PDA

View Full Version : Version 96.85 - Should I update driver

John Smith
December 31st 06, 01:06 PM
I have a GIGA N 7600GT GV-NX76T256D-RH R

Are drivers card specific or chipset (or whatever 7600GT is) specific.

I am running this driver installed by MS in the Enterprise shipping version
of Vista:

Current Driver in Windows:
NVIDIA
WDDM
8/21/2006
7.14.10.9686
Windows Vista x86 RC2

NVidia has thtis driver on its site which they say is forward compatible -
if its the same driver, it is later than the one on my system

Beta Driver
Windows Vista x86 RC2
ForceWare Release 95
Version: 96.85
Release Date: October 17, 2006
WHQL Driver

What is WHQL vs. WDDM?

Benjamin Gawert
December 31st 06, 04:00 PM
* John Smith:

> I have a GIGA N 7600GT GV-NX76T256D-RH R
>
> Are drivers card specific or chipset (or whatever 7600GT is) specific.

The card manufacturer is irrelevant. And for the Geforce GPUs there are
unified drivers which are downloadable from the Nvidia site...

> I am running this driver installed by MS in the Enterprise shipping
> version of Vista:
>
> Current Driver in Windows:
> NVIDIA
> WDDM
> 8/21/2006
> 7.14.10.9686
> Windows Vista x86 RC2

That's the RC2 driver for Geforce cards which contains several bugs.

> NVidia has thtis driver on its site which they say is forward compatible
> - if its the same driver, it is later than the one on my system
>
> Beta Driver
> Windows Vista x86 RC2
> ForceWare Release 95
> Version: 96.85
> Release Date: October 17, 2006
> WHQL Driver

These are the current drivers for Vista...

> What is WHQL vs. WDDM?

WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) -> some "quality tests" done at
Microsoft

WDDM (Windows Display Driver Model) -> programming model that is
required by Vista for enhanced functionality (like Aero)

Benjamin

BigJim
December 31st 06, 05:33 PM
if you have a driver that is working with vista leave it be.