PDA

View Full Version : Serious problems with NVIDIA FX5500 + Win98SE


Nebelung
December 29th 06, 09:05 PM
Hello!

I'm running an older PC with Win98SE and SuSE Linux 10.1 in dual-boot (which
worked fine without any serious issues so far). The configuration is:
- AMD Athlon XP 1900+
- Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+ Mainboard with Via chipset
- 1GB RAM
- AGP 2.0 Slot (AGP 4x)

Now, unfortunately my old graphics card (GeForce 3 Ti200, 64MB) completely
passed away (the computer kept just beeping), so I bought a GeForce FX5500
with 128MB. There were no problems installing the card under Linux, the
latest nVidia driver works fine (except for offering me only 75Hz (?) :-( ).

However, under Win98SE, after changing the card I had no chance making the OS
work even with the most recent Win9X-drivers (first Forceware V77.72, then
V81.98). I have now wiped the whole partition and reinstalled Win98SE with
the most recent available Win9X-drivers for the chipset (first tried VIA
4-in-1 V4.43, then went on to VIA HyperionPro V5.10a), since the drivers
originally shipped with the mainboard didn't work either. I have also tried
DirectX 8.1 and 9.0c.
During all my attempts to get Win98SE running, the behavior is strange and
unpredictable with these effects:
- Unexpected halts with black screen while starting Windows
- Message boxes saying that the graphics settings were incorrect ("Either
graphics settings are incorrect or hardware doesn't support the settings")
- Windows temporarily freezing when launching nwiz.exe (killing this task
at least brings up the desktop)
- Windows falling back to 640x480x4 and not letting change the video mode
althouth the FX5500 is set as graphics card
- dxdiag
- etc.
And, after the next machine reboot, the effects may be quite different (no
special order).
I temporarily managed to get one installation running with the Via Hyperion,
DirectX 8.1, and Forceware 77.72 (Direct3D tests worked fine, I could also
change to any resolution). However, after rebooting it didn't work anymore -
the effects listed above occurred. I had also made a partition image of this
"working installation", which, when I restored it, also didn't work anymore -
yet it had worked before once.
The BIOS setting for the AGP aperture size was 128MB for the last years, but
changing it to 64MB didn't help anything as well.

Does anyone have an idea of what's wrong and what to do with the windows
installation? I preferably want to keep Win98SE, because I run some older
software and games. Any hints will be greatly appreciated! I have now spent a
couple of days installing and have run out of ideas...

Thanks in advance!

Andreas

Mr.E Solved!
December 30th 06, 04:22 AM
Nebelung wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm running an older PC with Win98SE and SuSE Linux 10.1 in dual-boot (which
> worked fine without any serious issues so far). The configuration is:
> - AMD Athlon XP 1900+
> - Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+ Mainboard with Via chipset
> - 1GB RAM
> - AGP 2.0 Slot (AGP 4x)
>
> Now, unfortunately my old graphics card (GeForce 3 Ti200, 64MB) completely
> passed away (the computer kept just beeping), so I bought a GeForce FX5500
> with 128MB. There were no problems installing the card under Linux, the
> latest nVidia driver works fine (except for offering me only 75Hz (?) :-( ).
>
> However, under Win98SE, after changing the card I had no chance making the OS
> work even with the most recent Win9X-drivers (first Forceware V77.72, then
> V81.98). I have now wiped the whole partition and reinstalled Win98SE with
> the most recent available Win9X-drivers for the chipset (first tried VIA
> 4-in-1 V4.43, then went on to VIA HyperionPro V5.10a), since the drivers
> originally shipped with the mainboard didn't work either. I have also tried
> DirectX 8.1 and 9.0c.
> During all my attempts to get Win98SE running, the behavior is strange and
> unpredictable with these effects:
> - Unexpected halts with black screen while starting Windows
> - Message boxes saying that the graphics settings were incorrect ("Either
> graphics settings are incorrect or hardware doesn't support the settings")
> - Windows temporarily freezing when launching nwiz.exe (killing this task
> at least brings up the desktop)
> - Windows falling back to 640x480x4 and not letting change the video mode
> althouth the FX5500 is set as graphics card
> - dxdiag
> - etc.
> And, after the next machine reboot, the effects may be quite different (no
> special order).
> I temporarily managed to get one installation running with the Via Hyperion,
> DirectX 8.1, and Forceware 77.72 (Direct3D tests worked fine, I could also
> change to any resolution). However, after rebooting it didn't work anymore -
> the effects listed above occurred. I had also made a partition image of this
> "working installation", which, when I restored it, also didn't work anymore -
> yet it had worked before once.
> The BIOS setting for the AGP aperture size was 128MB for the last years, but
> changing it to 64MB didn't help anything as well.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of what's wrong and what to do with the windows
> installation? I preferably want to keep Win98SE, because I run some older
> software and games. Any hints will be greatly appreciated! I have now spent a
> couple of days installing and have run out of ideas...
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Andreas
>
>

