PDA

View Full Version : How hot 7600GS should be?

replicator
December 18th 06, 03:00 PM
hi
i have a leadtek PX7600 GS TDH VGA card, heatpipe cooling.

It is quite hot when working can barely touched. how hot it should be?
is it normal?

Thanks

bubo

ShutEye
December 18th 06, 09:48 PM
> hi
> i have a leadtek PX7600 GS TDH VGA card, heatpipe cooling.
>
> It is quite hot when working can barely touched. how hot it should be?
> is it normal?

I've a 6800gt and it gets around 70C when playing - that's too hot to touch
but within the limits specified by Nvidia

Mr.E Solved!
December 18th 06, 11:30 PM
replicator wrote:
> hi
> i have a leadtek PX7600 GS TDH VGA card, heatpipe cooling.
>
> It is quite hot when working can barely touched. how hot it should be?
> is it normal?
>
> Thanks
>
> bubo

I have seen overclocked 7950GT's operating with no visible issue,
including no temperature based OC restrictions, at core temps up to 95c.
That's right, hours long gaming sessions at 95c. While it might reduce
the lifespan of said card, it is fully operational.

In your case (haha, a tech-pun) things might be different, assuming your
temperature probe is on-die, I can see temps of 75c being the ceiling.

More importantly, if your case temps increase drastically, due to the
high operating temperature of the video card, that is when you have to
be concerned and take action, such as improving convection and air flow.

Overheating capacitors is the main worry with prolonged heat, flipped
bits are a concern, but that usually fixes itself..but once a capacitor
boils away it's electrolyte...it's never the same!

replicator
December 22nd 06, 04:24 PM
Hi
my card is 70-72 celsius but if I play 1 hour with half life 2 I get 98
celsius!!

(everest GPU temperature detector)

Maybe I should install a fan?
Thanks

Mr.E Solved! írta:
> replicator wrote:
> > hi
> > i have a leadtek PX7600 GS TDH VGA card, heatpipe cooling.
> >
> > It is quite hot when working can barely touched. how hot it should be?
> > is it normal?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > bubo
> >

> I have seen overclocked 7950GT's operating with no visible issue,
> including no temperature based OC restrictions, at core temps up to 95c.
> That's right, hours long gaming sessions at 95c. While it might reduce
> the lifespan of said card, it is fully operational.
>
> In your case (haha, a tech-pun) things might be different, assuming your
> temperature probe is on-die, I can see temps of 75c being the ceiling.
>
> More importantly, if your case temps increase drastically, due to the
> high operating temperature of the video card, that is when you have to
> be concerned and take action, such as improving convection and air flow.
>
> Overheating capacitors is the main worry with prolonged heat, flipped
> bits are a concern, but that usually fixes itself..but once a capacitor
> boils away it's electrolyte...it's never the same!

replicator
December 22nd 06, 07:50 PM
OK, 98C is too hot I think. So i installed a power fan onto the VGA
card passive heating area.
Now I get 45-50 Celsius on half life 2
38-40 celsius on normal use.

I think this card needs fan when GPU works hard.

Bubo