PDA

View Full Version : 1152 x 864 resolutions and graphics cards

Lars-Erik ěsterud
January 5th 07, 10:11 PM
I have found that 1152x864 is the resolution that fits me best (not to
small font, and web pages fit the width even with a bookmark bar open)

My current Ti-4200 support 1024x768, 1152x864 and 1280x1024 in analog
output BUT in digital (DVI) I can only select 1024x768 and 1280x1024

Why is there no support for 1152x864 with digital DVI?
Is this a limitation of the card, the DVI standard or the monitor .INF

And what resolutions does new cards (like the 7600GS and 7600GT)
support? There is no list over supported resolutions anywhere :-(

Do they still support 1152x865 analog? And what about digital DVI?
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
XP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live

DaveW
January 6th 07, 01:09 AM
You never mentioned WHAT monitor you are using. CRT, LCD, make, model?

--
DaveW

----------------
"Lars-Erik ěsterud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.. .
>I have found that 1152x864 is the resolution that fits me best (not to
> small font, and web pages fit the width even with a bookmark bar open)
>
> My current Ti-4200 support 1024x768, 1152x864 and 1280x1024 in analog
> output BUT in digital (DVI) I can only select 1024x768 and 1280x1024
>
> Why is there no support for 1152x864 with digital DVI?
> Is this a limitation of the card, the DVI standard or the monitor .INF
>
> And what resolutions does new cards (like the 7600GS and 7600GT)
> support? There is no list over supported resolutions anywhere :-(
>
> Do they still support 1152x865 analog? And what about digital DVI?
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
> XP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live

Lars-Erik ěsterud
January 6th 07, 06:29 AM
DaveW wrote:

> You never mentioned WHAT monitor you are using. CRT, LCD, make, model?

Samsung SyncMaster 971P LCD, it displays 1024x768, 1152x864 and
1280x1024 with analog cable, but when I plug it in using DVI the
1152x864 disappears from the available resolutions :-(

But since it can display it using analog I see no reason why it
shouldn't in DVI mode. Could it just be left of from the .INF file
(there are separate .INF files for the monitor in analog and DVI)
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
XP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live

KCB
January 6th 07, 02:36 PM
"Lars-Erik ěsterud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
. ..
> DaveW wrote:
>
>> You never mentioned WHAT monitor you are using. CRT, LCD, make,
>> model?
>
> Samsung SyncMaster 971P LCD, it displays 1024x768, 1152x864 and
> 1280x1024 with analog cable, but when I plug it in using DVI the
> 1152x864 disappears from the available resolutions :-(
>
> But since it can display it using analog I see no reason why it
> shouldn't in DVI mode. Could it just be left of from the .INF file
> (there are separate .INF files for the monitor in analog and DVI)

According to Samsung, that monitor's native resolution is 1280x1024, why
would you want to run it at any other setting? I don't use an LCD (my
wife has a 1440x900 LCD), but isn't the native resolution supposed to be
the best display? I know hers doesnt really look very good at any other
setting.

Lars-Erik ěsterud
January 6th 07, 03:42 PM
KCB wrote:

> According to Samsung, that monitor's native resolution is 1280x1024, why
> would you want to run it at any other setting? I don't use an LCD (my

To be able to read the text for one thing :-)

And 1152x864 looks OK (actually the letters get better rounded than
with the build in anti-aliasing stuff that I can remeber the name of
:-)

Yes I can set up the DPI font settings to get larger font.
But lots of programs then start looking weird, and lots of web
pages ignore font settings (and the text will still be small).

> wife has a 1440x900 LCD), but isn't the native resolution supposed to be
> the best display? I know hers doesnt really look very good at any other

My work laptop (15" LCD) has 1600x<something> native. But at that res
you can't read anything (the good thing is that with such a high
native res 1024x768 look real good, so there is noe real problem :-)
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
XP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live

Robert Gault
January 6th 07, 09:20 PM
Lars-Erik ěsterud wrote:
> I have found that 1152x864 is the resolution that fits me best (not to
> small font, and web pages fit the width even with a bookmark bar open)
>
> My current Ti-4200 support 1024x768, 1152x864 and 1280x1024 in analog
> output BUT in digital (DVI) I can only select 1024x768 and 1280x1024
>
> Why is there no support for 1152x864 with digital DVI?
> Is this a limitation of the card, the DVI standard or the monitor .INF
>
> And what resolutions does new cards (like the 7600GS and 7600GT)
> support? There is no list over supported resolutions anywhere :-(
>
> Do they still support 1152x865 analog? And what about digital DVI?

I have the same video card that you have, Ti-4200, and I am responding
to your post at 1152x864x32 resolution. The monitor is a SyncMaster 204B
fed via DVI.

My current nVidia driver for WinXP is 91.47 but previous drivers also
support the resolution you want.

Lars-Erik ěsterud
January 7th 07, 12:22 AM
Robert Gault wrote:

> I have the same video card that you have, Ti-4200, and I am responding
> to your post at 1152x864x32 resolution. The monitor is a SyncMaster 204B
> fed via DVI.

Strange, maybe the monitor INF file for 971P digital (DVI) has an
error, or the driver I used with my Ti-4200 has something wrong.

Have installed a new driver now so I can test that, and I'll look at
det monitor .INF files and see if there are differences (shouldn't be,
wondered why there are separate .INF files for "analog" and "digital")