Your troubleshooting and methodology is accurate and thorough, but you
do not mention if you tried these solutions... if they seem rudimentary,
it's not meant in any way other than, "verify that":

1) Your monitor is properly recognized by Windows as make:model, and
that it is being driven properly it terms of sync and refresh rates. Can
you try a a different monitor?

2) Can you get back to your last known-good position? Such as old card,
old boot sequence/partition(s).

3) You mention you wiped the "whole partition" this is suspiciously
worded, since you can't wipe "partial partitions". Did you mean to say
you left other partitions untouched on your HDD during these procedures?
Or you instead wiped the "whole volume" clear of partitions...

4) Verify you have stable current all the way from your socket to your
eyeballs. The 5500FX has a very different electrical profile than the
GeForce3Ti 200. This might cause instability where none existed before.

5) Ensure all nvidia secondary applications are disabled upon windows
starting, such as nwiz and the driver helper service and the control
panel extension. While you may want them enabled later, since they do do
useful things oftentimes, you might want to see if they are a problem.

I suspect you didn't use Driver Cleaner Pro either, also, are you using
BIOS version F5? F6 is later, but it's beta.

Good luck!

Nebelung
December 30th 06, 10:27 AM
Mr.E Solved! wrote:

> Your troubleshooting and methodology is accurate and thorough, but you
> do not mention if you tried these solutions... if they seem rudimentary,
> it's not meant in any way other than, "verify that":
>
> 1) Your monitor is properly recognized by Windows as make:model, and
> that it is being driven properly it terms of sync and refresh rates. Can
> you try a a different monitor?

Yes, the monitor is properly recognized and works fine.

> 2) Can you get back to your last known-good position? Such as old card,
> old boot sequence/partition(s).

Yes and no. The old card is (electrically) broken. The system worked quite
well with an old GeForce 4 Ti 200, which I had borrowed for testing. When I
plugged in the FX5500, the problems came up.

> 3) You mention you wiped the "whole partition" this is suspiciously
> worded, since you can't wipe "partial partitions". Did you mean to say
> you left other partitions untouched on your HDD during these procedures?
> Or you instead wiped the "whole volume" clear of partitions...

Yes, I meant fully formatting the Windows partition, overwriting it with zero
bytes to make sure everything has gone. The other partitions remained
untouched for backup and Linux reasons.

> 4) Verify you have stable current all the way from your socket to your
> eyeballs. The 5500FX has a very different electrical profile than the
> GeForce3Ti 200. This might cause instability where none existed before.

How can I test this?

> 5) Ensure all nvidia secondary applications are disabled upon windows
> starting, such as nwiz and the driver helper service and the control
> panel extension. While you may want them enabled later, since they do do
> useful things oftentimes, you might want to see if they are a problem.

I have tried starting without any Autostart apps by disabling them with
msconfig, yet this didn't solve the problem.

