PDA

View Full Version : What To Do With a Working Compaq 2266

December 13th 06, 10:13 PM
I have an old Compaq 2266, and am trying to find a use for
it...firewall, router, ??
I don't know what current OS it will support, and the RAM is limited to
128Mb (I tried more..it won't work. There are reports on this issue on
the net.) IDE disk is 4Gb.

So what is this thing good for, except maybe to play solitair on ? Any
ideas.....

HH
December 14th 06, 02:58 AM
If you have high speed internet access. The 2266 has an open PCI slot. Put a
$20 NIC in it and surf the net. It shipped with Windows 98.

HH
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have an old Compaq 2266, and am trying to find a use for
> it...firewall, router, ??
> I don't know what current OS it will support, and the RAM is limited to
> 128Mb (I tried more..it won't work. There are reports on this issue on
> the net.) IDE disk is 4Gb.
>
> So what is this thing good for, except maybe to play solitair on ? Any
> ideas.....

Eric
December 20th 06, 03:32 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have an old Compaq 2266, and am trying to find a use for
> it...firewall, router, ??
> I don't know what current OS it will support, and the RAM is limited to
> 128Mb (I tried more..it won't work. There are reports on this issue on
> the net.) IDE disk is 4Gb.
>
> So what is this thing good for, except maybe to play solitair on ? Any
> ideas.....

Hi,

I think you pretty much answered your own question.. Turning it into some
sort of headless device is probably the most efficient use you will get out
of that thing. If you are looking for another device idea, I have an old
Deskpro that I use as an email gateway. It fetchmails all my POP3 emails,
procmails them, runs sendmail, has a web interface, ect. Works well and is
convienent.

GNU/Linux or FreeBSD will work fine on that boat anchor..

Eric
December 20th 06, 03:34 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have an old Compaq 2266, and am trying to find a use for
> it...firewall, router, ??
> I don't know what current OS it will support, and the RAM is limited to
> 128Mb (I tried more..it won't work. There are reports on this issue on
> the net.) IDE disk is 4Gb.
>
> So what is this thing good for, except maybe to play solitair on ? Any
> ideas.....

Hi,

I think you pretty much answered your own question.. Turning it into some
sort of headless device is probably the most efficient use you will get out
of that thing. If you are looking for another device idea, I have an old
Deskpro that I use as an email gateway. It fetchmails all my POP3 emails,
procmails them, runs sendmail, httpd, has a web interface, ect. Works well
and is convienent.

GNU/Linux or FreeBSD will work fine on that boat anchor..

December 22nd 06, 10:57 AM
if youre interested in selling the old presario 2266 I would like to
purchase it.

I used to have one with the Cyrix CPU as a kid, unfortunately I got
rid of it some years ago. I would like to get one just to remind me
of it :)

Let me know.
Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Final
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy