PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 2 MX no display on boot

jack
December 23rd 06, 02:40 PM
I have a Elsa Geforce 2 MX 400 32 MB AGP model. When booting the PC no
display comes up on the monitor which then goes into standby. The Pc
boots up normally even hearing the beep when it checks the video card.
When you close down the PC and boot it a second time the display
switches on but Windows XP always asks if you want a higher graphics
resolution. Click yes and the PC runs fine with no problems for
however long it is left on.
I have the latest Nvidia (as of today) drivers set to default. I have
run the graphics card connected to a different monitor and it does
exactly the same.

Any ideas?

DaveW
December 24th 06, 06:17 PM
You are using too recent of a driver for that older video card. You are
running into compatibility problems, which Nvidia does not like to
recognize. Try using the 45.23 driver for stability with that older
underpowered card.

--
DaveW

----------------
"jack" > wrote in message
>I have a Elsa Geforce 2 MX 400 32 MB AGP model. When booting the PC no
> display comes up on the monitor which then goes into standby. The Pc
> boots up normally even hearing the beep when it checks the video card.
> When you close down the PC and boot it a second time the display
> switches on but Windows XP always asks if you want a higher graphics
> resolution. Click yes and the PC runs fine with no problems for
> however long it is left on.
> I have the latest Nvidia (as of today) drivers set to default. I have
> run the graphics card connected to a different monitor and it does
> exactly the same.
>
> Any ideas?

jack
December 26th 06, 05:48 PM
On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 09:17:51 -0800, "DaveW" >
wrote:

>You are using too recent of a driver for that older video card. You are
>running into compatibility problems, which Nvidia does not like to
>recognize. Try using the 45.23 driver for stability with that older
>underpowered card.

Thanks for the reply.
I'll give it a go with the older drivers and post back.
It's just strange how the monitor will not switch on during the boot
process, only on the second attempt.

Spack
December 27th 06, 10:45 AM
jack wrote on Sat, 23 Dec 2006 13:40:34 GMT:

> I have a Elsa Geforce 2 MX 400 32 MB AGP model. When booting the PC no
> display comes up on the monitor which then goes into standby. The Pc
> boots up normally even hearing the beep when it checks the video card.
> When you close down the PC and boot it a second time the display
> switches on but Windows XP always asks if you want a higher graphics
> resolution. Click yes and the PC runs fine with no problems for
> however long it is left on.
> I have the latest Nvidia (as of today) drivers set to default. I have
> run the graphics card connected to a different monitor and it does
> exactly the same.
>
> Any ideas?

Ignore DaveW for a start. Drivers will not affect the cold boot on a
graphics card.

What motherboard do you have? If you search for the words

geforce mx cold boot

in Google Groups you'll find plenty of reports of cold boot problems with
various motherboard chipsets.

Dan

Spack
December 27th 06, 10:51 AM
Spack wrote to jack on Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:45:54 -0000:

> jack wrote on Sat, 23 Dec 2006 13:40:34 GMT:
>
>> I have a Elsa Geforce 2 MX 400 32 MB AGP model. When booting the PC no
>> display comes up on the monitor which then goes into standby. The Pc
>> boots up normally even hearing the beep when it checks the video card.
>> When you close down the PC and boot it a second time the display
>> switches on but Windows XP always asks if you want a higher graphics
>> resolution. Click yes and the PC runs fine with no problems for
>> however long it is left on.
>> I have the latest Nvidia (as of today) drivers set to default. I have
>> run the graphics card connected to a different monitor and it does
>> exactly the same.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Ignore DaveW for a start. Drivers will not affect the cold boot on a
> graphics card.
>
> What motherboard do you have? If you search for the words
>
> geforce mx cold boot
>
> in Google Groups you'll find plenty of reports of cold boot problems with
> various motherboard chipsets.
>
> Dan

Oh, forgot to include this link, which may provide a bit more info.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia/browse_thread/thread/491bc7f932d61bf/a12f8d190038ea6b?lnk=st&q=geforce+mx+cold+boot&rnum=7&hl=en#a12f8d190038ea6b

Dan

jack
December 27th 06, 10:57 PM
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:51:38 -0000, "Spack" >
wrote:

>Spack wrote to jack on Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:45:54 -0000:
>
>> jack wrote on Sat, 23 Dec 2006 13:40:34 GMT:
>>
>>> I have a Elsa Geforce 2 MX 400 32 MB AGP model. When booting the PC no
>>> display comes up on the monitor which then goes into standby. The Pc
>>> boots up normally even hearing the beep when it checks the video card.
>>> When you close down the PC and boot it a second time the display
>>> switches on but Windows XP always asks if you want a higher graphics
>>> resolution. Click yes and the PC runs fine with no problems for
>>> however long it is left on.
>>> I have the latest Nvidia (as of today) drivers set to default. I have
>>> run the graphics card connected to a different monitor and it does
>>> exactly the same.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Ignore DaveW for a start. Drivers will not affect the cold boot on a
>> graphics card.
>>
>> What motherboard do you have? If you search for the words
>>
>> geforce mx cold boot
>>
>> in Google Groups you'll find plenty of reports of cold boot problems with
>> various motherboard chipsets.
>>
>> Dan
>
>Oh, forgot to include this link, which may provide a bit more info.
>
>http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia/browse_thread/thread/491bc7f932d61bf/a12f8d190038ea6b?lnk=st&q=geforce+mx+cold+boot&rnum=7&hl=en#a12f8d190038ea6b
>
>Dan

Thanks for the link.
Seems as though plenty of people have had problems with these graphics
cards.
Some have suggested increasing the AGP voltage in the BIOS.
I am using an Abit NF7-s motherboard which has a Soft Menu BIOS. I
have increased the voltage to 1.6V from 1.5V to see how it goes. I
installed the earlier drivers with no difference.

cheers