As a new effect: when I tried booting up Win98SE this morning (cold machine?),
it started up flawlessly and let me even switch resolution and the Direct3D
tests ran as well. However, after trying to install a game, Windows started
freezing while the installer was showing me the README file(!). And, after
having to reboot, the old effects occurred again (..."wrong settings" etc.).
Is this of any help?

Thanks in advance!

Nebelung
December 30th 06, 10:37 AM
> 4) Verify you have stable current all the way from your socket to your
> eyeballs. The 5500FX has a very different electrical profile than the
> GeForce3Ti 200. This might cause instability where none existed before.

A Follow-up question: Since I don't have any problems with Linux: doesn't that
rule out stable current issues or possible problems outdated BIOS versions?

Nebelung
December 30th 06, 10:40 AM
Mr.E Solved! wrote:

> Your troubleshooting and methodology is accurate and thorough, but you
> do not mention if you tried these solutions... if they seem rudimentary,
> it's not meant in any way other than, "verify that":
>
> 1) Your monitor is properly recognized by Windows as make:model, and
> that it is being driven properly it terms of sync and refresh rates. Can
> you try a a different monitor?

Yes, the monitor is properly recognized and works fine.

> 2) Can you get back to your last known-good position? Such as old card,
> old boot sequence/partition(s).

Yes and no. The old card is (electrically) broken. The system worked quite
well with an old GeForce 4 Ti 200, which I had borrowed for testing. When I
plugged in the FX5500, the problems came up.

> 3) You mention you wiped the "whole partition" this is suspiciously
> worded, since you can't wipe "partial partitions". Did you mean to say
> you left other partitions untouched on your HDD during these procedures?
> Or you instead wiped the "whole volume" clear of partitions...

Yes, I meant fully formatting the Windows partition, overwriting it with zero
bytes to make sure everything has gone. The other partitions remained
untouched for backup and Linux reasons.

> 4) Verify you have stable current all the way from your socket to your
> eyeballs. The 5500FX has a very different electrical profile than the
> GeForce3Ti 200. This might cause instability where none existed before.

How can I test this?

> 5) Ensure all nvidia secondary applications are disabled upon windows
> starting, such as nwiz and the driver helper service and the control
> panel extension. While you may want them enabled later, since they do do
> useful things oftentimes, you might want to see if they are a problem.

I have tried starting without any Autostart apps by disabling them with
msconfig, yet this didn't solve the problem.

As a new effect: when I tried booting up Win98SE this morning (cold machine?),
it started up flawlessly and let me even switch resolution and the Direct3D
tests ran as well. However, after trying to install a game, Windows started
freezing while the installer was showing me the README file(!). And, after
having to reboot, the old effects occurred again (..."wrong settings" etc.).
Is this of any help?

Thanks in advance!

Nebelung
December 30th 06, 10:40 AM
> 4) Verify you have stable current all the way from your socket to your
> eyeballs. The 5500FX has a very different electrical profile than the
> GeForce3Ti 200. This might cause instability where none existed before.

A Follow-up question: Since I don't have any problems with Linux: doesn't that
rule out stable current issues or possible problems with outdated BIOS
versions?

Davis
January 3rd 07, 06:30 AM
I am having display problems with Windows 98 Se also. Format and repartition
cleared up some of the issues, but the monitor is still dimmed. It went back
to normal for a brief moment after the restore. My poor Website looks pink.
The colors on all of the Web sites are distorted except for those in basic
silver and blue...like the browser.

The new software that I'm using for marketing and Ftp file transfer while
handling customer orders are just too much for this old machine. I get a lot
of crashes and reboots due to depleted memory.

I've decided to replace Windows 98 Se........it's time...Microsoft doesn't
support it anymore.

You'll be surprised how cheap the new systems are, compared to what you paid
for Windows 98. They are selling cheap. The new operating system Windows
Vista will be available January 30, 2007. You really don't have to wait,
because HP is providing a free upgrade with a your purchase of Windows XP on
a machine that is capable of handling the Windows Vista Upgrade.

Transferring your files can be a breeze with FTP_Pro and some Web space.
Some ISPs provide free Web space.

