. win98se system reports no conflicts. hardware
> acceleration already set to lowest.
>
> battery and system interaction very screwy. can never tell if juice in
> batter and system seems to enter sleep mode even when there is juice in
> battery. battery gauge makes no sense. reports 100% and system will shut
> down in 2 min.
>
> cd controls at the top do not work; finally how do you control speaker
> volume on this laptop?

January 8th 07, 07:44 PM
henry wrote:
> Any help with these bugs, either causes or solutions?
>
> 1610 Presario 80mb ram.
>
>
> system freezes requiring hard reboot when touchpad cursor is moved at same
> time as keystroke. win98se system reports no conflicts. hardware
> acceleration already set to lowest.
>
Hardware acceleration isn't it.


> battery and system interaction very screwy. can never tell if juice in
> batter and system seems to enter sleep mode even when there is juice in
> battery. battery gauge makes no sense. reports 100% and system will shut
> down in 2 min.
>

Battery is just plain worn out. It's an age of system thing.


> cd controls at the top do not work; finally how do you control speaker
> volume on this laptop?


Anyway, here are a few things to try.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=20&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=95204&lang=en

For the Keyboard/touchpad

Compaq Notebooks Synaptics Touchpad Driver

I think I'd get the 1998 version vs the 2002, for this one.

For the Keyboard/Battery:

Presario 1200/1600/1700/1800/1900 Battery Controller/KBC
Firmware Update


For the CD controls

Presario 1200/1600 Specific Models Fix for CD Controls
(DisqPlay)

For a few other things
Presario 1600 Specific Models System ROM Update

If you're stuck on dialup, you might as well get 56K

Presario Specific Models Modem Driver V.90 Upgrade

Bob
January 8th 07, 11:40 PM
Done right all these updates will fix your problems. BTW even though Compaq
and the manual says 80mb is max it will take 128mb ram.
Bob


> wrote in message
ps.com...
>
> henry wrote:
>> Any help with these bugs, either causes or solutions?
>>
>> 1610 Presario 80mb ram.
>>
>>
>> system freezes requiring hard reboot when touchpad cursor is moved at
>> same
>> time as keystroke. win98se system reports no conflicts. hardware
>> acceleration already set to lowest.
>>
> Hardware acceleration isn't it.
>
>
>> battery and system interaction very screwy. can never tell if juice in
>> batter and system seems to enter sleep mode even when there is juice in
>> battery. battery gauge makes no sense. reports 100% and system will shut
>> down in 2 min.
>>
>
> Battery is just plain worn out. It's an age of system thing.
>
>
>> cd controls at the top do not work; finally how do you control speaker
>> volume on this laptop?
>
>
> Anyway, here are a few things to try.
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=20&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=95204&lang=en
>
> For the Keyboard/touchpad
>
> Compaq Notebooks Synaptics Touchpad Driver
>
> I think I'd get the 1998 version vs the 2002, for this one.
>
> For the Keyboard/Battery:
>
> Presario 1200/1600/1700/1800/1900 Battery Controller/KBC
> Firmware Update
>
>
> For the CD controls
>
> Presario 1200/1600 Specific Models Fix for CD Controls
> (DisqPlay)
>
> For a few other things
> Presario 1600 Specific Models System ROM Update
>
> If you're stuck on dialup, you might as well get 56K
>
> Presario Specific Models Modem Driver V.90 Upgrade
>

henry
January 10th 07, 10:17 PM
"HH" > wrote in
:



> drivers off the HP website? specifically the touchpad driver?

I've got them, but afraid to use them, knowing compaq.
Using ps/2 driver that came with 98se


> IIRC, volume control is available both in Windows via the vol control
> and with Fn keys.

Doesn't work last time I checked(might work now that I upgraded to se,
will have to try). Also talking about the cd switches up not
working-these still don't work.

>
> HH
>

henry
January 10th 07, 10:23 PM
wrote in
ps.com:

>
> henry wrote:
>> Any help with these bugs, either causes or solutions?
>>
>> 1610 Presario 80mb ram.
>>
>>
>> system freezes requiring hard reboot when touchpad cursor is moved at
>> same time as keystroke. win98se system reports no conflicts. hardware
>> acceleration already set to lowest.
>>
> Hardware acceleration isn't it.

I know.

>
>
>> battery and system interaction very screwy. can never tell if juice
>> in batter and system seems to enter sleep mode even when there is
>> juice in battery. battery gauge makes no sense. reports 100% and
>> system will shut down in 2 min.
>>
>
> Battery is just plain worn out. It's an age of system thing.

Battery was hardly ever used, mostly kept out of machine. I think their
battery controller design is faulty.


>
>
>> cd controls at the top do not work; finally how do you control
>> speaker volume on this laptop?
>
>
> Anyway, here are a few things to try.
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=20
&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=e
> n&product=95204&lang=en


Have you actually installed any of these on an win98se presario. Do they
even install properly and work? Frankly I don't trust compaq and I don't
trust HP.


>
> For the Keyboard/touchpad
>
> Compaq Notebooks Synaptics Touchpad Driver
>
> I think I'd get the 1998 version vs the 2002, for this one.
>
> For the Keyboard/Battery:
>
> Presario 1200/1600/1700/1800/1900 Battery Controller/KBC
> Firmware Update
>
>
> For the CD controls
>
> Presario 1200/1600 Specific Models Fix for CD Controls
> (DisqPlay)
>
> For a few other things
> Presario 1600 Specific Models System ROM Update
>
> If you're stuck on dialup, you might as well get 56K
>
> Presario Specific Models Modem Driver V.90 Upgrade


Don't need the modem using wireless. None of the descriptions for these
various firmware upgrades state anything about the problems I've
mentioned in the OP. So why does everyone seem to think they will apply?

henry
January 10th 07, 10:26 PM
"Bob" > wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Done right all these updates will fix your problems. BTW even though
> Compaq and the manual says 80mb is max it will take 128mb ram.
> Bob
>
>

Thanks, but none of the descriptors for these various firmware upgrades
lists any of the problems I posted about as being a fix for.

