PDA

View Full Version : Which to use Radeon X800 or Nvidia 6800LE ?

Paul Wadland
December 22nd 06, 08:32 PM
I have built a PC for my son but cannot decide which of the two cards we
have knocking about to use. One is a Radeon X800 and the other is a Nvidia
6800LE, I can unlock some of the pipelines on the Nvidia card using
Rivatuner but am still not sure which is the better card ? ...He uses his
machine mainly for games, i don't want to get into a Radeon v's Nvidia
debate guys (3 other machines all with nvidia cards in) I'm just not sure of
the two mentioned cards will give him the best performance ?
Thanks, Paul

ShutEye
December 22nd 06, 08:40 PM
> I have built a PC for my son but cannot decide which of the two cards we
> have knocking about to use. One is a Radeon X800 and the other is a Nvidia
> 6800LE, I can unlock some of the pipelines on the Nvidia card using
> Rivatuner but am still not sure which is the better card ? ...He uses his
> machine mainly for games, i don't want to get into a Radeon v's Nvidia
> debate guys (3 other machines all with nvidia cards in) I'm just not sure
> of the two mentioned cards will give him the best performance ?
> Thanks, Paul

The X800 seems to be the more powerful one.
Take a look: http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

Paul Wadland
December 22nd 06, 10:19 PM
"ShutEye" > wrote in message ...
>> I have built a PC for my son but cannot decide which of the two cards we
>> have knocking about to use. One is a Radeon X800 and the other is a
>> Nvidia 6800LE, I can unlock some of the pipelines on the Nvidia card
>> using Rivatuner but am still not sure which is the better card ? ...He
>> uses his machine mainly for games, i don't want to get into a Radeon v's
>> Nvidia debate guys (3 other machines all with nvidia cards in) I'm just
>> not sure of the two mentioned cards will give him the best performance ?
>> Thanks, Paul
>
> The X800 seems to be the more powerful one.
> Take a look: http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html
>
> Thanks for that, the X800 is alot more powerful than I thought ! I've
> obviously not had a great deal of experience with Radeon cards. Thanks
> again.

ShutEye
December 22nd 06, 11:31 PM
>> The X800 seems to be the more powerful one.
>> Take a look: http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html
>>
>> Thanks for that, the X800 is alot more powerful than I thought ! I've
>> obviously not had a great deal of experience with Radeon cards. Thanks
>> again.

YW :) I've a 6800GT myself and would love to change that for a X800.

Robin Gordon
December 23rd 06, 12:02 AM
i dont know why you said that. i have two pc's of similar spec. one has a
6800 128MB and the other an ATI x850XT PE. I cant see a big difference
unlike some of these reviews say. the nvidia card has shader 3 support so
that may help things along.
choice is yours or try both and benchmark. stick with the fastest.

Rob

DaveW
December 23rd 06, 12:59 AM
Well, the cards' performance are similar, but the Nvidia drivers are
generally more stable.

--
DaveW

----------------
"Paul Wadland" > wrote in message
> I have built a PC for my son but cannot decide which of the two cards we
> have knocking about to use. One is a Radeon X800 and the other is a Nvidia
> 6800LE, I can unlock some of the pipelines on the Nvidia card using
> Rivatuner but am still not sure which is the better card ? ...He uses his
> machine mainly for games, i don't want to get into a Radeon v's Nvidia
> debate guys (3 other machines all with nvidia cards in) I'm just not sure
> of the two mentioned cards will give him the best performance ?
> Thanks, Paul

ShutEye
December 23rd 06, 01:42 AM
>i dont know why you said that. i have two pc's of similar spec. one has a
>6800 128MB and the other an ATI x850XT PE. I cant see a big difference
>unlike some of these reviews say. the nvidia card has shader 3 support so
>that may help things along.
> choice is yours or try both and benchmark. stick with the fastest.

Mine's a 256Mbyte 6800GT and I don't own a X800 ... can only look at other
peoples tests