Davis / Southeastern Giftware
==========================
"Mr.E Solved!" > wrote in message
. ..
> Nebelung wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm running an older PC with Win98SE and SuSE Linux 10.1 in dual-boot
(which
> > worked fine without any serious issues so far). The configuration is:
> > - AMD Athlon XP 1900+
> > - Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+ Mainboard with Via chipset
> > - 1GB RAM
> > - AGP 2.0 Slot (AGP 4x)
> >
> > Now, unfortunately my old graphics card (GeForce 3 Ti200, 64MB)
completely
> > passed away (the computer kept just beeping), so I bought a GeForce
FX5500
> > with 128MB. There were no problems installing the card under Linux, the
> > latest nVidia driver works fine (except for offering me only 75Hz (?)
:-( ).
> >
> > However, under Win98SE, after changing the card I had no chance making
the OS
> > work even with the most recent Win9X-drivers (first Forceware V77.72,
then
> > V81.98). I have now wiped the whole partition and reinstalled Win98SE
with
> > the most recent available Win9X-drivers for the chipset (first tried VIA
> > 4-in-1 V4.43, then went on to VIA HyperionPro V5.10a), since the drivers
> > originally shipped with the mainboard didn't work either. I have also
tried
> > DirectX 8.1 and 9.0c.
> > During all my attempts to get Win98SE running, the behavior is strange
and
> > unpredictable with these effects:
> > - Unexpected halts with black screen while starting Windows
> > - Message boxes saying that the graphics settings were incorrect
("Either
> > graphics settings are incorrect or hardware doesn't support the
settings")
> > - Windows temporarily freezing when launching nwiz.exe (killing this
task
> > at least brings up the desktop)
> > - Windows falling back to 640x480x4 and not letting change the video
mode
> > althouth the FX5500 is set as graphics card
> > - dxdiag
> > - etc.
> > And, after the next machine reboot, the effects may be quite different
(no
> > special order).
> > I temporarily managed to get one installation running with the Via
Hyperion,
> > DirectX 8.1, and Forceware 77.72 (Direct3D tests worked fine, I could
also
> > change to any resolution). However, after rebooting it didn't work
anymore -
> > the effects listed above occurred. I had also made a partition image of
this
> > "working installation", which, when I restored it, also didn't work
anymore -
> > yet it had worked before once.
> > The BIOS setting for the AGP aperture size was 128MB for the last years,
but
> > changing it to 64MB didn't help anything as well.
> >
> > Does anyone have an idea of what's wrong and what to do with the windows
> > installation? I preferably want to keep Win98SE, because I run some
older
> > software and games. Any hints will be greatly appreciated! I have now
spent a
> > couple of days installing and have run out of ideas...
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Andreas
> >
> >
>
> Your troubleshooting and methodology is accurate and thorough, but you
> do not mention if you tried these solutions... if they seem rudimentary,
> it's not meant in any way other than, "verify that":
>
> 1) Your monitor is properly recognized by Windows as make:model, and
> that it is being driven properly it terms of sync and refresh rates. Can
> you try a a different monitor?
>
> 2) Can you get back to your last known-good position? Such as old card,
> old boot sequence/partition(s).
>
> 3) You mention you wiped the "whole partition" this is suspiciously
> worded, since you can't wipe "partial partitions". Did you mean to say
> you left other partitions untouched on your HDD during these procedures?
> Or you instead wiped the "whole volume" clear of partitions...
>
> 4) Verify you have stable current all the way from your socket to your
> eyeballs. The 5500FX has a very different electrical profile than the
> GeForce3Ti 200. This might cause instability where none existed before.
>
> 5) Ensure all nvidia secondary applications are disabled upon windows
> starting, such as nwiz and the driver helper service and the control
> panel extension. While you may want them enabled later, since they do do
> useful things oftentimes, you might want to see if they are a problem.
>
> I suspect you didn't use Driver Cleaner Pro either, also, are you using
> BIOS version F5? F6 is later, but it's beta.
>
> Good luck!
>
>