Have you actually installed any of these on a win98se presario and know
first hand they install properly and work? After my experiences with
Presario I am no longer a fan of either Compaq, nor HP.

On the Ram, can you explain you managed that, since there is only one
slot for memory expansion and the manual says 80MB tops?

Ben Myers
January 10th 07, 11:57 PM
What's to be afraid of? Install the Compaq Win 98 drivers from the HP web
site. That is why they are available to download... Ben Myers

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:17:52 +0100 (CET), henry > wrote:

>"HH" > wrote in
:
>
>
>
>> drivers off the HP website? specifically the touchpad driver?
>
>I've got them, but afraid to use them, knowing compaq.
>Using ps/2 driver that came with 98se
>
>
>> IIRC, volume control is available both in Windows via the vol control
>> and with Fn keys.
>
>Doesn't work last time I checked(might work now that I upgraded to se,
>will have to try). Also talking about the cd switches up not
>working-these still don't work.
>
>>
>> HH
>>

Bob
January 11th 07, 12:52 AM
Yes I did install all of these updates and they did work. On the RAM Compaq
states that the installed memory is not removable but it is and will take
two 64mb modules. It makes it a faster computer and more stable.
Bob



"henry" > wrote in message ...
> "Bob" > wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>> Done right all these updates will fix your problems. BTW even though
>> Compaq and the manual says 80mb is max it will take 128mb ram.
>> Bob
>>
>>
>
> Thanks, but none of the descriptors for these various firmware upgrades
> lists any of the problems I posted about as being a fix for.
>
> Have you actually installed any of these on a win98se presario and know
> first hand they install properly and work? After my experiences with
> Presario I am no longer a fan of either Compaq, nor HP.
>
> On the Ram, can you explain you managed that, since there is only one
> slot for memory expansion and the manual says 80MB tops?

January 11th 07, 05:21 AM
henry wrote:
> "Bob" > wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Done right all these updates will fix your problems. BTW even though
> > Compaq and the manual says 80mb is max it will take 128mb ram.
> > Bob
> >
> >
>
> Thanks, but none of the descriptors for these various firmware upgrades
> lists any of the problems I posted about as being a fix for.

They rarely list anything. It's really annoying.

>
> Have you actually installed any of these on a win98se presario and know
> first hand they install properly and work? After my experiences with
> Presario I am no longer a fan of either Compaq, nor HP.


Not on your exact model , but on similar models, i've found out that
firmware updates very often DO resolve problems.

Since I work at a computer refurbisher and recycler, I often receive
machines that have been given up on by at least 1 technician. Therefor,
i have to look for things that are often missed. Firmware is on that
list. It can make all the difference.

You listed several separate problems, perhaps not all are solvable this
way, but the odds are good that at least one of these firmware updates
will work. And it is the least-cost solution.

Once all the updates are applied, check again to see what problems are
remaining. We can work on those.

If it's NOT just firmware, it's a hardware problem. Which means opening
up the machine, reseating the keyboard connector, diagnosing ram and
hard drive, that sort of thing. But because of the age of your machine,
getting spare parts is often too expensive to be worthwhile.






>
> On the Ram, can you explain you managed that, since there is only one
> slot for memory expansion and the manual says 80MB tops?

Ben Myers
January 11th 07, 05:43 AM
On 10 Jan 2007 20:21:46 -0800, wrote:
<SNIP>
>Since I work at a computer refurbisher and recycler, I often receive
>machines that have been given up on by at least 1 technician.

In which quadrant of the galaxy do you work at a computer refurbisher/recycler?

.... Ben Myers

January 11th 07, 06:03 AM
> Don't need the modem using wireless. None of the descriptions for these
> various firmware upgrades state anything about the problems I've
> mentioned in the OP. So why does everyone seem to think they will apply?

I forgot to answer the question you asked.

Once you start really fixing pcs, and have to hunt down drivers, and
bios updates in particular, you find out that manufacturers rarely
fully document changes. Or only list changes since the previous
revision. Sometimes you just have to try the updates anyway, because
they help often enough. And, your diagnosis becomes simpler. You can at
the very least scratch one item off the list. It's quicker than
ordering new parts (and, particularly, on laptops, because they can be
so fragile, safer than changing them out [actual risk of a firmware
update going wrong and rendering your computer into a boat anchor is
low, most rom update programs have a measure of protection against this
anyway, where you can at least boot a floppy, and re-flash]), this can
save you time, and therefor, your customer's money.


In your case, the alternate diagnosis reads.

"replace keyboard, motherboard, and/or battery"

If you just want an excuse to buy a new laptop, use the alternate
diagnosis to persuade whoever else may have a say in the matter . :)

January 12th 07, 05:47 AM
Ben Myers wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2007 20:21:46 -0800, wrote:
> <SNIP>
> >Since I work at a computer refurbisher and recycler, I often receive
> >machines that have been given up on by at least 1 technician.
>
> In which quadrant of the galaxy do you work at a computer refurbisher/recycler?
>
> ... Ben Myers

Pacific Northwest.